jlmiracle

What did this guy do? What am I missing?

I can't figure out what this guy actually did? Can anyone else?

I've circumambulated the Capitol building once or twice in the last year with a black suitcase in tow and I didn't get tackled.

Not a clue.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

***Clearly, the guy did something wrong. Suitcase? Dressed in black? Homer Simpson would be able to tell you - that guy was spooky!!!

Dressed in black and being in possession of a suitcase or two is spooky? That describes a very high number of everyday travelers. Now, him standing in one spot and asking to see the president is strange. Him being Chinese and doing so raises eyebrows. The way the situation was handled also raises eyebrows. What is the real story? Why was he standing there asking for the president. I read that he only asked one time. From what I gather, he speaks and understands very little english. How did he phrase his question of the president? Was it misunderstood? The 3 hours he was there was mostly the supposed standoff with him. Did he understand the situation? Was he terrified of the situation? Being that he just arrived here in the good old USA, maybe he was just happy to be here and was amazed that he was in D.C.. Maybe he stated that he would like to see the president in like, maybe just see him in a motorcade or giving a speech? But not stated as so. I saw the Queen of England in Perth, Australia in 1981. Stood for hours and was wearing a black San Diego Harley t-shirt. Not one kick in the head. Thanks Perth for being so kind. If the case turns out that the man is one of those "Evil Do'ers", what can be said? If it turns out that he was just happy to be here....WOW! In that case, I see a lawsuit and a very rich new arrival.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I should had phrased that in a clearer manner. No offence to anyone. Giving the heighten state of paranoia amongst the authoritive and civilian population, some see all who are not " One of us", whatever that is suppose to mean, as a threat, for whatever reason. All in all, I fear my own government as I watch our rights being eroded away in the supposed name of protection. I fear the police state that is surely on its way.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

He did not act innocent, and this does not sound innocent

"He said that if we wanted to know what was in the suitcase, we would have to open it ourselves," Gainer said

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

yup a sentence like that calls for th swat team, no way the copper who was dealing with him could just arrest him.

If I were the cop in question...I would not have opened the bags after that remark.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

yup a sentence like that calls for th swat team, no way the copper who was dealing with him could just arrest him.

And if a bomb HAD been in the suitcases and he'd managed to blow up a bunch of people, we all know who would've been one of the first ones screaming about someone messing up, too.....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And if a bomb HAD been in the suitcases and he'd managed to blow up a bunch of people,

He would have taken that opportunity, in all likelihood, when he was first approached by a cop.

what was the benefit of tackling him? he knew they were there and were coming for him.

He would have taken that opportunity, in all likelihood, when he was first approached by a cop.

Not if he wanted an audience.

Not if he wanted an audience.

Or a bigger target

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Exactly, which is not something you would want to give him. So, you arrest him right there.

Right it would be MUCH better to have him detonate whatever he had right then than bother trying to talk to him, or maybe disarm him.:S

Right it would be MUCH better to have him detonate whatever he had right then than bother trying to talk to him, or maybe disarm him.

Which they did by tackling him from behind in front of a live audience.

Hey, I wasn't there so I don't know everything that was tried. Still wondering though why the first copper didn't arrest him though. Seems like it would have been the best solution in this case. also wouldn't have offered free suggestions to the rest of the world.

I was in DC last October and went to see the white House. As I stood there gazing at it I couldn't help but think that all I would have to do is scale that little fence and take a nice stroll on that impeccabley manicured lawn or perhaps just start a staring contest with the guard at the entrance and all my working days would be over.

>I was in DC last October and went to see the white House.

I spent a week in spring 2002 on the rooftop of a hotel in DC. It overlooks the White House grounds; you can just see the corner of the White House proper. We were there to set up a satellite test system. We mounted a big (10' tall) antenna on the edge of the building nearest the White House. You could see it from Pennsylvania Avenue. We worked some very long nights there; we'd spend all night gathering data on satellite passes, building blockages, weather attenuation etc.

When the tests were running well (most were automated) I'd stand on the edge of the roof and look at the Washington Monument, the Capital dome in the distance, and the White House lawn and gardens below me. It was a pretty cool view. Good thing I had boxes of electronic equipment instead of suitcases; they might have thought I was someone dangerous!

who this gentleman disobeyed,

In South Africa, and I'm sure in the rest of the world, you're allowed to disobey a police officer. At that point they can deciede whether or not they have sufficient evidence to arrest you.

An example. Police officer says to me -

"Come with me."

I say "Am I under arrest?"

Police officer says "No."

I say. "Then I'd rather not. I have things to do."

Or Police officer says "What's in your bag?"

I say "I'd rather not say." (having just bought myself some lovely lingerie.)

Surely the police officer needs some kind of reasoning over and above me standing in a public place to destroy my luggage and drag me to the ground?

Look, I know from experience that when I'm in the US, I do what the cops say, because I've never seen such a bunch of openly terrified fucked up paraniods in my entire life who are likely to drop you cos they're on the brink of shitting in their pants in fear of what THEY think you may do to them, even though you have no such thought in YOUR head. It's an entirely US phenomenon that I've experienced no where else in the world.

This incident? It's screwed up. Was he looking for the president of Samsonite? Did he ask for the POTUS, or was that a paranoid assumption? It also indicates to any terrorist group that 50 people with 2 empty suitcases can dominate a cities police resourses for several hours while a few others without suitcases can do something else entirely.

I have no doubt that the UK police could have cleared this up with a nod and a handshake in less than 5 min. There are many, many ways to skin a cat, but the US police know only one way, and seem to use it every chance they get. Even when there is no cat to skin.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

This guy didn't do anything wrong. He might be creepy or weird (consider what is normal.... I think its a setting on a washing machine, but I'm not sure:)
What is truly sad (at least to me), is listening to some of my co-workers say things like "I would rather they did that because he looked funny (see definition of normal above) and were wrong than do nothing at all." I remember learning in world history about these people in the 30's and 40's who thought that way.... They felt that all people that didn't have blond hair and blue eyes were inferior and that a certain group of people should be put to death because of their heritage...

All that said, the police have a VERY difficult job that they perform quite well on a dailey basis. You never hear about the 99 times they do it right, only the 1 time of the hundred that a mistake is made.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!