AggieDave

Cliche arguement actually comes true in UK.

I'm not sure what this would actually solve, and where folks will want to stop with banning people from owning random collector type items either.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/campaigns/2006/01jan/060116sam.shtml

Echo calls for ban on samurai swords after death of local man
By HoldtheFrontPage staff

The Express & Echo in Exeter is calling for samurai swords to be banned, after a local man was stabbed to death in the street.

The newspaper wants the government to stop the sale of the swords, with an exemption for licensed groups.

It is not currently illegal to buy a sword, only to carry it in public.

And a day after Sidmouth man Bradley Moran admitted killing 33-year-old Matthew Stiling by stabbing him through the heart with the 18-inch blade of a samurai sword, an Echo reporter discovered how easy it is to buy one unchecked from an Exeter shop.

Journalist David Edbrooke paid £120 for a sword with a 2.5ft sharpened blade, and said it was "as easy as buying a lotto ticket".

Echo editor Marc Astley said: "It is incredible that our reporter was able to buy such a terrifying weapon, no questions asked. I was shocked at just how sharp and heavy the blade is.

"Although they are supposed to be for ceremonial use the sword we purchased was lethal. There is no excuse for this sort of thing to be sold to anyone but licensed organisations and we will be pursuing our campaign with vigour."

David said: "Buying the sword was almost as easy as purchasing a pack of sweets.

"I simply went into the shop, saw two sheathed samurai swords hanging above the counter and asked to look at one.

"After giving it a quick inspection, I offered my credit card up and that was that.

"The only other requirement asked of me was to write my name and address in a little black book that the shop kept.

"I found it staggering that I was able to go into a city centre shop and in a matter of minutes walk out with such a dangerous, offensive weapon - I've spent more time in my local newsagents picking numbers for the lottery or buying a bag of marshmallows than I did buying the sword."

The campaign has been backed by Devon & Cornwall Police and Exeter Police as well as Matthew's family.

Marc added: "There will be some who argue that household knives could be as deadly as samurai swords.

"Try telling that to the family of Matthew Stiling.

"When his killer became aggrieved he didn't reach for the kitchen drawer, he armed himself with a weapon worth hundreds of pounds and murdered an innocent young man.

"The Echo accepts that some martial arts groups use such weapons innocently.

"We hope they will accept that calling for their sale to be restricted is sensible and reasonable.

"We will pursue this campaign to the bitter end and will be calling on Echo readers to play their part too.

"If that means that together we help prevent a single death or injury, it will have been worth it."

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The newspaper wants the government to stop the sale of the swords... "It is incredible that our reporter was able to buy such a terrifying weapon, no questions asked. I was shocked at just how sharp and heavy the blade is. "some martial arts groups use such weapons innocently. We hope they will accept that calling for their sale to be restricted is sensible and reasonable.

First the came for the gun owners, and the sword owners did not speak up, because they weren't gun people.

Then they came for the sword owners, and the kitchen knife owners did not speak up, because they weren't sword people...

Quote:

"In Germany, they first came for the communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist.
Then, they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics.
I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak up."

- Reverend Martin Niemoller, German Lutheran pastor arrested
by the Gestapo, 1937, a decorated U-Boat skipper during WWI.

Where will the British madness end, for banning everything that can possibly be used to hurt someone?

Not to worry though, you can use a can of spray deoderant for self defense!

hmm I wonder how easy is to buy a baseball bat in the UK. When someone gets killed with a baseball bat will they ban baseball bats?

One can only hope that they will ban baseball itself :P
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

The Express & Echo in Exeter is calling for samurai swords to be banned

Ahh yes, that well respected voice in British law and legislation, the town newspaper. What with such high authority on these matters I expect to see the law in place by July :S

On a serious note, the people whos houses i've ever been too with swords or weapons like that have been fucking nutters obsessed with violence although Im sure their are the legitimate enthusiasts. I know one guy whos son went a bit funny so he glued the sword to the scabbard and drilled a hole through the centre and nut & bolted it so that it couldnt be drawn in a rage.

Anyone notice the hysterical drama-queen phrasing and presentation of the article? Designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason and get people to act quickly on hysterical fears without considering the sanity of the proposed idea. As if the uncontrolled availability of big sharp things has suddenly become an intolerable crisis and imminent threat to life and limb to anyone in the UK.
The only thing will cure UK society of this bizarre "gotta control EVERYTHING" disease will be when a whole bunch of whackos, in seriously mass numbers goes on a killing spree armed with... Golf clubs, gardening machetes broken vases 3-inch kitchen knives cricket bats farming implements umbrellas and billiard balls in socks.
(. "It is incredible that our reporter was able to buy such a terrifying weapon, no questions asked. I was shocked at just how sharp and heavy the blade is.)
...Why aren't they being shocked and horrified about how easy it is to buy a new lawnmower blade? In a pinch I could use a lawnmower blade with one end wrapped in electric tape as a very effective improvised sword. So much for banning shit. I'm stunned that they are willing to do such insane things to their own citizens for such insane reasons... Collect the guns. They'll use knives. Collect the knives. They'll use broken glass. Outlaw glass. They'll use rocks and sticks. Outlaw rocks...?
UKers around here get justifiably tweaked when some around here (JR?) endlessly attack their policies. I can understand that, but there is a reason. JR is trying to help be America's immune system against that disease. He is quite justifiably scared the disease will spread and establish a beachhead here in the states and he strikes at anything that could be an outbreak, hoping to kill it before it establishes itself as "reasonable" to control and restrict sales and ownership of swords knives guns lawn equipment etc....
Is there anyone left in UK society who is allowed to consider themselves adults except for politicians military and cops? I know it must suck getting bashed by us unruly trigger happy Americans and all but from where we stand, it looks like the UK is being turned into one giant elementary school under perpetual "lockdown" where there are no adults except of course politicians, who can have whatever weapons they want. After all, THEY can be trusted, right?
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I know one guy whos son went a bit funny so he glued the sword to the scabbard and drilled a hole through the centre and nut & bolted it so that it couldnt be drawn in a rage.

...And when the son found his sword had been fucked with he flew into a rage and killed his dad with an improvised sword made out of a tape-wrapped lawnmower blade, causing a legislative crisis and calls for the banning of lawns, because lawns lead to ownership of lawn tools and lawn tools lead to murder...
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

The majority of swords produced commercially have "safety" features built in because of the rare nutcase like this. The most notable of these is a very weak piece of metal where the blade connects with the hilt. If you try to hit something with it, chances are the blade will break off before you manage to do any real damage. I have broken some of these swords in half over my knee. Also, the majority of these blades are not very sharp at all. They'd probably mash a tomato instead of making a clean slice, and there aren't a whole lot of places that will fully sharpen a sword. These tourist swords are the swords people get at places like hotel gift shops, heraldry shops, ebay, and cheaper places at renaissance faires. If someone wants to find a sword that will stand up to real use, they usually need more than a little knowledge about weaponry or quite a bit of luck in stumbling across a good weaponsmith that will actually sell a quality blade to someone who knows nothing about it.

People own swords for many different reasons. Many people own swords and knives for historical interest. Others own them because they use them in martial arts. Some people own them because they have an interest in King Arthur/Lord of the Rings/some other fantasy stuff. Others own them because they collect movie/tv memorabilia. Some own them because they work at renaissance faires. Others own them because they are part of their military uniform. And, of course, others just enjoy them because they think they're interesting for whatever reason.

A sword is a very impractical weapon in today's society. First off, it's not easy to carry around. Second, unless you know what you're doing, actually managing to hurt someone with it is not an easy task. Third, there are simply more efficient ways to dispatch someone if you really want to. If someone invaded my home, somehow I don't think I'd reach for one of my swords to defend myself, anymore than I'd reach for a baseball bat, kitchen knife, or tire iron, unless, of course, they were the only things I could get to. Any weapon is better than none at all, provided you know how to use that weapon and aren't afraid to do so if necessary. However, my swords are decoration for my renaissance faire costume and tools for my martial arts classes. While they, like almost any item, can be used as a weapon, they wouldn't be much more effective than a pointed stick.

Idle (Welsh):
Like someone who attacks you with a pointed stick?

Sgt.:
Pointed stick? Oh, oh, oh. We want to learn how to defend ourselves against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you eh? Well I'll tell you something my lad. When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me!

On a serious note, the people whos houses i've ever been too with swords or weapons like that have been fucking nutters obsessed with violence although Im sure their are the legitimate enthusiasts.

I hope i come in that second category!!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Meh, the best defence against a sword isn't legislation, its a pointy stick. 13,000 Scots whupped 40,000 sword bearing English with the dextrous use of pointy sticks at Bannockburn.....;)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

The Brits have already floated serious proposals that would ban chef's knives beyond a certain length.

No: A doctor once wrote an article in the British Medical Journal about the lethality of long chef's knives. That is a hell of a long way from floating a serious political proposal!

No: A doctor once wrote an article in the British Medical Journal about the lethality of long chef's knives. That is a hell of a long way from floating a serious political proposal!

A BAN was proposed and authorities, to include the British Home Office, actually gave the proposal serious consideration:

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call
BBC

A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Published: 2005/05/26 23:48:35 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!