SpeedRacer

Is it possible to convince anyone of anything here?

I have learned a LOT from other people on here. This isn't really about changing other peoples' minds, but at least understanding where they're coming from and honing our own debating skills. Maybe even refining our own opinions a bit, not changing, just getting better at rationalizing them.

Besides, I kinda like ya'll, much more lively conversatins here than Bonfire!!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I Speedy,

I'd say yes. I have my own opinions, which have been formed over the years partly by listening to others.

I may not agree with you (or for that matter some other folk here), but I WILL listen to you, and I WILL defend your right to voice your opinions.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Yes, I changed my view of the assault weapons ban based on information I read here and subsequent research that I did on the topic.

I also learned that people can only support Bush by living in denial.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Any person posting on SC can convince others of their own idiocy or belligerence :P.

Otherwise, you can give people new information -- what they do with it is up to them. Which is the case in the real world, too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes, I changed my view of the assault weapons ban based on information I read here and subsequent research that I did on the topic.

I also learned that people can only support Bush Kerry by living in denial a fantasy world.

There ya go John, I fixed it for ya.

And yes - discussion - if it is kept light and civil has the potential to change a view or two.

Can't say what they are for fear of riddicule, but my mind has changed at least once.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have to say Yes.
Very rarely but it has happened.

I have argued with people who were open minded and were truthful and I have at least been able to see where they were coming from.

But many unfortunately have there minds made up and are blinded. Usually at the end of one of those arguments I just stop. There is no point in arguing with someone who is 100% sure they are right.
There is nothing in this world that’s a 100% one sided.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

"Speakers corner's name for this forum, explains it all. "

It should really come with a warning......

May contain nuts.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I would generally say, no. I found the abundance of reactionaries here so overwhelming that I felt it wasn't worth the energy to debate with a brick wall. I am really disappointed in this forum :< Kudos to those that still try to reason with some of the most mentally stagnant folks I've ever run across.

-R

So, is there a point to the time we spend on Speakers Corner? Can you really argue with someone here & convince them of anything?;):D

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

So, is there a point to the time we spend on Speakers Corner? Can you really argue with someone here & convince them of anything?

The answer is no. All but a few on here are brain-washed sheep and see the world extremely obscured and backwards.

With those people reasoning and enlightenment are a lost cause. People come here for the sole purpose of sarcasm, fighting, personal attacks, degredation and other childish tactics. Definitly not the purpose of the forum.

The purpose of the forum is good in concept but poor in execution. SC does nothing but divide our community and cause hatred. Skydivers are few in numbers and should come together...not be split apart and divided (which is exactly what SC does).

We need more closeness in our community...not a wedge between us.

Just my two Lincolns.

Forty-two

We used to have pretty civil political discussions in talkback. Every once in a while it would get a little heated, but there was usually not the repetetive, blanket insulting comments made to disparage a great many posters through sweeping generalizations in order to circumvent the no peronal attacks rule.

Then some new people showed up, I think around the beginning of November last year, and things took a turn for the worse. [:/]

We used to have pretty civil political discussions in talkback. Every once in a while it would get a little heated, but there was usually not the repetetive, blanket insulting comments made to disparage a great many posters through sweeping generalizations in order to circumvent the no peronal attacks rule.

Then some new people showed up, I think around the beginning of November last year, and things took a turn for the worse. [:/]

Yes, I seem to recall there being fairly civil political discussions at one time in talkback. Then certain people came along who had to jump into all the political/religious threads only to loudly complain about how we shouldn't be discussing such things on a skydiving website. (Fair enough, so sangiro nicely gives us a new forum for such discussions.) But it's funny how some of those same people now post so often in Speaker's Corner. :S

People who are open-minded probably learn a little from Speaker's Corner. People who are close-minded probably don't learn much from anywhere. But anyone who is posting here for the purpose of convincing anyone of anything is probably gonna be horribly disappointed. ;)

People who are open-minded probably learn a little from Speaker's Corner.

Two problems with that statement.

#1 - There's probably less than five open-minded people on SC.

#2 - I wouldn't want any open-minded person learning any of the hatred, sarcasm, personal attacks and warped political views on here. That would produce one insanely disturbed individual.

Forty-two

The human body is a perfect example of how the world should be IMHO: Only one mouth, to speak our mind, but two ears to listen to what others have to say. One ear, on EACH side of the head. It’s no coincidence…..We should listen twice as much as we speak. And we should listen to ideas coming from both sides! :)
;)

Yves.