Ron

Terri Schiavo... Died

So at what point do you know someone really well? When is okay to marry someone that you THINK you know really well? People change over the years, change that can be unforeseen.

Yup - so unforeseen that you may change and your parents may not know. :o

Since 1990 no one has known what TS took with her when her heart (the literal one) turned on her. But given what was known and given the laws under which they were known, legal decisions and rulings were made or denied. The courts are not passing judgement on who the better people are. They are only interpreting the legal rights of one over another. Spouse is the trump card.

>What if she was in a coma and the whole time was like you F'ers put
>the fedding tube back in me.

Or lying there in constant agony, praying that they would let her die and end her 15 years of suffering.

Fortunately, neither one is true. She is brain dead.

>The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what was said or didn't said,
>he has the legal right and can make it up . . .

Right. And we should listen to some guy on the net rather than her husband because he knows her better than the man who lived with her for eight years.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what was said or not said, he has the legal right and can make it up, where was HIS proof, oh that's right we had this conversation like 20 years ago and she said she didn't want to live like this.

A woman told me two nights ago that she would NOT want to go through what Terri went through. Why is it so hard for some of you "Pro-Lifers at all Cost" to believe that some of us aren't interested in living like this?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

> It was the parents that let their emotions get the best of them so
>they messed it up for themselves.

Yep. We had a similar situation a while back (with a much better outcome, fortunately) where we had to basically speak for someone who was in a coma because her parents couldn't get out right away. It led to a LOT of hard feelings, because in such a situation everyone thinks they know her best and "knows what she would have wanted." In the end she recovered, and told us that that _was_ what she wanted.

Emotions can run high in such a situation. It's important to have someone to speak for the person who can't speak, and it's even more important for other people to put their emotions aside and do what's best for the injured person, not what will make them feel good.

Michael's lawyer is on CNN right now talking about the whole situation with Terri's parents.

That guy gives me the creeps, and he is a lawyer and they don't always tell the truth.

It was the parents that let their emotions get the best of them so they messed it up for themselves.

At least they have some, emotions. Is it so wrong to not want to have your daughter starve to death and when that is inevitable then not be able to be by her side. Her fathers "outbreak" was awefully convenient for MS.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Jeez. This is getting crazy. Main points?

1) She was born
2) She got married
3) As married persons, she and her husband became a single entity.
4) She suffered brain damage being put in permanent vegetative state
a) They both received malpractice awards
5) After two years of getting along, her parents and hubby have falling out.
6) Years later, for reasons right or wrong, he decides to let her die.
7) Parents fight it.
8) After years of procedural due process, the court finds that the husband is more credible and on a preponderance of the evidence rule that she would have wanted to be unplugged.
9) After years of wrangling and press and politicking, the end comes.
10) People duke out cause, effect, reasons, truth, morality, etc.

The end. Parents and husband had their days, weeks, months, years in court. A decision was made, and the courts reviewing could find no error with it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'm sure Lori choose to marry a murderer. In fact, I'm sure everyone that ever was murdered by a spouse choose that, because their spouse who killed them will just say it was their wishes. :S

Judy

If you're going to attempt to have any credibility quoting the Scott Peterson case, you're not going to look quite a silly if you actually get the name of his wife correct.

And if your argument revolves around "if one guy killed his wife, then there's a chance every other guy with a dead wife has too", you may be on sticky ground, especially considering the the history of someone, shall we say, close to you.

Why is it so hard for some of you "Pro-Lifers at all Cost" to believe that some of us aren't interested in living like this?

Not all of us are pro-lifers, some of us just don't believe the "husband".

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

It was the parents that let their emotions get the best of them so they messed it up for themselves.

At least they have some, emotions. Is it so wrong to not want to have your daughter starve to death and when that is inevitable then not be able to be by her side. Her fathers "outbreak" was awefully convenient for MS.

That's right - all the more reason her dad should have behaved in a manor that would have brought dignity and peace to the room where his daughter was dying.

Don't equate outburst and violence for benevolent emotion. MS has been quiet and dealing with the final loss of his spouse. Some people don't need a news conference or police to help them with that.

And if your argument revolves around "if one guy killed his wife, then there's a chance every other guy with a dead wife has too", you may be on sticky ground, especially considering the the history of someone, shall we say, close to you.

I can't believe you went there.......:P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Of course I would want them to be able to be with me and my husband, but if they acted so badly toward my husband then their right to be with us in my last minutes would be lost.

linz

I'm very, very close to my parents. However, they are not the people I would want making these kinds of decisions for me.

You don't even want them their on your death bed? How sad for them.

I live 2000 miles away from my family, I watched my dad die 2 years ago on saturday. When they decided he wasn't going to get better or even survive the ride home, they called me and I came because he wanted me there. I can't imagine not having your family there at least those that wanted to be their.

If Terri had a horrible relationship with her family, they sure aren't showing it.

j
Judy

--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

MS has been quiet and dealing with the final loss of his spouse. Soem people don't need a news conference or police to help them with that.

Maybe cause he has a girlfriend and moved on a long time ago is why he has not emotions on this.

I am sad and emotional when someone dies, it hurts when somone you love dies, it hurts alot. That is fact at least with most humans.

J

Why is it so hard for some of you "Pro-Lifers at all Cost" to believe that some of us aren't interested in living like this?

Not all of us are pro-lifers, some of us just don't believe the "husband".

Judy

Well, you don't have to. The courts did. It is done. Let's all move on to the next media firestorm. What will it be?

A kidnapping (even though they happen all the time)?

a celebrity murder (even though murders happen all the time)?

maybe more steroids!

Man, I cannot wait. :S[:/]
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Michael's choice of not showing emotions for the world to see is what I would have done. Death is private, it was Terri's family that made it public, playing on the world's emotions. How do you know what Michael felt or didn't feel? He didn't make a circus of Terri, her family did.

Edit to fix my "did" to a didn't.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Michael's choice of not showing emotions for the world to see is what I would have done. Death is private, it was Terri's family that made it public, playing on the world's emotions. How do you know what Michael felt or didn't feel? He did make a circus of Terri, her family did.

I agree. Grieving for a relative is not something to parade on the TV. Doing a news conference every hour does not make your cause just. It just makes you look like a media whore.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I can't believe you went there.......:P

Me ? I didn't do nothin' :)

After all, not guilty proves he didn't do it doesn't it ?

Just sticking up for our judicial system, like I always do.
:)

Was the media in the room when the father had the outbreak for the world to see? I must have missed it.

Funny, I don't think they were there when she supposedley, spoke, laughed, reacted to her loved ones, etc. either.

And spare me the old videotape that has been re-run ad nauseum.

Point of the matter is, it's NO ONE'S business but their's...
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Sorry, I fixed my typing error.

He didn't make a circus of Terri, her family did.

The media was not in the room when the father had an outbreak. From what the lawyer was saying, it wasn't the first time Terri's family was being asshats to the medical team.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

yes, i am sure it was in the medical's personel best interest to lie about that

Wow you and I agree on something!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A comment was made about how inapproriate it is to show emotion in public, people might think you care.:S

It's only inappropriate when they use the media for a circus side show.