Ron

Terri Schiavo... Died

A comment was made about how inapproriate it is to show emotion in public, people might think you care.:S

I don't even understand this.

Is this saying I care about this? If so, I do care. Not the situation in itself (should she die or not), but the response by the world (including her parents).

Otherwise,

If this is about being on TV to show you care:

Mourning for a family member should be a private thing. Why should I care that you know I care about them? If my brother died, I would not go on TV so I could sure that you know that I care for him.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

So showing that you cared for someone by crying and caring on is okay as long as no one sees you and you seek no support.

Fabulous!

Yes, whenever I am sad, I seek support from my friends in the media and you, the million of viewers watching me. :S
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

So showing that you cared for someone by crying and caring on is okay as long as no one sees you and you seek no support. I saw it as a cry for help.

Fabulous!

You see it as a cry for help, I see it as creating a circus. Gee, next time I need some emotional support, I'll be sure to call a reporter from the Star.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Maybe cause he has a girlfriend and moved on a long time ago is why he has not emotions on this.

I am sad and emotional when someone dies, it hurts when somone you love dies, it hurts alot. That is fact at least with most humans.

So I will draw the conclusion that he is hurt, since he is human. Just because he has a girlfriend does not mean he isn't sad that Terri is gone.

My issue is that her father behaved in a way that took the peace, dignity and sanctity from Terri's room in the last moments of her life. Emotions, pain, sadness are expressed in many ways, but if it's at a level that needs restraining, well, like flyangel said - her father did it to himself, and took the family down with him.

>Their becoming one person was over 15 years ago like you said when she left this planet.

Agreed. The only thing left to do was dispose of her body as she wished. It took him 7 years to make sure that happened the way she wanted. (The first 8 was taken up making absolutely sure she was gone.)

Says who? That's right her husband and the courts that beleived him. Again without a living will the parents should be the deciding factor and just let the widow get on with their lives unless of course the agree.

BS.. parents have little to no legal influence past the age of majority, nor should they.. at the point you become an, you make the decisions on who, what, when and how your life is conducted, including who shares responsibility for those decisions in your absence (the spouse)

her choice to marry HIM places HIS judgment above the parents.. (maybe you should re read the 'traditional' wedding vows??) anyone who does not accept that their spouse is now first and foremost the decisive authority SHOULDNT GET MARRIED...

do you want your mother in law making daily decisions for your husband/wife in their absence instead of you??

This just in, a statement from Tom DeLay:

----------------
Mrs. Schiavo’s death is a moral poverty and a legal tragedy. This loss happened because our legal system did not protect the people who need protection most, and that will change. The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior, but not today. Today we grieve, we pray, and we hope to God this fate never befalls another. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Schindlers and with Terri Schiavo’s friends in this time of deep sorrow.
----------------

Which begs the question - how will he make men who let their fathers die answer for their behavior?

This just in, a statement from Tom DeLay:

----------------
Mrs. Schiavo’s death is a moral poverty and a legal tragedy. This loss happened because our legal system did not protect the people who need protection most, and that will change. The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior, but not today. Today we grieve, we pray, and we hope to God this fate never befalls another. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Schindlers and with Terri Schiavo’s friends in this time of deep sorrow.

OK so Tom is acting like an ass here.

Which begs the question - how will he make men who let their fathers die answer for their behavior?

Oh I wish someone had asked him that.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Michael's lawyer is on CNN right now talking about the whole situation with Terri's parents.

Terri's mother had already said that she didn't want to see Terri again and the last time she visited was Easter, and had said that was going to be her last time.

Terri's father was in the room with Terri (she was still alive) when medical people said that he needed to leave so they could do an assessment. When he refused to leave, there was a big conflict with the police, and they had to remove him from the room so that the health assessment could be done.

Michael then decided that it would be best not to allow Terri's father back into the room because he was being such a pain towards the medical personals and not allowing them to do their work.

Michael made the right decision, keep the drama out of the room. It was the parents that let their emotions get the best of them so they messed it up for themselves.

I would love to know what kind of a medical assessment was being done that her father would have to leave.. She was near death already!

>Their becoming one person was over 15 years ago like you said when she left this planet.

Agreed. The only thing left to do was dispose of her body as she wished. It took him 7 years to make sure that happened the way she wanted. (The first 8 was taken up making absolutely sure she was gone.)

Says who? That's right her husband and the courts that beleived him. Again without a living will the parents should be the deciding factor and just let the widow get on with their lives unless of course the agree.

BS.. parents have little to no legal influence past the age of majority, nor should they.. at the point you become an, you make the decisions on who, what, when and how your life is conducted, including who shares responsibility for those decisions in your absence (the spouse)

her choice to marry HIM places HIS judgment above the parents.. (maybe you should re read the 'traditional' wedding vows??) anyone who does not accept that their spouse is now first and foremost the decisive authority SHOULDNT GET MARRIED...

do you want your mother in law making daily decisions for your husband/wife in their absence instead of you??

Wedding VOWS - Are you f'n joking, how many couples break these vows on monthy, yearly basis. Sorry but my point that I was trying to make was that YOUR parents (MOSTLY) only have good intentions when it comes to there kids and no not DAILY decisions but DEATH=forever desicion then yes. I just married their daughter, but it's their daughter THEY created her.

Wedding VOWS - Are you f'n joking, how many couples break these vows on monthy, yearly basis. Sorry but my point that I was trying to make was that YOUR parents (MOSTLY) only have good intentions when it comes to there kids and no not DAILY decisions but DEATH=forever desicion then yes. I just married their daughter, but it's their daughter THEY created her.

Your reasoning is severely flawed.

>Sorry but my point that I was trying to make was that YOUR parents
> (MOSTLY) only have good intentions when it comes to there kids and no
> not DAILY decisions but DEATH=forever desicion then yes. I just married
>their daughter, but it's their daughter THEY created her.

And if (god forbid) she is severely injured, and you know she would have wanted to live at all costs, and they want to let her go - whose will should prevail?

HOW? Or Which Part?

MINISTER TO GROOM:

Do you GROOM'S NAME take BRIDE'S NAME to be your wife – to live together after God’s ordinance – in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon her your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her as long as you both shall live?

And if (god forbid) she is severely injured, and you know she would have wanted to live at all costs, and they want to let her go - whose will should prevail?

This isn't the case! Mike didn't have proof that she even said that, but since he by law makes the desicions then it's up to him.

Losing a child is about the most devastating thing to happen to parents. It is the most painful thing they can imagine. At least that's what I'm told by parents who have lost (even adult) children.

You can remember them as a completely helpless infant; you were willing to take care of them. You changed their diapers, you burped them, you cuddled them when they were hurt. You nurtured them. You can't look at them without thinking about these things. You know better than them, and you trust them to take your advice before making decisions.

Which means that they probably cannot make the decision with their intellect as well as a spouse can. A spouse knows one as an adult, and is more likely to remember the person's wishes first, and not that this is the realization of their dreams and hopes.

It's devastating. Losing a small child often ends a marriage. People don't hold up. But assuming that they are the people who have the victim's best interests in mind might be wrong -- they have the victim's best interests AS A CHILD in mind.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I would love to know what kind of a medical assessment was being done that her father would have to leave.. She was near death already!

I'm sure Bill can answer that question better then I since Amy is a doctor. The way I see it, if a medical team ask me to leave the room, they are the experts, not me. I'm going to listen to them and excuse myself from the room. Not be a problem to the point that the police had to be called in to remove Terri's father.

Do you think the medical team is lieing about the situation? What do they have to gain from a lie?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

HOW? Or Which Part?

MINISTER TO GROOM:

Do you GROOM'S NAME take BRIDE'S NAME to be your wife – to live together after God’s ordinance – in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon her your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her as long as you both shall live?

According to your post above, a "forever decision" should be made by her parents. Isn't marriage a "forever decision" ?

By your reasoning, here is what your last post would be:

Do you GROOM'S NAME take BRIDE'S NAME to be your wife – to live together after God’s ordinance – in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon her your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her as long as you both shall live? Do your parents approve?

>Mike didn't have proof that she even said that,
>but since he by law makes the desicions then it's up to him.

Right. So once again:

Let's say you are in such a situation. Your wife has told you she wants to live even if she's brain dead or close to it; her parents want to let her go. Who should prevail? Suppose you have no proof she said that; does that change things?

This isn't the case! Mike didn't have proof that she even said that, but since he by law makes the desicions then it's up to him.

Why don't you, the guy with no profile, answer his hypothetical question? He's just doing the gut check on whether you are really interested in "who makes the decision" rather than "which decision you prefer happens to lie with the parents in this particular case"

Edit: Real simple - Imagine your wife is in the hospital under similar circumstances as TS, Your in-laws want to pull the feeding tube (you had a serious conversation with her years ago and you know she would disagree with her folks). Do you make a stink or let them make the call?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm sure Bill can answer that question better then I since Amy is a doctor. The way I see it, if a medical team ask me to leave the room, they are the experts, not me. I'm going to listen to them and excuse myself from the room. Not be a problem to the point that the police had to be called in to remove Terri's father.

Do you think the medical team is lieing about the situation? What do they have to gain from a lie?

No I'm not saying their lying, hell most hopice center will send a patient home when there is hope left. With the feeding tube removed and his daughter ready for death I question what kind of assessment their were doing that the father would have to leave the room.

No I'm not saying their lying, hell most hopice center will send a patient home when there is hope left. With the feeding tube removed and his daughter ready for death I question what kind of assessment their were doing that the father would have to leave the room.

Doesn't matter what kind of assesment they were doing. If he was being an ass, they might ask him to leave.

Why don't you, the guy with no profile, answer his hypothetical question? He's just doing the gut check on whether you are really interested in "who makes the decision" rather than "which decision you prefer happens to lie with the parents in this particular case"

Edit: Real simple - Imagine your wife is in the hospital under similar circumstances as TS, Your in-laws want to pull the feeding tube (you had a serious conversation with her years ago and you know she would disagree with her folks). Do you make a stink or let them make the call?

How does she know she disagrees unless she had this same conversation with her parents and to your real sample I would let my in-laws make the decision and I would glad to answer Bill questions but severely is way to broad....