downwardspiral

What are YOU doing for YOUR country?

Arguing about politics in a skydiving forum is just as moronic as arguing about skydiving in a political forum. My question is.... as you all sit here reading this forum, crtiticizing OUR elected officials, what exactly is it YOU are doing for your country? Are YOU doing the bear minimum of paying YOUR taxes and going to jury duty or are YOU doing more?

As for me, I gave 8 years of my life to the USMC. If they institute the draft and ask me to go....you better believe I'll go. Would YOU?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

As a 6 year veteran of the Navy it sickens me to see people on these forums who never served bitch/cry/moan/complain about our country and our leaders. I've seen everything from these peeps on here from wanting Bush dead to not being proud of our country's history. Sickening.

Forty-two

Arguing about politics in a skydiving forum is just as moronic as arguing about skydiving in a political forum. My question is.... as you all sit here reading this forum, crtiticizing OUR elected officials, what exactly is it YOU are doing for your country? Are YOU doing the bear minimum of paying YOUR taxes and going to jury duty or are YOU doing more?

As for me, I gave 8 years of my life to the USMC. If they institute the draft and ask me to go....you better believe I'll go. Would YOU?

I gave my country eight years, too. Part of that was active duty (combat arms), part of it was reserves (logistics), and the rest IRR. I make a considerable effort to remain informed, and I encourage others to do the same, in whatever way I might be able to. Uninformed voters are not an asset to the Republic.

I do not believe that discussing politics on a skydiving board is moronic. Should we assume that skydivers do not stay informed of current events just because they choose to get out of the plane? I have met some very well educated and informed people in this sport, both American and foreign. Why not debate with people you might actually have some kind of common bond with.

As far as a being called back in? I was actually waiting on paperwork to transfer me back onto active duty when I femured a few years back. Now the hardware would likely keep me out. That aside, no, I would not go fight this war. I think it has been inadequately and untruthfully justified. IMO overthrowing one government we helped bring to power, in favor of bringing a different government to power is a senseless waste of life. Don't forget that Iran voted their theocracy in. Why aren't we all buddy buddy with Iran?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I designed an airborne security system that can be used to relay cockpit and cabin video from commercial airliners to the ground, and demonstrated it for the Homeland Security department in DC.

I also worked on the DLMA in the SDM (a smart bomb), the F-14 functional avionics system tester, the A-6F multimode radar system and the EF-111 CDU (cockpit display unit.)

As a 6 year veteran of the Navy it sickens me to see people on these forums who never served bitch/cry/moan/complain about our country and our leaders. I've seen everything from these peeps on here from wanting Bush dead to not being proud of our country's history. Sickening.

Feel free to defend Shrub, and not just attack those that don't agree with his policies. There are a few active threads to do that right now in the SC.

There are other ways to give to your country than serving in the military.

And being allowed to dissent is an American right--one that the men and women serving in our military would die to protect. As I recall, when you join you swear to defend that right against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I line the pockets of tequila importers weekly. Buy property...stay out of credit card debt...buy I Bonds on occasion...tutor kids in Calc/Physics...and do engineering management for the world's finest Navy. And provide comic relief for all to improve the nation's health.
:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

There are other ways to give to your country than serving in the military.

And being allowed to dissent is an American right--one that the men and women serving in our military would die to protect. As I recall, when you join you swear to defend that right against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

yup.

um I do AIDS research for a living. We're trying to figure out ways to defend Americans (& others) from very very small, but deadly, invaders!

Hmmm. Okay. Working to stop epidemics is worthy. Thanks. ;)

Let's see. 31 years ago I started working at WDW entertaining tourists. Then the USN for a SHORT stint. Buillt USN destroyers, oil and chemical refineries, defense (or offense) plants, communication plants, built signs for the people starting businesses, POISON GAS plants fot the US Govt. (didn't know til years after), sewer treatment plants, housing, and now building power plants. (when I don't get fired for showing up drunk. I wonder why?) LOL When do I get to quit? [:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

As a 6 year veteran of the Navy it sickens me to see people on these forums who never served bitch/cry/moan/complain.....

I too have been serving and protecting my country since before I had any gray hair, and I have never understood why those who serve, feel entitled to a seperate threshold for bitching or are sickened by those who voice their opinion of our elected officials. It's called A-m-e-r-i-c-a, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

What do I do?

Well, what have I done, not as much as I wanted to so far. I've done the basics: served on a jury, pay my taxes and such.

I was going into the USMC, had a PLC contract, but blowing up my knee had them turn me away 1/2 way through the process...

So what am I going to do? Well, I'm starting the application process to become a cop.

If there was a draft and a military branch actually wanted me (and my fucked knee) then yup, I'd be there. You wouldn't see me running off to Canada to smoke pot and be a traitor.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You wouldn't see me running off to Canada to smoke pot and be a traitor.

Strictly speaking, running off to Canada would make you a deserter, not a traitor. To be a traitor, you have to be guilty of treason. Generally that's reserved for people who take active steps against their nation of citizenship. Simply refusing to do something doesn't qualify.

If I were drafted, I'd go. But then again, it's pretty safe for me to say that, since I'm over 30 and have several pounds of surgical metal in my body on a permanent basis. The last time folks like me got drafted my parents weren't even born.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Strictly speaking, running off to Canada would make you a deserter, not a traitor. To be a traitor, you have to be guilty of treason.

Technically, yes. Although I personally view ditching the draft as treason.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think its great the things most of you have done for your country. It does concern me that some of you have to ask if what you have done or are doing counts. That tells me that it is unintentional that you are serving your country.

I now agree that arguing politics here is not moronic....at least not all of it. There are many intelligent (as well as moronic) discussions here. Lurking SP has taught me to remain open minded and to not emote till I have come to my own conclusions based on facts, not spin. I have been gifted with an attitude that won't allow the media to control my opinions. That I owe to SP. Thank you for teaching me the difference.

For those of you who have not yet served your country and continually strive for personal gains...perhaps this thread will get the gray matter and cranial juices flowing and one day you will realize that many have sacrificed for the comforts you enjoy today and maybe, just maybe, its time to give back and stop taking it all for granted.

Edited to add: What emotions does hearing the American national anthem create? What do you think about when staring at the stars and stripes? Do you honor our standard by at least taking notice everytime you see it? Or is it just part of the background of what you call your life?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I pay my taxes, and can not serve as a juror as I'm not a US citizen yet. however, it has not deterred me from serving in the USN after 9/11. Currently in the process to transfer to the Army.

My citizenship in on its way.

Blue skies...
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

What emotions does hearing the American national anthem create?

Depends on the context. At a sporting event, not much. Other times, such as Veterans or Memorial Days or similar times of solemn reflection, it means more.

What do you think about when staring at the stars and stripes?

What we stand for, good, bad, and indifferent.

Do you honor our standard by at least taking notice everytime you see it?

I do usually notice it, and while I believe very strongly in the right to burn a flag if one desire's to, I can hardly see myself ever doing something like that.

Something that does kinda bother me. If someone is going to display a flag, they should adhere to the national protocols of halfmasts, etc, and they should retire weathered flags before they look like they have been through battle.

Are YOU doing the bear minimum of paying YOUR taxes and going to jury duty or are YOU doing more?

Damn, I didn't even do either for 15 years! I was paying taxes in another country. Silly me. But that's been corrected now!
Seriously, actively contributing to society in one's own way is what is crucial to a country. I don't think any branch of society is more important than any other, as it can not survive without the others.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Are YOU doing the bear minimum of paying YOUR taxes and going to jury duty

Yes, I pay taxes. And I've served on several juries.

or are YOU doing more?

No. And I won't feel guilty because you think I should do more. The charities and comunity service and whatnot I'm involved in have nothing to do with what you're trying to imply...so I'll not mention them.

If they institute the draft and ask me to go....you better believe I'll go. Would YOU?

If it's a draft, they're not going to ask you. As for me, if I were drafted (really remote possiblity), I would absolutely go and do what was demanded of my by my country.

Simply because I didn't serve doesn't mean I don't love this country, nor make me less than you. Because I didn't choose the military doesn't mean I don't value what the military does. Because I haven't served like some others doesn't mean I have less a right to speak about what I think than anyone else, from anywhere else, here or elsewhere.

Rights are not earned with service. Rights either are, or are not. My right to speak about what I choose where I choose is a fundamental priciple that I hold dear. Your right to speak about what you choose where you choose is a fundamental that I hold dear. I'm sorry you don't seem to think the same for me.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~