sundevil777

Would you have known what was coming based on the receding water?

I would like to know how common this knowledge was before the tragedy.

I would have known because of my mother telling me about how she was able to escape to safety when a tidal wave hit Oahu, I think in the 50's.

I don't know if there was a formal warning, but they did know what the receding water meant, and moved inland immediately.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hi SD

I wouldn't have had a clue, why the tide was going out so quickly.:(

You mom survived didn't forget and passed that knowledge on to you. I suspect that hard lesson learned won't be forgotten by the survivor's.

Heard a "rumor" that some of the seismic stations in the US picked up the earth quake on their instruments, tried to broadcast a warning to the other side of the world but it didn't work.:(

A real tragedy. That I hope i never hear about again in my life time:(

R.I.P.

I voted not sure. I tend to use the simple rule that if it seems very unusual, then it should be dealt with carefully. It would just seem wrong that the water level would fall several feet in a few minutes. If it leaves fast i would believe that it would return fast. I may not have been able to put 2+2; but, I probably would have gotten the camera.

My heart goes out to all affected.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I would have known because of my mother telling me about how she was able to escape to safety when a tidal wave hit Oahu, I think in the 50's.

I don't know if there was a formal warning, but they did know what the receding water meant, and moved inland immediately.

I was there in Phuket, Patong Beach and on the Phi Phi Islands scuba diving last Feb, just after we did the World Team 357way.

I can tell you there are no warning systems in place for this type of devastation.
The country is far more primative then the US and do not have economy to support such things unfortunatly.

The warning system the US has, are buoy's that sit far out at sea and sense the rise and fall of the tide.

Should something like this happen, the US could directly detect the unusual rise in the oceans level by each buoy that is closer to land base, and then issue a warning to evecuate.

The Tsunami did not create a drop in the tide in this case, and if there was there was probably no way you would have noticed it anyway.

The 9.0 quake was detected on a seismograph under NY Central Park.

It's truly unfortunate for some for the nicest people I have ever met in my life to experience such devastation, and I am truly saddened.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I notice odd things and I would like to say I would have noticed the ocean doing something strange. And too, with such a powerful displacement of energy, I would think you could feel the ground shake-especially a beach. I sure would like to see something like that though.....from far away of course!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

just something from the locked thread that I would call your attention too
here

Chinese kung fu film star Jet Li, who was in the Maldives on holiday,called his Hong Kong agent to report he and his family are safe.

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

The warning system the US has, are buoy's that sit far out at sea and sense the rise and fall of the tide.

I saw a story today, they were seismic sensors, but who knows how accurate the story was - with how news info gets thrown out there so quickly after such an event
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I saw a story today, they were seismic sensors, but who knows how accurate the story was - with how news info gets thrown out there so quickly after such an event

I heard there was close to a two hour differance between the quake and when the waves hit (depite the 500mph speed of the Tsunami)

The wave is fastest (and lowest height) with deepest water, so if the water is not so terribly deep, the speed might be less than the 500mph number being thrown around.

Hawaii is pretty far away from most sources. Same applies to California. We often get warnings that one is coming, might actually do something, and to stay away from the beach. Guess where the people go. I believe if it's coming from Alaska we have 12 hours notice.

I suspect by the time you can see it coming, it's a bit late.

I would've known, but that's because I live in earthquake country and was terrified by them for a while. So I set out to learn about them, and one of the things I discovered was that oceans don't act that way normally, and when the water disappears, it's coming back - usually all at the same time. So yes, I'd've known.

But that's not terribly common knowledge, I suspect. Complete tragedy all around.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Yes I would have known, and if there was nothing tall around, I would get as far away and as high as I could. It would be difficult to tell how big the wave would be, and any height above sea level would be better than no height above sea level. The roof of a 2 story house in many places which were hit would have sufficed. However, in some areas the 4th floor of hotels weren't enough.

I guess it is not common knowledge, but being a scientist I have always known that the water rapidly receeds prior to a tidal wave.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

The trough (receding water) is not always first to hit. It all depends on the coastal topography and the dynamics of the wave.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hello,
I grew up in Hawaii.
In Elementary School they teach you about tsunamis,
and what it means when all the water at the beach gets sucked away from shore.
We had drills, sirens, the works.
They still do.
I was in Hilo when an earthquake hit in late 60's.
The tidal wave was only 6'.
The volcano was cooler than the tsunami.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Hello,
I grew up in Hawaii.
In Elementary School they teach you about tsunamis,
and what it means when all the water at the beach gets sucked away from shore.
We had drills, sirens, the works.
They still do.
I was in Hilo when an earthquake hit in late 60's.
The tidal wave was only 6'.
The volcano was cooler than the tsunami.

So, why then does it seem that the locals in this region weren't trained in the same manner?

I mean, here in CA we were trained several times/year what to do in the event of an earthquake. Come to think of it, the training didn't stop after leaving school....where I work in a hospital we have the same training....plus triage training now.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Notice we used words like teach and train.
Have you heard of the "Third World"?
Some of those places are fourth.

True. True.

It's too bad they have to 'learn' their lesson the hard way, then.

Remember the earthquake in Alaska that sent a tsunami down the west coast of the U.S.?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

yeah i knew about that before this happened. I think i read it somewhere.

I was really surprised that the natives in these countries saw the water level going down and they all ran out to the shore to see what was going on... I thought surely if you live in tsunami country you know what that means but i guess not. :S

MB 3528, RB 1182