kallend

Does anyone here (besides me) think this is ominous?

My dad does. It's one of his regular lectures. Being a retired college professor gives you the opportunity to develop a number of standard lectures. This is the "American students are taking the easy subjects and we're falling behind" lecture. It's third, behind "it's the debt that matters, not just the deficit" and "what are we going to do with all these people."

The fact that I've heard them inures me a little, which is unfortunate, because they're all significant.

Just wanted to add a different viewpoint. Which doesn't help, unfortunately. I made up a chart that also shows what percentage of our overall population that represents.

We come out better than China (not surprising, considering their high-end infrastructure is really just being redeveloped). We're worse than Mexico. Note I'm just doing this by matching the heights of the columns -- it could be that we're ahead of Mexico as well, but it's very minuscule if we are.

This is not overall education, and I don't want to lessen the importance of any education (after all, I have a degree in sociology :ph34r:). But technical education is important, and engineering is often the practical application of technical principles. I.e. how you get there from here.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I went to a lecture on education and immigration over the weekend. While foreign graduate engineers get one year to practice with their education visas, and a decent number end up with H1Bs to work for longer, the majority apparently end up back in their home countries (which is why they send them here in the first place).

Also, we make it a whole lot harder for countries to send their students here. Other countries (England, Germany, France) are competing very successfully for students.

I added a chart to my post above showing how our number of graduate stacks up as a percentage of our population. That's even uglier.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I guess these days asking if "you want fries with that?" will be considered a public relations career.

If you want to make sure their egos aren't hurt you'll use that title - damn straight

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yeah, but we have a lot of psych degrees who assure me that I should be happy with myself and also lots of lawyers who will sue someone for not letting me feel happy with myself.

I think this thread should be locked, you're off your rocker. Ooooh, that almost ryhmed...like a poem. I like poems.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

and you'd have to add suspense-movie music, with a possible voice over by the guy that does all the movie trailer voiceovers.

don't you hear the music in the background and the voice over? I did when I opened the graph

although the voice just kept saying "blood, blood, blood, blood,...."

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

And sometimes I feel like I should've been a lawyer rather than an engineer. It hurts to see all those wealthy lawyers when my family is barely making it each month. Maybe a reduction in engineers will boost demand and, in turn, my salary? One can only hope.

PS. I just started a project where the lead software engineers are in India.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I think in order for it to be ominous, you'd need to adjust the graph to represent, not raw numbers, but per capita.

see the next post in the thread.

Wendy W.

Can't blame people for picking other degrees - you get to study long hours just to work long hours just to be cast aside before you're 50 by either younger grads or H1Bs. Perhaps if we stopped buying the claim that the people don't exist here (retraining an experienced engineer isn't that hard).

The problem is not that engineering is too hard. Rather that it is not sufficiently rewarding anymore.

While foreign graduate engineers get one year to practice with their education visas, and a decent number end up with H1Bs to work for longer, the majority apparently end up back in their home countries (which is why they send them here in the first place).
Wendy W.

Ok, as long as we are clear that's not why we sent Remy! We don't want him back.