swedishcelt

religious commercials during prime time

I just saw three commercials in the last hour on ABC. One sponsored by Mormons, Luterans and one by Scientology. I have a personal belief system but this irks me. I just think it more appropriate to have religious commercials consigned to religious channels. Commercials are bad enough, now people want to sell their form of God???

Does anyone else get bothered by this?

I just saw three commercials in the last hour on ABC. One sponsored by Mormons, Luterans and one by Scientology. I have a personal belief system but this irks me. I just think it more appropriate to have religious commercials consigned to religious channels. Commercials are bad enough, now people want to sell their form of God???

Yes. Recruiting religions bother me. I respect everyone who is to find god will do so in their own way. I wish they would be more respectful of the fact that my way is not their own.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Doesn't bother me any more than a political attack ad, or an ad for the new Quadruple Bacon Cheeseburger with free SuperSizing. But then the only time I see commercials is when I'm near the TV in the break room, which inevitably has three or four women watching soaps or a news show. (Never figured out what, exactly, those women _do_ here.)

It does not bother me at all. What bothers me is when I am out getting pissed and they want to try and convert me on the street.

I can turn off a TV, or just ignore it. It is harder to ignore a person in front of you.

And then when you ask them to leave you alone they press more.

Sheesh.

I haven't yet seen one by any of these three that has ever bothered me.

Their money is just as green as any other "Company".

What DOES bother me is religion's tax free status, but that's a different topic altogether.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't get bothered by it. I do get bothered by people knocking on my door and wanting me to join up. Though if I have time, I usually will invite them in and try to convert them, citing things and examples as to why they are committing heresy in doing what they are doing.

I cannot do that with commercials. But, from a practical standpoint, I think they are about as benign as commercials can be.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

No, not bothered at all.

Television channels are businesses, and will run the ads of people who choose to pay them. There's too much government regulation in the television industry as it is, and telling networks which commercials they can air is just silly.

if a church wants to waste their money by buying air time, that's fine with me.

Doesn't bother me any more than a political attack ad, or an ad for the new Quadruple Bacon Cheeseburger with free SuperSizing. But then the only time I see commercials is when I'm near the TV in the break room, which inevitably has three or four women watching soaps or a news show. (Never figured out what, exactly, those women _do_ here.)

Political attack ads bug me too.

I don't get bothered by it. I do get bothered by people knocking on my door and wanting me to join up.

I agree. A religious ad on TV bothers me about as much as an ad for a competitor's product. Everyone needs to promote their business/religion/whatever somehow.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

About 10 years ago, I got on a mailing list for the local scientologists. Somehow they got my first name wrong. It was always a giveaway when I got mail from them. The creepy thing is I've moved twice and they've found me both times. I've never had a thing to do with them. It's weird how they keep contacting me.

Well, last night, they called. That was a first. Anyhow, the missus answered the phone and made it abundantly clear that their efforts to contact me unwelcomed and would they please take my name off their list!!!

I'm on the Do Not Call list. Should I report them?

I haven't yet seen one by any of these three that has ever bothered me.

Their money is just as green as any other "Company".

What DOES bother me is religion's tax free status, but that's a different topic altogether.

+++ agree +++
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A church is a business. No more no less. Every business company is playing mind games through their ads. Why would it suddenly bother people when some church tries to deliver their product through TV? People are buying all kind's of senseless products they see on TV to make them feel better, "faith" is just one of them.

It's fine with me, free country and all... Buy into it, spend your money, donate, run around hailing the Lord, get your brain-fuck if it makes you feel good, whatever, I don't care. I just won't. :)
rant off

edit to add: response not directed at swedishcelt. And I agree that churches should NOT be tax free.

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

they should be taxed just like any other big business

businesses advertising on TV is fine, even religions - though religious commercials are much more annoying than others

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

religious commercials are much more annoying than others

Dunno about that. They tend to use complete sentences, and they don't jack the volume up so that even if you turn the sound down you still here them [:/] (I have a mute button, and I know how to use it).

I watch 2 shows with some regularity; one is on PBS, the other is on CBS. With a mute button, all stations are equal :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The best one? Public Broadcasting now has a "leave us your money when you die" promotion.

They have some famous (or PBS cool) person talk about how valuable PBS is, so they are mentioning them in their will.

That sucks.

Pffft.
9 out of 10 people who think it sucks don't watch PBS. :P

ABC is owned by Disney. Disney wants to appeal to families. Families go to disney. You do the math.

...Or just change the channel.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.