Axe_Murderer

When is it ok to shoot somebody?

I've been pondering (i know, i shouldn't :D) the idea of carrying a gun to protect myself

I actually don't know when it would be ok to use it though.... i'm interested in the views of the gun carriers on here, when would they use their gun?

How about if they were just about to get mugged in the street? Would they shoot the mugger dead? Obviously if the mugger had a knife or a gun then i know the answer would be yes (and i agree) but what if the mugger didn't have either of those, what if he was trying to mug you by using his fists? Would you get your gun out to scare him off? what if that didn't scare him off, would you kill him/her to stop somebody mugging you but not threatening your life?

I've been pondering (i know, i shouldn't :D) the idea of carrying a gun to protect myself

I actually don't know when it would be ok to use it though.... i'm interested in the views of the gun carriers on here, when would they use their gun?

How about if they were just about to get mugged in the street? Would they shoot the mugger dead? Obviously if the mugger had a knife or a gun then i know the answer would be yes (and i agree) but what if the mugger didn't have either of those, what if he was trying to mug you by using his fists? Would you get your gun out to scare him off? what if that didn't scare him off, would you kill him/her to stop somebody mugging you but not threatening your life?

If you don't know the answer to your own question you shouldn't own a gun.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Why do you need to carry a gun around? It is hard enough trying to remember phone, wallet and keys before you walk out the door.

Unless you live in the shitest area of town, are continuously outside on foot flirting with danger in that area, presumably the area has high mugging rates, you don’t need a gun in the street.

Things I could not be arsed to carry around in my pocket for the sake of it include:

fire extinguishers
socket sets
fishing rods
trolley jacks
printers
golf clubs
steam irons
and guns

Luckily, like the vast majority of the population, I don't absolutely need to press my shirt, put out house fires or waste perps without warning at any given moment on a daily basis.

if you are going to carry a gun, you better know the laws of the area you will be carrying and it would serve you well to study previous cases of self-defense shooting. if you are in a situation you don't have time to contemplate whether or not to shoot. you need to make a split second decision. i choose not to carry because i fear that i would hesitate while trying to weigh my options and guess what a jury would decide about my fate. that hesitation could get me killed. i would like to have a gun available in my home, but i have two small children so all of my guns have locks on them and the ammo isn't stored near them.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

The safe answer is - when retreat is not possible, and you believe that you or someone in your vicinity is about to be killed or suffer serious physical harm at the hands of a criminal. In most areas, you cannot shoot someone to protect property, only life.

As far as armed or unarmed muggers - I would consider any mugger a threat to my life, and would probably pull my gun. I'd only shoot if the threat continued or became more serious.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

As far as armed or unarmed muggers - I would consider any mugger a threat to my life, and would probably pull my gun. I'd only shoot if the threat continued or became more serious.

Careful, Zippo. I'm no expert, but I've always thought that you should not pull it out until it's time to use it. It you take it out to scare someone, you run the risk of having it taken from, and used to shoot you.

I've always told my wife that if you pick it up, you are then obligated to kill the guy as quickly as possible. If you don't, you are dead, yourself.

I'd be curious what others opinions are on this.

Careful, Zippo. I'm no expert, but I've always thought that you should not pull it out until it's time to use it. It you take it out to scare someone, you run the risk of having it taken from, and used to shoot you.

And if it's THAT easy to take away from you, then you could just as easily take it away from them, could you not?

I've always told my wife that if you pick it up, you are then obligated to kill the guy as quickly as possible.

WHAT???

You use the minimal amount of force to get the person to stop what he's doing.

If he stops when you pull it out of the holster, then why in God's name would you shoot him, after that?

If you don't, you are dead, yourself.

If I recall correctly, you have a higher chance of bleeding to death from being stabbed than from a gunshot wound.

I'd be curious what others opinions are on this.

Get some training from a qualified instructor.... PLEASE!!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

[email]

You use the minimal amount of force to get the person to stop what he's doing.

Get some training from a qualified instructor.... PLEASE!!!

the point that one needs 'qualified instruction' to understand the first point is a very, very sad testimony on values and on rational thought in today's public

Makes me think that in addition to a training and use requirement we should also add two more things:

an IQ requirement

a test to see if one can choose to maintain self control through various levels of antagonism and frustration

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Careful, Zippo. I'm no expert, but I've always thought that you should not pull it out until it's time to use it. .

I'd pull it out only if there werre a definite need to use it, but that doesn't mean I have to pull the trigger at that exact moment.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Careful, Zippo. I'm no expert, but I've always thought that you should not pull it out until it's time to use it. .

I'd pull it out only if there werre a definite need to use it, but that doesn't mean I have to pull the trigger at that exact moment.

pulling it out and presenting is a "use" for it - a gun is a deterrent as well as just a slug delivery device

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The time to shoot is when you can't escape and feel you or another is in grave danger.

It you take it out to scare someone, you run the risk of having it taken from, and used to shoot you.

Thats why you pull it out and if they still are agressive, you shoot. But there is NO need to shoot if the danger stops once they see the gun.

I've always told my wife that if you pick it up, you are then obligated to kill the guy as quickly as possible. If you don't, you are dead, yourself.

For someone with NO training, I would agree. However, why not get the training?

I see no reason to kill someone once they stop an attack.

I see no reason to kill someone once they stop an attack.

apparently the reason is because one is scared and/or angry

1. Forget everything you've seen on TV and in the movies, and just about everything anyone has told you, (unless they are a lawyer or a cop).

3. Buy this book and read it: http://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extreme-Firearm-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7079723-2539833?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176909726&sr=1-1

3. Check the laws of your state. The book doesn't cover the state-specific differences, but does cover the concepts.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If you don't know the answer to your own question you shouldn't own a gun.;)

Actually, this is why you should take a concealed handgun course (required by most states for a concealed handgun license). They teach you when it's okay to shoot somebody. The short answer in Texas is that you are authorized to use lethal force to stop an immediate threat of death or serious bodily harm to yourself or someone else.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Yes, take a CHL class first and get certified.

TX Law allows deadly force per PC 9.22
(1) if the actor reasonaly believes the conduct is immediately necessary to avoid emminent harm.This is what it all boils down to but here are a few examples.
PC 9.31
(a) a person is justified in using deadly force against another when and to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect himself against another's use or attempted use of unlawful force.
PC 9.32
(b) a person is justified in using deadly force against another to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping,murder,sexual assault,aggravated sexual assult,robbery,or aggravated robber.

There's also statutes for protecting a third person,protection of property, protection of life or health,protection of 3rd person's property etc.

Look up you state's qualifications and if they have a CHL law or not,b/c not all states have them.

I also recommend reading The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird.It tells how and when to carry and how tochoose your CCW etc.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Please dont take this as a PA or me picking on you. But do you think you could safely defend yourself in such a situation, i.e., being mugged. You're pumped up on adrenaline, scared and God knows what is going on in your mind. Cops spend countless of hours training and retraining just to be able to control themselves in such situations and even then they make mistakes.

Please dont take this as a PA or me picking on you. But do you think you could safely defend yourself in such a situation, i.e., being mugged. You're pumped up on adrenaline, scared and God knows what is going on in your mind. Cops spend countless of hours training and retraining just to be able to control themselves in such situations and even then they make mistakes.

They don't spend that much time training, and many do a lot less target practice than people here, or anyone that regularly goes to a range.

The fear that we're too inept to take care of ourselves seems to have been proven wrong by the states that have embraced shall issue.

I wonder who spends more time dealing with fear and adrenaline - cops or skydivers? It would of course depend on the beat in question. Harlem is a bit different from Malibu.

Knowing your laws is great however when it comes down to it you should only kill someone if they were going to kill or cause you severe bodily harm. If that’s the case when you decide to fire your gun then Fuck it I rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

If it is your life or the life of a loved one on the line then nothing else matters.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain