jlmiracle

What did this guy do? What am I missing?

I can't figure out what this guy actually did? Can anyone else?

Man with suitcases detained at U.S. Capitol
Monday, April 11, 2005 Posted: 2:35 PM EDT (1835 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Police on Monday tackled and forcibly dragged away a man with two suitcases who had stationed himself in front of the west side of the U.S. Capitol.

The incident had forced police to evacuate that side of the Capitol in fear of a possible explosion.

Police, some armed with assault rifles, moved in slowly behind the man, who was dressed in black and faced the Capitol from a plaza below its west entrance. Crouching behind the wall, the police sprang up and ran at the man, who never moved.

He was tackled by two policemen, dragged to an ambulance and taken away. Police left the suitcases behind.

Some spectators applauded as police dragged the man away.

Before the standoff ended, Capitol police spokesman Michael Lauer said the man had not said anything to police.

Among the officials whose offices are on the west side of the Capitol looking out upon the National Mall are House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, and Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada.

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I can't figure out what this guy actually did? Can anyone else?

Not from this article.

So we have to decide who to expect the worst from - some stranger with suitcases, or police. Everybody pick your bias and spout off.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>So we have to decide who to expect the worst from - some stranger with
>suitcases, or police. Everybody pick your bias and spout off.

So if you are arrested for no good reason, the "burden of proof" would be on you rather than the police? I can remember when the opposite was true.

I can't figure out what this guy actually did?

Read it this morning and had the same thoughts. There wasn't even anything about the police approaching him, asking any questions, if he made any threatening gestures or comments, etc. Course, as you point out, this has to be about the most flagrant attempt at reporting something first; rather than providing any information.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If the police tackle unsuspecting civilians and drag them away without talking to them just because they look suspicious, this better be in the news. There are countries where this happens and it doesn't get reported; you don't want to live in one of those countries.

>So we have to decide who to expect the worst from - some stranger with
>suitcases, or police. Everybody pick your bias and spout off.

So if you are arrested for no good reason, the "burden of proof" would be on you rather than the police? I can remember when the opposite was true.

Nuts - all I said was the 'reason' (if there was one) wasn't reported in the article.

Apparently your bias is to assume that the cops had no reason. I, OTOH, made no judgement statement at all other than the article was thin on crucial detail.

Edit: Actually, I did make a judgement call - that people would jump to conclusions based on such a thin article. From the looks of things, I was right in many cases.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Apparently your bias is to assume that the cops had no reason.

Not at all. They may well have had a reason. It is their job to announce that reason. People arrested for no apparent reason is a bad thing on many levels. Now, for all I know, the reason _was_ announced and the reporter just missed it - and if that's the case, then I'm not as worried.

>Apparently your bias is to assume that the cops had no reason.

Not at all. They may well have had a reason. It is their job to announce that reason. People arrested for no apparent reason is a bad thing on many levels. Now, for all I know, the reason _was_ announced and the reporter just missed it - and if that's the case, then I'm not as worried.

Then why phrase it in such a way as to take a dig in such a way to 'imply' the police are acting like a gestapo and to imply I was in sympathy with that kind of thing? (isn't that a cold tomato dish?) Just for fun?

The reporter may have missed the justification or even purposely just chose not to report it for that matter are other options here, too.

>Then why phrase it in such a way as to take a dig in such a way to
>'imply' the police are acting like a gestapo and to imply I was in
>sympathy with that kind of thing? (isn't that a cold tomato dish?)
>Just for fun?

?? I think that perhaps you've been reading Speaker's Corner for too long. I think it is incumbent upon police to announce why they arrest people, and reporters usually report such things. I would expect you would want the same if you were arrested. I don't think anyone is 'like a gestapo' - although it sure does make me sound bad to say I implied that!

Funny side note on this. From the AP article:

-------------
After the incident, Reid praised the Capitol Police officers' performance.

"What they did to get ready to take that man down was extraordinary," Reid said. "We have the finest- trained police force of any place in the country."
-------------

Next week, police will dazzle onlookers by tackling a man armed with two suitcases AND an assault spoon.

Next week, police will dazzle onlookers by tackling a man armed with two suitcases AND an assault spoon

ROFLOL:D:D. I think this is the first time Billvon made me laugh. Yes, I owe beer! I'll buy a keg if you all show.;)

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Hey, if you think your original response was perfectly innocent, then we have nowhere else to go here. If we're even on unfounded implications, then we'll call it a draw and move on.

Makes a bit more sense with this reporting.

Otherwise, I'd be afraid to wait for someone to pick me up from the airport!

-----
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Police on Monday tackled and dragged away a man with two suitcases who stationed himself in front of the west side of the Capitol and asked to see the president.

The man refused to say anything else to an officer who tried to talk with him, authorities said.

apparently nothing- they power hosed the luggage for a while and nothing happened.

Now they're charging him with disobeying a police officer. ??? Weak.

But at least they did attempt to talk first, though it's not clear that this Japanese guy speaks English.