funks

Fuck Black History Month

Woo, dejavu. Am I back in the 60s again? I knew that stuff I experiemented with would come back to haunt me. Yeah, my home town in the 50s 60s when I was a kid.

Colored drinking fountain at Court house
Colored city park
Colored school
Colored rest rooms & balconey at the theatre
Colored restroom at the Court house

Ball park Whites only
City Pool Whites only

SW part of town = nigger town

Yep, the good old days. Guess what. Some of my peers who are African American remember those days too. Hardly skin off my white nose if we celebrate the African Americans who helped shaped our world and changed some of that crap.

Hate and bitterness are not good for you, man. Let go of it and you'll live longer.

/rant & sarcasm

steveOrino

Hardly skin off my white nose if we celebrate the African Americans who helped shaped our world and changed some of that crap.

I agree. Celebration is a good thing. Celebrate the freedom, don't celebrate the skin color.

Black people make it a color issue. Not white people. Black people don't want equal treatment, they want special treatment.

Uh, you missed the point. Where unfair disadvantage to minorities existed, that created an unfair comparative advantage to white people. So the advantage to white people existed. The civil rights court decisions and laws were designed to remove the comparative disadvantage to minorities.

No. I think you misssed the point. I am not even sure where to begin with a response because you seem to be way out in left field. You are stating facts that I agree with but for some reason you are trying to get them across as some sort of point???:S

From what I can gather, you are referring to the advantages white people had 100 years ago. Correct?

Try just 40 years ago.

The DISadvantage of a second third-class education lasts a lifetime.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Oh Goddamn. You trying to give me a headache? Pass the Tylenol and a double whiskey on the rocks please. Back to the thread. I had a headache on MLK day listening to all the crap. Another month of it? Make it a triple please. No. Just give me the bottle[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I'm not Irish either; and I can really live without St. Paddy's Day getting stuck up my ass every year, but I don't let it get me bent outta shape. Just keep the fucking green beer away from me, thankyew. Ech.

What kind of skydiver are you?

No matter, St Patrick's Day is as much Irish as Christmas is Christian. Or not very much. Might as well call it National Beer Day (why can't it be the entire month of March?).

There's also been a thread about some place wanting to do a gay history month.

My company does. Gay/Lesbian, Transexual month. They will give the employees access to every gay pride parade in the country. Seriously. My company is big on diversity.

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I'm not Irish either; and I can really live without St. Paddy's Day getting stuck up my ass every year, but I don't let it get me bent outta shape. Just keep the fucking green beer away from me, thankyew. Ech.

What kind of skydiver are you?

No matter, St Patrick's Day is as much Irish as Christmas is Christian. Or not very much. Might as well call it National Beer Day (why can't it be the entire month of March?).

Don't get me wrong; I love my beer. I just like it brown.

I never know when it is either...But then again, I don't know when it is any "month".

Then buy a calendar :o

Give me your address I can send you a diversity calendar my company passed out to all the employees.:S

So much money wasted....

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Racism is a part of life that is never going away despite what the government does to make things perfect.

I particularly dislike reverse discrimination. Being mostly white I never feel much racism, but when I do it drives me nuts.

At one time I really wanted to smokejump. Since I was mostly White I didn't score enough points to get on. To get ahead in the Forest Service you really need to be a minority. Work ethic or skill may not have much to do with their hiring process....

This is getting a little off topic, but it does fit with how the Government can really screw things up in an effort to make everyone equal.

I work on an Indian Reservation. 99% of the kids in our school are Native American. Some days parents will hurl insults at you because you are a different race. Students sometimes do the same thing. That's the thanks you often get for trying to help their kids.

And then take a look at the Reservation System. It is truly awful. This is another grand idea, by big brother to fix things. Native People here receive money each month for doing nothing. There is also free health care. Houses are given for little or nothing. Tuition is free at most State Colleges if one chooses to go to school. And there are many other benefits if you are Native American, including hiring practices.

But yet a large majority of these people choose to live in poverty and ignorance. The crime and violence rates here are out of sight. When I first started working here (22 years ago) this town had the highest per capita murder rate in the entire United States. Paul Harvey said that he wouldn't even fly over the place in an airplane. Many people call it stab city because of all the stabbings. The latest trend is kids burning houses down. One of of our retiring teachers had her house burned down a couple weeks ago. That was her thanks for thirty years of teaching here.

I'd like to say that things are getting better here but actually things are getting far worse. (No, I don't live in this town). I never put my family in that kind of danger, and I commute to work.

If anyone out there has a plan for this problem, I'd like to hear it. The governments ideas have been a collossal failure. I don't think throwing money at the problem is the answer. Millions of federal dollars are already being wasted each year, trying to fight the problem, with little success.

I wonder if cutting the money off and integrating these people into the rest of society would be a better option.

Yes, I know that my great great grandparents may have stole their land, but wasn't there a war, and haven't other races been conquered throughout history.

Actually one of my great grandparents was 100 % Native American. Some of my relatives came from a Reservation in Oklahoma. But I really don't see how that entitles me to anything from the government.

Maybe I should have said I was Native American, when I wanted to Smoke Jump. If I was smart, I could have gotten on with them, by saying I was 1/4 Native American, instead of being 1/8.

Some people say there are no jobs in Indian Country. Yet, I know employers here who can't find people to work for them. Why work, if there if there is all this free money to sit around an do nothing. This leads to a huge erosion in a person's self respect. Many of them turn to alcohol or drugs for this reason alone. In many families there is little purpose for a male, head of the household.

Then there is the growing Meth problem.

I hate to be so pessimistic or sound cold hearted, but I think I am being very factual in these statements.

I could go on and on about the problems here....Whew! I really got off on a tangent, didn't I......Steve1

When I was growing up.. there were VERY FEW black faces found in our history books.. .

Then the issue is one of not recognizing the role of african americans in general American History period. Would it not be more constructive in the long run to integrate their role in our history into existing history classes, rather than having a seperate emphasis on thier role? I see the need for acknowledging how they took part in shaping history but my personal feeling is that these sort of racialy specific recognition months/ceremonies/awards etc serve only to amplify the divide between people of diferent backgrounds. The end goal is admirable but the aproach is flawed.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

So then how do you feel about Breast Awareness Week??

We don't need one. Every week is Breast Awareness Week.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

honestly.. whotf cares what anyone wants to celebrate every month? unless i get the day off, or am FORCED to attend some silly meeting/gathering it doesnt affect me at all.

I have a problem with most things meant to Balkanize people. These things move us from a country of individuals into a country of factions.

I happen to agree with Morgan Freeman: "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history." He also said on 60 minutes that he believes racism will continue as long as people identify themselves by skin color. I completely agree with him.

What's the purpose of "Black History Month?" Is it to point out that blakcs around the world have made significant contributions to the world? To celebrate successes? Well, if that's the case, then to be real history there damn well oughtta be a thorough examination of the failures, too.

Why not have "History." "American History." "African History." Events and places should have a history. Not races.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Segregation does not exist today. Minorities have been given and currently receive plenty of benefits to help advance within society. You deserve nothing.

At my local Kroger, every employee is black except the manager who is white. 99% of people riding the public transport system here are black.

How do you explain that.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Segregation does not exist today. Minorities have been given and currently receive plenty of benefits to help advance within society. You deserve nothing.

At my local Kroger, every employee is black except the manager who is white. 99% of people riding the public transport system here are black.

How do you explain that.

99% of people riding the public transport system here are black..

That explains who rides in the back of the bus :o

Get a fucking clue please...here's a quick tutorial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._patricks_day

I do celebrate St. Patricks day for what it is meant to be...and for what it has become. Just like my family does for Xmas.

Proud to be irish and proud to be catholic

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....