Andy9o8

Does being a President's spouse (Dem or Repub) count as relevant "experience" to hold the job oneself?

My wife argues that, in modern times, most Presidents' wives are so close to and engaged in the action, and are so influential on their husbands' decisions (espcially in private conversations) that - like it or not - being a presidential spouse really does count as relevant "experience" - regardless of whether Democrat or Republican. Aside from Hillary, - Betty Ford, Rosalyn Carter, Nancy Reagan, and Barbara Bush all seem to have been pretty closely engaged in their husbands' presidencies, even if mainly behind-the-scenes. (Not really sure about Laura Bush, yet.)

What do you think - does being a president's spouse (whether Dem or Repub) give a person enough real-world "White House experience" that it adds significantly to that person's resume in case someday she/he wants to run for President in her/his own right?

(Please: try to focus on real-world qualifications for the job itself, and not on ideology, or the "unfairness" of political nepotism.)

My wife argues that, in modern times, most Presidents' wives are so close to and engaged in the action...

I don't know whether your wife is right or wrong.

I do know that if your wife is right, it is actually an extraordinarily strong argument against the candidacy of H.Clinton, because her candidacy could then be seen as a backhanded attempt to get around the 22nd amendment (both by herself and by B.Clinton).

It is much smarter for H.Clinton to base her qualifications on her own experience as US Senator. She is running against two other US Senators so this shouldn't be hard for her to do. She should avoid discussion of her prior status as First Lady wherever possible. If it is indeed true that First Lady/Gentleman is a role almost equal to that of president, then it would give one couple direct influence for 3 or 4 presidential terms--something the 22nd amendment quite rightly wanted to avoid by limiting presidents to 2 terms.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I think so. Being close to the person who holds the job means you learn a lot, whether it's intentional or not.

I agree. It's more experience than someone outside the family and staff will have.

I'm not convinced that any experience really matters though. And more so, I'm thinking that less experience might be better.
Owned by Remi #?

Most times, the answer is yes.

Being a leader (political or financial) is about relationships with other power figures and as First Lady she (let's stop pretending this is hypothetical) met and talked with these people for 8 years. In many cases, this face time is significant enough to establish a relationship, and/or to know them very well. This certainly is a leg up on having no prior contact and just using the veil of the White House to force the relationship.

Now if Hillary was a bitch to all of them and established a bad relationship, it would be a negative. However, it would be unusual for the FR to be allowed to keep pissing off the guests and hurting the President's efforts. So I think that scenario is unlikely.

I look at it like this: She had a front row seat at the job. At the very least she would have learned a great deal of what not to do and how the prowess of poltical enemies works.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

It depends on the spouse. The argument that Sen. Clinton's previous exposure gives her an edge is an overstatement I think. However, her nature as a politician and quest for influence allowed her to "soak" up more of the ambiance of the White House.

Now having said that, I do not believe any practical experience is gained to be Commander-in-Chief by being the spouse of a sitting President.

Sen. Clinton has less time in elected office than Sen. Obama, each have less time than Sen. McCain. Sen. Clinton is not nearly as astute a politician as her husband and the electorate knows this.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I look at it like this: She had a front row seat at the job. At the very least she would have learned a great deal of what not to do and how the prowess of poltical enemies works.

If you were an electrition I would not want your wife wiring my new home. Even though she had a front row seat
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If you were an electrition I would not want your wife wiring my new home. Even though she had a front row seat

That's assuming the wife is not also an electrician. Perhaps a better comparison would be a student electrician who spent 8 years discussing/observing her husband perform electrical work and has since then had several years experience working on her own?

Does the First Lady (First Gentleman?) have prescribed official responsibilities, or is it more an informal expectation of what a First Person does?

The First Person was Adam, a Caucasian guy who was made in the image of God (I've seen pictures).

Anyhow, you want the Evolution thread. Down the hall, fourth door on the left.

Does the First Lady (First Gentleman?) have prescribed official responsibilities, or is it more an informal expectation of what a First Person does?

The First Person was Adam, a Caucasian guy who was made in the image of God (I've seen pictures).

Anyhow, you want the Evolution thread. Down the hall, fourth door on the left.

I think we should just rename the position as "First Spouse" from now on. :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

my wife is a gynecologist. i know how to give a pelvic exam. i know what it supposed to look like. i should try my hand a gynecology.

We'll have to take a vote on that.

Um -- I'm not sure you get to vote on that one :D

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hillary's experience? She tried for 8 years to get her health care program approved and failed. Not good experience.

Washington Post Fact-checker
Her latest claim? Flying into Kosovo to bring peace to the region, at great risk to herself because they landed under sniper fire. Apparently, these are personal memories because no one else remembers them as she did.

Hillary Clinton has been regaling supporters on the campaign trail with hair-raising tales of a trip she made to Bosnia in March 1996. In her retelling, she was sent to places that her husband, President Clinton, could not go because they were "too dangerous."

"Honey, it's too dangerous for me to go. We'll send you instead." :D:D Understandable, but true?

In a speech earlier this week, she talked about "landing under sniper fire" and running for safety with "our heads down."

Of course, it was determined later that it was Bill Clinton doing the shooting. ;)

The photo in the story (among others) shows her standing on the airport, being greeted by an 8yo girl.
The group waited while the 8yo girl read her a poem.

No "head down sprint to the vehicles while snipers..."

video of the actual arrival

The video shows a stroll from the plane to greet dignitaries. HCs remarks state that "there was no greeting ceremony, just a sprint to waiting cars".

They edited the little girl out of the revised list of attendees, but not the video.

If it was so dangerous, why was Sinbad the professional comedian on the plane?

"No troops are available for protection of the First Spousal Unit, so we are sending a comedian."
:ph34r:

No.

Unless Bill was breaking even more rules she was largely unaware of most of the major factors in many of the situations he was briefed on and decisions he had to make.

While I cant be entirely certain I'm pretty sure 'First Spouse' does not qualify as 'need to know'

in addition there is a great distance between a legislative position and an executive one, arguing for a position is not the same as making a decision.