SimonBones

Berkley-here we go again

Looks like the hippie radicals are at it again:

http://origin.mercurynews.com/alamedacounty/ci_8239736

In 2003 (around the time the whole Afghanistan and Iraq thing started)I was traveling in uniform at the Charleston SC airport and some of these military hating folks came up and starting barking a lot of angry shit at me. I was minding my own business. My friend (also in uniform) got spit on. Don't see why they have to spend their energy getting aggressive at other Americans. I'm sure they're off at a Hillary rally now.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

From your own words, it seems that them danged Hippie radicals are all over the place, not just in Berkeley..

Oh and there's an E in the middle, Them hippies really hate it when you can't spell their sovereign state's name right
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

In 2003 (around the time the whole Afghanistan and Iraq thing started)I was traveling in uniform at the Charleston SC airport and some of these military hating folks came up and starting barking a lot of angry shit at me. I was minding my own business. My friend (also in uniform) got spit on. Don't see why they have to spend their energy getting aggressive at other Americans. I'm sure they're off at a Hillary rally now.

What those hippie, radical protesters need is one of those jobs they claim noone but an illegal will take. Just like back in the 60's and 70's, they got too much time on their hands. Anyone who spits on a U.S. Service person isn't worth the time or energy to whip their ass!

Chuck

What those hippie, radical protesters need is one of those jobs they claim noone but an illegal will take. Just like back in the 60's and 70's, they got too much time on their hands. Anyone who spits on a U.S. Service person isn't worth the time or energy to whip their ass!

A lot of what they did in the 60s/70s was necessary given the lies of LBJ/Nixon wrt Vietnam. Up until Watergate, too many people trusted that the government was right and behaving. The problem is that many of these people can't distinguish between REMFs and the foot soldiers (who were drafted anyway in that war).

Sadly, many haven't grown up out of that era.

In 2003 (around the time the whole Afghanistan and Iraq thing started)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iraq started in '03, Afghanistan started in '01.

I'm sure he knows that. Just an error in his wording. So instead of focusing on his typing or writing skills, why don't you address the topic he brings up? Are you in agreement with the pieces of shit from Berkeley?

I'm sure he knows that. Just an error in his wording. So instead of focusing on his typing or writing skills, why don't you address the topic he brings up? Are you in agreement with the pieces of shit from Berkeley?

Which ones? Taking the article at face value it sounds like both sets of demonstrators are acting at a below par level of sanity.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

People are ignorant, there's no excuse for taking out your anger towards the government on soldiers. The people protesting fail to realize that they are protesting against the power that gives them the right to do so.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

A lot of what they did in the 60s/70s was necessary given the lies of LBJ/Nixon wrt Vietnam. Up until Watergate, too many people trusted that the government was right and behaving. The problem is that many of these people can't distinguish between REMFs and the foot soldiers (who were drafted anyway in that war).

Sadly, many haven't grown up out of that era.

How true, how sad. They'd squeal like a pig under a gate if, a soldier (not that I condone it) were to spit on them.

Chuck

>They'd squeal like a pig under a gate if, a soldier (not that I condone
>it) were to spit on them.

The whole "spitting on veterans" thing has gotten a bit overblown. From a review of one book on the subject:

==========
The image is ingrained: A Vietnam veteran, arriving home from the war, gets off a plane only to be greeted by an angry mob of antiwar protesters yelling, 'Murderer!' and 'Baby killer!' Then out of the crowd comes someone who spits in the veteran's face. The only problem, according to Jerry Lembcke, is that no such incident has ever been documented. It is instead, says Lembcke, a kind of urban myth that reflects our lingering national confusion over the war.
==========

Indeed, the first accounts of "being spit on" didn't surface until well after the war, when popular movies (like Rambo) began to portray that as part of the vietnam vet's experience - even though 97% of them reported being welcomed back warmly, and 75% of them were actually against the war themselves.

Nowadays it seems like every pro-war activist knows a soldier who has been spit on. I am reminded of the days after the Kent State shootings, when nearly everyone knew Allison Krause. Knowing her allowed them to be "part of history" and to validate the anger they felt towards the National Guard. Now, it's possible that every single person in Kent State did indeed know this one freshman, but it's unlikely.

I have no doubt that some people did in fact get spit on. Heck, a panhandler in Boston once spit on me because I didn't give him any money. If you go by the published accounts of the time, however, protesters got spit on a lot more frequently than anyone else.

A few references:

http://www.slate.com/id/1005224/

http://www.vvaw.org/veteran/article/?id=350

So, basically it looks like we're talking about a conflict of displaced aggression, manifested by displaced aggression and based on a war of displaced aggression. That about sum it up?

Heck, a panhandler in Boston once spit on me because I didn't give him any money.

Tight-wad!:D I don't give to pan-handlers, either.
Good info! It's kinda' funny, how stories get told. I've just always had a strong sentiment towards our men and women in the service. I guess, that goes back to the fact that my dad and five uncles served in WW-II. As well as several friends.

Chuck

The whole "spitting on veterans" thing has gotten a bit overblown. From a review of one book on the subject:

==========
The image is ingrained: A Vietnam veteran, arriving home from the war, gets off a plane only to be greeted by an angry mob of antiwar protesters yelling, 'Murderer!' and 'Baby killer!' Then out of the crowd comes someone who spits in the veteran's face. The only problem, according to Jerry Lembcke, is that no such incident has ever been documented. It is instead, says Lembcke, a kind of urban myth that reflects our lingering national confusion over the war.
==========

Indeed, the first accounts of "being spit on" didn't surface until well after the war, when popular movies (like Rambo) began to portray that as part of the vietnam vet's experience - even though 97% of them reported being welcomed back warmly, and 75% of them were actually against the war themselves.

Nowadays it seems like every pro-war activist knows a soldier who has been spit on.

In this case however, I was there standing behind the guy. I was always trained by more senior guys that anytime media, protesters, or any other type of person is clawing at you the best thing to do is not to say anything at all. This is what I chose to do. My friend however decided to step forward and say something in our defense. He almost made it to the end of his sentence before he got some spit on his collarbone area. Believe it or not the spitter was a girl.

Yes it may be assault, but what does he do? Spit or swing? The newspapers would eat that one up. "Local service member punches out a woman" on the headlines. If you were lucky somewhere in the body of the news text it might mention the spitting. What else? Run and find a police officer and pout "not fair not fair she spat on me! Arrest her!" No, instead you just accept it, swallow your pride, and walk away. Hopefully one day that woman will grow up out of that phase and remember the day she spit in a young guys face for sacrificing 4 years of his life for the country's use (whatever they may want from him).

I'm sure out there in Berkeley some marines recruiters and recruits (they're still just military service members) are still dealing with a lot of that stuff. I'm sure they're getting spat on, yelled at, pushed around, and possibly having their vehicles vandalized. The article says that the protesters got permission from the city to stage open protest against them EVERY WEEK in the parking lot out front of their office. Can you imagine working like that? Every time you drive into work, step outside for a smoke, or leave work you have to swallow your pride against people who want to shit on you? A lot of these marines working recruiting have probably served at least one tour over in the war zone and some have probably been in for other conflicts in the past decade like Somalia or Kuwait or wherever.

Whether you want blood in Iraq or not, these marines don't deserve to be treated that way.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

The article says that the protesters got permission from the city to stage open protest against them EVERY WEEK in the parking lot out front of their office. Can you imagine working like that? Every time you drive into work, step outside for a smoke, or leave work you have to swallow your pride against people who want to shit on you?

If you can't man up for that duty, you're not much of a Marine. Any tour of duty is 100x more stressful than dealing with this sort in Berkeley.

The really brave ones are the preachers that try stumping for souls at Sproul Plaza.

How welcome is the military on campus? The Golden Knights performed at one of the smaller games last football season (only 13 dates in the season for the country) and jet flyovers opened the season against Tenn, and everyone was cheering that (though most thought it was a great FUCK YOU to the nearby residents trying to block stadium improvements).

Just think... if this was something in reverse.. the Red Koolaid crowd would want DNA evidence as proof that this actually happened.

>They'd squeal like a pig under a gate if, a soldier (not that I condone
>it) were to spit on them.

The whole "spitting on veterans" thing has gotten a bit overblown.

My oldest brother got spit on coming back from 'Nam through San Diego.

Overblown?

Clicky

Syracuse woman explains why she spit at soldier
Posted by Jim O'Hara March 20, 2007 4:04PM

A Syracuse woman accused of spitting in the face of a Fort Drum soldier at Hancock Airport pleaded guilty today, offering an apology and an explanation.

Lauren Maggi had been verbally abused on the phone by a male acquaintance who is in the military at Fort Drum, and she "displaced her anger" when she encountered the victim as she walked through the airport, defense lawyer Louis Mannara said.

"Displaced her anger"? Surrrrreeeeee she was.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How welcome is the military on campus? The Golden Knights performed at one of the smaller games last football season (only 13 dates in the season for the country) and jet flyovers opened the season against Tenn, and everyone was cheering that (though most thought it was a great FUCK YOU to the nearby residents trying to block stadium improvements).

There's also a large ROTC program on campus. Heck, there's even a Young Republicans student group, imagine that!! Republican's in Berkeley?!?!?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1