blitzkrieg

WELCOME TO THE USA!!!

I don't care if people don't learn English, but I DO mind if I am expected to learn other languages to communicate with those who move here.

linz

Guess what, with this train of thought you will be forced to communicate with those that dont speak english because they will eventually over run us.

This country is based on immagration (except the people who were here first but thats another issue:() The people you refer to as "they" are "us" unless your a american indian.

Someone mentioned the people wh work at fast food stores or the lady that wasn't going to get a drivers liscense because she couldn't speak english.

What happens to the adults that grew up in this country and don't know how to read or make change. They are still able to function.

If I lived in a area populated by a large spanish speaking population I would try and learn spanish while interacting in the community (hard for us old folks to learn a foreign language by a book). Try it you may like it, and get to meet some nice folks.

R.I.P.

I am curious how many of those who actively participate in this discussion (except for VanillaSkyGirl) fluently speak more than one language?

English, French, Spanish, decent Italian, some German, Japanese and a little bit of Mandarin...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I am curious how many of those who actively participate in this discussion (except for VanillaSkyGirl) fluently speak more than one language?

Swiss German (dialect, but Germans normally don't understand it...)
German
Portuguese
Spanish
English
Some French
Some Italian
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

The Native American cultures do have significant influence on modern US culture.

What influences would those be? Nike? Coke? Maybe the Marlboro Man? Mickey Mouse? McDonalds? Sony? Levi's? General Motors? Exxon? Television?

Because we didn't adopt their Earth friendly lifestyles. Or their productive use of elders in society. Or their attitude of cooperation.

How have they influenced us?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

how many times have you ordered a hamburger with ketchup, mustard and pickles at a drive thru only to receive a cheeseburger with tomatoes and lettuce?

Something I learned by the time I was sixteen was: You always get fucked in the drive-thru. Go inside, you'll get better service. It's not usually a language thing.

Swiss German (dialect, but Germans normally don't understand it...)
German
Portuguese
Spanish
English
Some French
Some Italian

Quite impressive ;)

Here is an interesting fact some of you may not know, the U.S has no 'official' language, so you can speak whatever you damn well please!

True. Logically, if people don't like the direction our cultural communications are going, they can write their Congressmen, and ask for English to be declared the national language. But last I checked, this isn't England, so I don't know how far they will get.

Children use a different part of their brain to learn additional languages, compared to adults. Young kids can often learn new languages as quickly as they learned their native tongue. It is not so easy for adults.

Something I learned by the time I was sixteen was: You always get fucked in the drive-thru. Go inside, you'll get better service. It's not usually a language thing.

You learned that from Leo Getz aka Joe Pesci!!!

Seriously though, there are national corporations who will not do business with small companies (admittedly most qualified) unless they are diverse enough. So, there are reasons to learn English in addition to a nature tongue.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I also know many immigrants who speak much better English than some of the people born in the US from American parents...

Scandinavians in particular seem to speak excellent English. As do many people from England.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

you'd be surprised how many people around the world have lived in a country for quite some time yet still do not (and have no interest to do so) speak the local language.

There are towns in Texas where Czech or German is spoken in homes; probably ones in the North where Scandinavian languages are; of course, Yiddish is common in NYC, Cajun in Louisiana, and, of course, Spanish and Vietnamese now in many parts of the country.

There were towns in Brazil where German, Italian, or English were more commonly spoken than Portuguese. Just depends on who settled them.

A lot of this has changed with improved mass communications. And yes, you can go a long way with only a knowledge of English.

English, Portuguese, Spanish, and French (in decreasing competence).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

English, French, Spanish, decent Italian, some German, Japanese and a little bit of Mandarin...

I grew up in NYC speaking German until I was 3 yo then someone told my mom this is america speak english. So we lost 99.9% of our german language ability personally i'd prefer to be Bi...lingual.

IMO europeons have a advantage that they border/do business/vacations with country's that speak a different language, and there are some commen traits in some of the languages.

Historically america was isolated and due to our economic/miltary power we expected other cultures to learn our language. Bad idea.

R.I.P.

Leo Getz aka Joe Pesci!!!

???????? (I know who Pesci is)

Lethal Weapon character

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

English
French
Fortran
C++
Assembler

Back in the dark ages when I was in college, a group decided to have a language table (we had sit-down dinners). Instead of the usual boring language table where everyone actually spoke the same language, they ensured there were 8 different languages. English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Czech, German, and Fortran.:ph34r:

Yes, I went to college with a lot of geeks.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"Welcome to America - now GO HOME!"

I sure don't want any more of that white trash from Eastern Europe coming over here, either.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

If you're worried about immigrants just adopt Belgian immigration policy and you'll find the number of people entering your country drops to almost nothing very quickly.

See immigrants are all turned away from Belgian almost immediately by....

a big sign saying "Welcome to Belgium"

:D:D

"...all turned away from Belgian almost immediately by....

a big sign saying "Welcome to Belgium"

The other problem with Belgium is the overcrowding (which I think I mentioned in the past). Plus, Belgium is SO BORING that even Germans just drive straight on through into France!

But back to the subject... Speaking English can be a problem - especially if you use Shampoo or Soap when you Shower or Bathe in your Bungalow!...

And forget about eating in English!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.