quade

Obama at Berlin

If would be forced to ban himself, the servers would lock up.
That was a PA...or at least in the "grey area" of dizziedotcom rules anyway.

You -do- understand what the word divest means yes?

I was congratulating him on getting rid of a crazy ex-girl friend. How the hell is it possible to twist that into a personal attack?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So Obama is good at public speaking...how does that translate to leadership skills?
:S

Anyone who doesn't think good communication skills are a necessary component of good leadership either doesn't listen or doesn't understand. Of course that doesn't make them the only requirement, but they are crucial nonetheless.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Did you listen to his speech? It was entirely about world unity.

OK, what, in your opinion, is that? (world unity)

I am not trying to be a smart ass but you know he is one in the Senate who co-autored a bill that would take .9% of the US GNP and give it to the UN to fight world proverty.

Seriously...did you listen to the speech? HE talked about tearing down walls and building bridges. Walls that weren't there 5 years ago. There was really nothing confusing about what he said.

What does that bill have anything to do with? Kinda came out of left field with that one.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Tell me what specifically tears down walls and builds bridges means?

How and what is he talking about?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Barack Obama was in Germany today, and 100,000 people showed up. There were so many Germans shouting and screaming that France surrendered just in case.

-Craig Ferguson

He’s like a rock star over there . . . which is impressive until you hear that David Hasselhoff is also like a rock star over there.

-Jimmy Kimmel

Have you heard John McCain’s new campaign slogan? “Hey guys, I’m over here!”

-Jay Leno

One more from a week ago:

"The other day the plane that Barack Obama was on had some mechanical difficulties and was forced to land. Well, the National Transportation Safety Board did an inspection on the plane, and you know what they found? The bolts on the plane were fine, but apparently Jesse Jackson had taken some of the nuts off." --Jay Leno
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I don't see it as the shining example of the reason he should make a good candidate for a leader.

He tries to promise the Palestinians that they WILL get along with Isreal...but Isreal WILL keep Jerusalem....whuch is mutually exclusive to Palestine.
So now how's this going to work again???
As long as we have religion on this planet, world unity is impossible.

Tell me then, just what is he speaking of?

As for "fair assesment"? I feel you too blame the US for just what I do not understand.

Man, talking to you can be confusing. I put his exact quotes up there, including praise for American and admission of mistakes.

Do I blame the US? Yes for some things, but no for the vast majority of things.

I blame lots of deceased Americans for their participation in slavery. I blame lots of Americans for the current housing/mortgage fiasco. I blame the US for the internment of an awful lot of law-abiding American citizens solely on the basis of their Japanese heritage. I could go on, but the point remains. We've made some mistakes, but we've enjoyed far more successes. Hopefully we can learn from the former and continue the latter.

Blues,
Dave

I will keep this question simple then.

What does he BHO stand for? (the man not the letters) Exactly?
What would he do (or said he would do) that makes him you choice for president?
What experiences and accomplishments help qualify him for the office?

So your questions in this thread haven't been about Obama's speech in Berlin yesterday (ala the thread title), but rather what my impressions are of him and why I think he'd be a better choice than JSM-III (which is what I presume you call the GOP candidate, given your insistence on BHO).

I don't think my impressions of Obama are particularly germaine to the discussion, but I'll humor you anyhow.

I think Obama is far more honest than most politicians. He doesn't seem to dance around difficult facts in order to patronize his audience nearly as much as most politicians. I think he wants to work toward a day when the minimum lifestyle in the US is reasonably tolerable (i.e. includes food, shelter, and healthcare). I think he wants the US to be respected throughout the world rather than disdained. I think the fact that he and his wife both came from humble beginnings lend them perspective on the life of the common man. That they each rose above their beginning to earn a J.D. cum laude/magna cum laude from Harvard Law speaks to their intelligence and work ethic. I think experience as a Constitutional Law professor is a terrific qualification for office in a time when we seem to be moving away from the design our framers intended, especially given the likelihood of USC nomination(s). I think Obama's tenure as a state and then federal legislator is just about the right amount...enough to get perspective on the machinations without being so much that he owes everyone and their deputy the shirt off his back and 14 pet pork projects. I most certainly don't agree with every one of Obama's policy positions and downright disagree with some of his personal opinions, but pound-for-pound, he might be the best (presumed) nominee I've seen the GOP or DNC put up in my lifetime. Is he perfect? Absolutely not, and to his credit, I think he'd admit that. He's just got much, much more upside than his opponent (or recent predecessors, for that matter).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Skimming it looks like a typical patronizing and hypocritical speech.

Exactly, a speech that said and meant absolutly nothing. But it made someone feel good.

Just like many/most speechs from both sides[:/]

I was thinking about this during a lengthy drive yesterday because I've been having inklings of agreement with the folks who don't listen to Obama speak, but rather dismiss them outright as pretty but empty rhetoric. Here's why I mostly disagree. Without fail, most recent Presidents have made campaign promises that they simply couldn't follow through on. Whether it's a free pass to gays in the military that gets watered down to "Don't ask, don't tell" or a promise of sweeping educational reform that becomes a failed "No child left behind" program, it is almost guaranteed such that the ideals touted on the campaign trail will be diluted by compromise. Additionally, if a candidate were to spend all his time discussing minutia like the ins and outs of his particular tax reform program, he'd be seen as an unfit leader with too narrow a view and no grasp of the big picture. Granted, the level of detail most people seem to want is of the, "What will you do for ME?!" variety, but I think you and I agreement that the opinion that promises of specific relief or welfare of any variety (social or corporate) is entirely too patronizing and shouldn't be the primary basis for electing our highest leader. This is where I think Obama succeeds. He's trying to get the job of President of the United States. The President steers the ship in the direction he thinks it should go, but has underlings who translate his ideals into policy. Do I think we need a CPA as President because he needs to be able to write a balanced budget? No. I think the President should have a grasp of the complexity of such a document, and the wisdom to direct people to spend in a manner most closely mirroring his ideals. So what we're really voting for (if we want a good leader, not a good source of concessions) is someone who can motivate a people and lead them in a positive direction. This "empty rhetoric" so many accuse Obama of is actually the opposite...it's him giving us his resume and highlighting his view of our nation and it's place in the world (foreign policy being one of the most important functions of the Presidency). With his skills as an orator and his ideals regarding treatment of others, I gotta say I think he'll be a fantastic improvement over the foreign policy failure currently residing in the White House or the increasingly lockstep twin who wishes to succeed him. Why do I think this? In part it's because he *isn't* falling prey to the accusations that his words are empty of any detail. Instead of buying our votes with promises of handouts, he's selling himself to us...giving us a better idea of who he is and how he thinks things should work from a big picture perspective.

I appreciate that, but can respect that not everyone else will.

Blues,
Dave

Just an excellent post.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I am not trying to be a smart ass but you know he is one in the Senate who co-autored a bill that would take .9% of the US GNP and give it to the UN to fight world proverty.

I don’t get it I really don’t anymore.
Outrage for spending our money to help world poverty pisses you off more then spending a lot more on a false war, destroying are economy, killing brown people, and killing our troops.

Why?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

In any event, for BHO's speech

That is why the greatest danger of all is to allow new walls to divide us from one another.

The walls between old allies on either side of the Atlantic cannot stand. The walls between the countries with the most and those with the least cannot stand. The walls between races and tribes; natives and immigrants; Christian and Muslim and Jew cannot stand. These now are the walls we must tear down.

We know they have fallen before. After centuries of strife, the people of Europe have formed a Union of promise and prosperity. Here, at the base of a column built to mark victory in war, we meet in the center of a Europe at peace. Not only have walls come down in Berlin, but they have come down in Belfast, where Protestant and Catholic found a way to live together; in the Balkans, where our Atlantic alliance ended wars and brought savage war criminals to justice; and in South Africa, where the struggle of a courageous people defeated apartheid.

So history reminds us that walls can be torn down. But the task is never easy. True partnership and true progress requires constant work and sustained sacrifice. They require sharing the burdens of development and diplomacy; of progress and peace. They require allies who will listen to each other, learn from each other and, most of all, trust each other.

That is why America cannot turn inward. That is why Europe cannot turn inward. America has no better partner than Europe. Now is the time to build new bridges across the globe as strong as the one that bound us across the Atlantic. Now is the time to join together, through constant cooperation, strong institutions, shared sacrifice, and a global commitment to progress, to meet the challenges of the 21st century. It was this spirit that led airlift planes to appear in the sky above our heads, and people to assemble where we stand today. And this is the moment when our nations - and all nations - must summon that spirit anew.

Sounds like an excellent observation and a wise goal.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Tell me what specifically tears down walls and builds bridges?

Diplomacy and mutual respect.

Blues,
Dave

A leader that people will LISTEN to........ At the moment you just have a leader people laugh at!
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Outrage for spending our money to help world poverty pisses you off more then spending a lot more on a false war, destroying are economy, killing brown people, and killing our troops.

Why?

You lay out false fucking pemises here to try and make a point. You failed, try answering the question
Abraham Lincoln

In any event, for BHO's speech

That is why the greatest danger of all is to allow new walls to divide us from one another.

The walls between old allies on either side of the Atlantic cannot stand. The walls between the countries with the most and those with the least cannot stand. The walls between races and tribes; natives and immigrants; Christian and Muslim and Jew cannot stand. These now are the walls we must tear down.

We know they have fallen before. After centuries of strife, the people of Europe have formed a Union of promise and prosperity. Here, at the base of a column built to mark victory in war, we meet in the center of a Europe at peace. Not only have walls come down in Berlin, but they have come down in Belfast, where Protestant and Catholic found a way to live together; in the Balkans, where our Atlantic alliance ended wars and brought savage war criminals to justice; and in South Africa, where the struggle of a courageous people defeated apartheid.

So history reminds us that walls can be torn down. But the task is never easy. True partnership and true progress requires constant work and sustained sacrifice. They require sharing the burdens of development and diplomacy; of progress and peace. They require allies who will listen to each other, learn from each other and, most of all, trust each other.

That is why America cannot turn inward. That is why Europe cannot turn inward. America has no better partner than Europe. Now is the time to build new bridges across the globe as strong as the one that bound us across the Atlantic. Now is the time to join together, through constant cooperation, strong institutions, shared sacrifice, and a global commitment to progress, to meet the challenges of the 21st century. It was this spirit that led airlift planes to appear in the sky above our heads, and people to assemble where we stand today. And this is the moment when our nations - and all nations - must summon that spirit anew.

Sounds like an excellent observation and a wise goal.

OK, what walls between old alies? Lie number one. No need to go one. This scribble is main lies from beiging to end and you all buy it.
Abraham Lincoln

How and what is he talking about?

Damn you're demanding. Sorry not playing this game with you. don't really have the time since I'm at work.

Cause you cant. My question cant be anwered because there is no answer.

If he has said somethig laying it out then please, provide a link.
Abraham Lincoln

Diplomacy and mutual respect.

Blues,
Dave

Hm, and whom among our allies have we lost this from?

Germany? Dont think so.
Britian, No
Who, gonna list our enemies now?

BHO is becoming a leader for a religion, not a county.
Abraham Lincoln

Why?

You lay out false fucking pemises here to try and make a point. You failed, try answering the question

If I were him I wouldn't either. It appears to be a fruitless discussion. Sitting here reading your posts it's pretty clear it doesn't matter what anyone says, you'll find a way to dismiss it or ask another set of questions until you get the response you want.

The problem seems to be that instead of taking the opportunity to understand why someone believes something, even if you don't agree with their motives yourself, you'd rather take it as an opportunity to tell them why they shouldn't believe it.

Personally, I don't have any issue with you doing that, but I wouldn't expect the conversation to really go anywhere.

Anyway, back to the regular speakers corner programming.....

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

This line was within the post. A false premise IMO.

He nor you will answer the question, but I knew before I even posted it that it could not would not be answered, because it cant be.

Can you answer it?

Why so you post a down you nose snide ass remark? Because you are a greenie and you can?[:/]

Abraham Lincoln

Why?

If I were him I wouldn't either. It appears to be a fruitless discussion. Sitting here reading your posts it's pretty clear it doesn't matter what anyone says, you'll find a way to dismiss it or ask another set of questions until you get the response you want.

The problem seems to be that instead of taking the opportunity to understand why someone believes something, even if you don't agree with their motives yourself, you'd rather take it as an opportunity to tell them why they shouldn't believe it.

Personally, I don't have any issue with you doing that, but I wouldn't expect the conversation to really go anywhere.

Anyway, back to the regular speakers corner programming.....

Ian

Is it possible to make your 4 paragraphs my sig. line - directly quoted to yourself? Brilliant? Or just SC SOP's?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'