Darius11

What Age should the age of consent be?

I think if we can trail 15 yearolds as adults then we should be able to trust them with the decision to have sex or not.

I think it is ridiculous to say yes someone knew what they were doing when killing someone but they can’t decide if they want sex or not.

FYI- I would have never tried a 15 yearold as an adult all I am saying is there needs to be a serious discussion on what the age of consent should be.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I think if we can trail 15 yearolds as adults then we should be able to trust them with the decision to have sex or not.

I think it is ridiculous to say yes someone knew what they were doing when killing someone but they can’t decide if they want sex or not.

FYI- I would have never trailed a 15 yearold as an adult all I am saying is there needs to be a serious discussion on what the age of consent should be.

When someone TRAILS a 15 year old as and adult....that is stalking. ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

FYI- I would have never tried a 15 yearold as an adult all I am saying is there needs to be a serious discussion on what the age of consent should be.

Anyone know what the max sentance a minor can receive if convicted of murder and not tried as an adult?

It's a bad linkage.

You don't need to be 18 to know that killing is bad. And there's no age where murder becomes a reasonable option.

Sex, otoh, is perfectly fine for the right reasons. Our society holds that minors as a rule aren't emotionally mature enough to know when not to. And believing that adults have most of the power over a minor, have made it illegal for an adult to use that to have intercourse.

I believe at least some states have a minimum age separation, which seems appropriate. Having been caught in the backseat by the cops once, I was glad she was actually a couple weeks older than me. (though we were both 18 by then, barely).

Legal aside, the moral side is a bit easier. When I hear a 21yo guy talk about how mature his 16yo girlfriend is, I translate that to- she wears a C or D cup. The life experience between those ages is vast - I suspect that is what makes college guys attractive to these girls. The alternative is boys who live with their mother and have 10pm curfews.

Anyone know what the max sentance a minor can receive if convicted of murder and not tried as an adult?

I believe that in most states they would walk free the day they turn age 18.

That's why 16-year-old's are often tried as adults for heinous crimes. Because they can't be trusted to be free again in just two years.

I believe that in most states they would walk free the day they turn age 18.

That's why 16-year-old's are often tried as adults for heinous crimes. Because they can't be trusted to be free again in just two years.

Makes sense to me to try someone under 18 as an adult in that case, even with the age of consent being 18.

18 years of age. Thats still to young for many of our kids.

But most men what to do unto other mens daughters that they don't want done to their own.

We had a co-worker here earlier this year who thinks alittle different and held the above philosophy. The dude was 35 to 36 and had his way with at the time a 14 year old girl who was all for the encounters, however the mother was not when she found out. Don't take pictures and leave them laying around or post them on your personnal computer.

The girl was 15 when the mother found the photos and realized her little girl was having sex with a 35 year old.

Once he found out that he had been turned in to the police he took a gun to galveston to end his life, the police were able to convence him it was'nt worth killing himself over but the next 15 years in prison will give him time to reflect on the age of consent.

A bullet to the brain would have been my vote for the dude and I knew him, but I'm a father of 3 girls.

I think that common sense should be aplied when enforcing a consent age law.
It is not the same a 21 years old guy with a 16 years old girl that a 35 years old guy with a 16 years old girl. I personally wouldn´t do either, however, for 6 months i was having unconsented sex with a minor because i happened to turn 18 6 months sooner than my girlfriend. (I say unconsented because the law says that a minor can not consent to have sex, not because she didn´t want to or even because her mother didn´t find out).
I doubt that police would have pressed charges against me had we been caught on the backsit of the car, however, as far as i know, they very well could by the law.

You cannot write in a law every specific circumstance and enforce it strictly. I personally use the next equation:

Her age >= (My age/2)+7

It works for all ages and keeps me away from trouble. B|

Having worked in a prison as a rehabilitation therapist for sex offenders, most child sex offenders "groom" the children to sex. Even at 16, someone can be very impressionable and trusting of an adult and not fully understand what is happening to their bodies as they sexually develop. There are not laws preventing minors from having sex, as long as there is an appropriate age differential. Often 2-3 years (but not if the child is under 15 in most cases)So a 16 year old in most states could legally have sex with an 18 year old. The laws vary by state and can be very complicated. Now, (if I recall correclty) if you are in the military, the UCMJ doesn't recognize an age differential. Under 18 is statutory rape.

Talking about one age of consent for everything is not feasible. If this were the case, people would have the right to drive, jump, have sex, vote, smoke, drink, and sign legal contracts all at the same age. This would be too overwhelming, and not allow for the process of development that staggering the ages allow. That's just my 2 cents, though it may only be worth 1.
Jen

unless it has been changed the age of consent as per the ucmj is 16. since i was 17 when i joined the military, i felt that this was important info at the time.

i 13 year old can get an abortion without parental consent. there's no minimum age on paying taxes that i know of. at 18 you can vote, smoke, and volunteer for the military. you can't drink until you are 21. whatever the age of consent is, we should be consistant. jshatzkin is right that it is an overwelming amount of responsibility to be given at once, but thats life.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

i 13 year old can get an abortion without parental consent

A 13 yr old can also be raped , and no in most places a minor cant have a abortion without consent.

there's no minimum age on paying taxes

Why should there be? If anyone is making a income that exceeds a certain amount, they SHOULD pay taxes. What does this have to do with old people having sex with kids?

at 18 you can vote, smoke

Im pretty sure that any one who is 18 can have sex with whoever they want. Tell us one state that says the age of consent is 19

and volunteer for the military

once again I dont see what this has to do with adults having sex with minors.

It is one thing for a CHILD at the age of 14 to rebel and maybe sneak out, or try a cigerette, or yell at his parents. That is all normal child things sometimes. It is another thing, to take an adult, and allow them to use a minor child as prey.

Lets look at just the physical effects that can happen when a girl that hasnt hit puberty can suffer if she has sex.

Tearing - minor or major -
Bruising- deep tissue bruising can be painful and can depending on the severity can cause further issues.
Irrregular Pap Smears-

If there is no protection used

Unwanted pregnancy- a 13 year old can have a magnitude of problems if she gets pregnant to early in life. The alternitive is a abortion.

STDs - no explanation ness.

Lets look at a different aspect. Children are vulnarable and naive more often then not. They are raised usually to respect their elders. They often times think that "adults" are there to protect them. Think of the emotional trama that can ensue when an adult exposes a child to something that is painful and scarey. And yes the younger you lose your viginity the more scarey it is. How much of the childs "consent" is because it is something they want? How much of it is because they dont feel like they can say no? There are plenty of cases of insest and rape where the victim doesnt realize they were raped. Yet they still have the emotional scars of being victimized. The social effects has been attributed to child sexual abuse, including anxiety, depression, obsession, compulsion, grief, post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms such as flashbacks, emotional numbing, and other more general dysfunctions such as sexual dysfunction, social dysfunction, dysfunction of relationships, poor education and employment records, eating disorders, self-mutilation, and a range of physical symptoms common to some other forms of PTSD.

Now would you consent to that?

I stand with what in the U.S is the avg age of conset 16 for the minor or older as long as the "adult" is not more then 5 years older, if the person is more then 5 years older , then the child should be 17. That seems to be the avg at least in the U.S.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

i think you are missing my point. at one end of the spectrum, a 13 year old can go to CT, HI, OR, VT, WA, NY, or D.C. and recieve an abortion without parental consent. on the other end, she will have to wait 8 more years before she is considered enough af an adult to drink a beer. she only has to wait 5 more years to fight for her country. i am only pointing out how inconsistant we are about when we consider a person an adult. this may be the way it should be. i am open to discussing it. my personal opinion is that we need to narrow this gap. how much we should narrow it though is subject to debate.

www.kjandmegan.com

>If one is not allowed to drink until age 21, I don't understand
>how having sex could be allowed at a younger age......

I'd be fine with that as long as it was consistent. No tobacco until age 21, and certainly no military service either. Surely if one is not mature enough to decide to drink a beer, one is not mature enough to decide to risk one's life in the service of one's country.

thank you bill, that is much closer to the point i am trying to make. certainly there is gray area as to when someone becomes an adult and can make adult decisions, but maybe we should revise the boundaries of that gray area. i think that is original intent of this thread.

www.kjandmegan.com

In the UK the legal age for sex is 16 without parental consent. Also anything under 16 is illegal.

Parental consent?

"Daddy, can I please go have sex with Mike in the tool shed?"

"Sure honey, the condoms are in the top right drawer in the bathroom"
:D

Oh, and the general age of consent is 15 in Denmark. I think it is only rigidly enforced when there is a large age difference.

One important point is that in situations where one party is in a "position of authority" the age of consent is 21. This means that if I as a martial arts teacher is attracted to a student she has to be at least 21, or else... I think this is a good idea.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

It's tough.

Worldwide the trend is similar. The majority of teens lose their virginity 15.5 - 16.5, the spike starts at around 14 and normalizes at 17.5.

Thats seen in most countries, regardless of consent laws. It would seem logically to dictate that the age of consent is whenever the person feels ready, if they're already ignoring the laws of their respective society.

I think it more important that protections are in place to stop predators (the 'position of authority' law and one that limits the age gap between partners until a certain age). This needs to go hand in hand with sex and social education issues in certain areas. In a country like the US the intolerance around sexual issues breeds a culture of abuse in both subtle and more typical ways. In most of Europe attitudes towards sex are more relaxed and open, without leading to the fall of western civilation or any measurable negative impacts.

Perhaps the reverse is true. Alcohol abuse in the UK and US - two countries that prohibit drinking til 18 and 21 respectively - also have the problem of teen binge drinking, something you dont see in Europe with more relaxed drinking laws. Is it any wonder that the US spawned girls gone wild? Or that flickr is really popular? ;)

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

I'd be fine with that as long as it was consistent. No tobacco until age 21, and certainly no military service either. Surely if one is not mature enough to decide to drink a beer, one is not mature enough to decide to risk one's life in the service of one's country

That is my point though. It is hard to discuss one age limit without looking at the other age limits. Personally I think 16 is far more in line for most of those limits then the current rage from 18 to 21..