JohnRich

England: Worst Crime Rate in World

In the news:

England and Wales have the highest crime rate among the world's leading economies, according to a new report by the United Nations.

The survey shows that people are more likely to be mugged, burgled, robbed or assaulted here than in America, Germany, Russia, South Africa or any other of the world's 20 largest nations. Only the Dominican Republic, New Zealand and Finland have higher crime rates than England and Wales.

According to the comparison of international crime statistics produced by the UN's Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention, England and Wales had 9,766 crimes for every 100,000 people in the year 2000. America had 8,517, South Africa 7,997, Germany 7,621 and Russia 2,022.

During the period 1998-2000, Britain went from fifth to fourth worst in the world league table. An analysis of total recorded crime figures before 1998 also suggests that England and Wales have moved sharply up the league table since Labour came to power in 1997...

Source: The Telegraph

Gosh, it sure is a good thing that England confiscated all handguns and semi-auto long guns in 1997, otherwise things could have really gotten out of hand!

Ees fine. You rich American. You come over here. We show you plenty good time. Stand in crowd. Walk through subway and native ghetto. Take Taxi - we go short cut mister. You see plentee monument and old stuff. Meet my sister - one with most of her teeth, some white. You safe. Velly safe. You no get shot. No die.

Or you could always go to France... Perhaps Eurodisney will make you feel at home? It's kind of kike Florida but without the guns.

:D:D:ph34r::ph34r:

Mike.

Edited to REALISE that The UN is being quoted!! I have a UN quote as well:

"For the 13th consecutive time, the UN General Assembly has passed a resolution calling for an end to the US blockade of Cuba. The voting on the resolution was 179 countries in favor and four against (The United States, Israel, the Marshall Islands and Palau), while Micronesia abstained . During the debate at the 59th session of the UN General Assembly, several heads of state and government condemned Washington’s policy of aggression against the small island. Over 75% of the Cuban population were born after the triumph of the Revolution on January 1959, and have had to grow and develop under the brutal effects of a ruthless economic, commercial, and financial US blockade, which knows no limits. The unilateral enforcement of this U.S. policy turned into a sick obsession and a veritable economic war, which has provoked losses to the country amounting to close to $80 billion."

It's an overwhelming mandate from The UN - surely this continued refusal to acquiesce to the UN Resolution for 13 years is grounds to invade cause regime change?

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

In the news:

Source: The Telegraph

Gosh, it sure is a good thing that England confiscated all handguns and semi-auto long guns in 1997, otherwise things could have really gotten out of hand!

and the end of the article you sited states

Criminologists believe that a note of caution needs to be introduced into analysis of the data, because of the different ways in which UN member countries record crimes.

However I'm not surprised you omitted this given and the lengths you apear go to to twist any statistic to support your your attitude towards the UK gun laws.

Criminologists believe that a note of caution needs to be introduced into analysis of the data, because of the different ways in which UN member countries record crimes.

Kind of like the fact of the Home Office not reporting it as a crime unless there was (IIRC) an arrest?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

and the end of the article you sited states

However I'm not surprised you omitted this given and the lengths you apear go to to twist any statistic to support your your attitude towards the UK gun laws.

The fact that Russia showed up at 20-25% of the crime rate of the UK and USA makes me discount the story in whole. It's the wild west there now that the police apparatus of the Soviet Union is gone.

The armchair quarterback in me says that the big problem in England is the poor sentencing against criminals. (Or the strict ones against victims who fight back).

Kind of like the fact of the Home Office not reporting it as a crime unless there was (IIRC) an arrest?

Makes their arrest rate look pretty damn good!

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Please don't confuse The Home Office recording Arrestable offences with arrests. It's not whether there's an arrest made, it's whether a perp could be arrested for the offence.

Or should we record every case of littering?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Look, crime in Britain has never been discouraged with guns, it's just a non factor for criminals and always has been. When you take your American experience and apply it to an environment you don't know about it looks pretty weak to anyone who knows the place. Almost nobody has guns in Britain and almost nobody has ever walked around concealed carrying a gun or had one at home except on farms and that hasn't changed much. It's never been a factor in crime prevention. Criminals have never worriead about their victims having guns because it's so rare. Banning and confiscating other guns was a dumb move by the government but it's got nothing to do with crime prevention in the UK.

I'm not surprised you omitted this given and the lengths you apear go to to twist any statistic to support your your attitude towards the UK gun laws.

Copyright laws allow only limited quotes for purposes of discussion - whole articles cannot legally be re-posted. Thus, I provide the web link to the article, so everyone can see it in its entirety for themselves, if they so wish. Furthermore, all I did was quote the news story which uses the UN as a source. Therefore, since I provided the link to the whole story, and provided direct quotes, it can hardly be said that I was trying to hide or "twist" information.

I'm not surprised you omitted this given and the lengths you apear go to to twist any statistic to support your your attitude towards the UK gun laws.

Copyright laws allow only limited quotes for purposes of discussion - whole articles cannot legally be re-posted. Thus, I provide the web link to the article, so everyone can see it in its entirety for themselves, if they so wish. Furthermore, all I did was quote the news story which uses the UN as a source. Therefore, since I provided the link to the whole story, and provided direct quotes, it can hardly be said that I was trying to hide or "twist" information.

LMAO That is so lame it is hysterical
:D:D:D

Dear U.N.:

UN General Assembly has passed a resolution calling for an end to the US blockade of Cuba.

The US is "blockading" Cuba?

Over 75% of the Cuban population...have had to grow and develop under the brutal effects of a ruthless economic, commercial, and financial US blockade

The brutal effects Cuba has suffered is due to their choice of socio-political-economic model, not because the US won't do business.

losses to the country amounting to close to $80 billion."

Loss of what? How is it the US's obligation to cure Cuba's ills? Thanks UN. 4% of the world (ie., the US) is to blame for Cuba's inability to build its own economy trading with the other 96%?:S

Thread tangent over. We take you back to Britain's crime...

The brutal effects Cuba has suffered is due to their choice of socio-political-economic model, not because the US won't do business.

Either are good explanations. If we treated them like every other Caribbean banana republic, they'd probably be at least a bit better off. They do get a lot of European and Canadian tourists for the fact that we can't go there, but that doesn't make up for it.

You sure are right about that, but the left always sees a victim. We have a right not to do business with them. the UN as a world gov't would suck.

To give this a bit of context, the Telegraph, or Torygraph as it gets called here is a newspaper that firmly supports the Conservative Party and regularly prints misleading and/or exaggerated pieces attacking Tony Blair and Labour Party policy.

I'm sure you have papers affiliated with the Democrats that you know do just the same thing to Bush and co.

If you want less partisan, more objective news from a UK perspective take a look at the Times, the Financial Times and the Independent.

What makes me disbelieve the statistics is that I live in one of the shittier areas of London, a place which you would expect to have above the average crime, and the worst thing that has happened to me or my wife over the last five is she had a couple of CDs nicked from our car.

I have no idea why you are suggesting the cause of crime in the UK is lack of guns. There is no credible evidence for that whatsoever.

what crozby said.

Also, let it be known that police now take new data into account when measuring violent crime. "Pushing and shoving" (i kid you not) is now classified as a violent crime. If someone in the street pushes you, regardless of whether you fall over, or merely get pushed back a foot, it's a "violent crime".

Hence numbers of "violent crimes" have gone up.

What part of London are you from crozby, just out of curiousity?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Ahh, another member of the Ron and GraviyMaster school of logic.

Fine, since you state that, prove that the crime rates would have been better in England and Wales if the laws regarding guns hadn't changed.

Title of your post : England: Worst Crime Rate in World

From the article you base this on :

England and Wales have the highest crime rate among the world's leading economies

Firstly, do you understand that the claim you make in the title of your post is not true?

Secondly, the article mentions England and Wales yet you choose to single out England in the title of your post. Why is that?

Don't be a hater, nobody likes haters. :)
Will

Ahh, another member of the Ron and GraviyMaster school of logic

We keep growing.

Maybe someday you will wise up and go as well.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334