kimmer

Encouragement anyone?

You have come to the right place, Kimmer. What's the scoop? Where are you located, what's your story? You might as well spill now, they'll drag it out of you eventually anyway! And check out the thread "skydiving chicks rock boogie" there will be loads of gals to cheer (egg?) you on.
Relax, it's a whole new world and everyone in this one WANTS you to succeed.
Soft landings,
Mandy

I am in the same situation but not as bad (only my mom doesn't want me to d it). All i can say is NEVER tell them when someone cuts away and always always tell them how safe it is with all the backups and training. Goodluck!! :)Remember when Sex was safe and skydiving was Dangerous?

Hey Kimmer,
This seems to be a common situation amoungst new people to the sport. Well, rest assured you are on the right track - learning to sky dive that is!
My folks initial reaction was not all that good. I actually dragged them out the the DZ last weekend to show them that 'normal' people do skydive. Well, they weren't really normal people, but they weren't wackos either (just a another bunch of fun people). My feeling is once mom & pop saw the gear, the people, the planes, and not every second sky diver was burning in, that they would have a better idea of what is going on. I also pointed them to a few stats on the web so that they could see that skydiving isn't equivalent to Russian Roulette. Who knows what they thought, but I think it made the situation easier for them.
Anyhow, my question is why should we care what anyone thinks? People spend too much time getting approval from everyone around them. I suspect I view skydiving as a way to get them all back...
Cheers,
NewGuy B|

Happened to me too. Everyone thought I had a death wish. But now that I have some jumps under my belt, My dad will still tell me Im Crazy to my face, but brags to his bud's "my daughter's a skydiver"..
On the other hand, there are lot's of sports I think are dangerous and crazy, but I haven't tried them and don't have a passion for them. If my Dad took up drag racing, I might tell him the same he told me.
I find it useless to look "outside the sport" for encouragement.

My folks did not like it much at the beginning either, but now they are kind of proud of me. My dad brags about my jumping everywhere he goes. He even wants to do a tandem. My mother will even consider jumping when I get my tandem rating later on this season. They were both absolutely opposed to my need for jumping out of planes, but their views have changed over time. I always talk about all the safety and have shown them tons of videos of skydiving. They were also impressed with how much I actually needed to learn in order to become a JM. There have been some losses though. I have had 3 cut aways due to non jumping g/fs, but I don't care. I always liked jumping more than I liked them( ha-ha).
Just keep jumping and be safe - your folks will learn to live with it and maybe even accept it.

My parents about had heart attacks when I told them what I'd been doing (I had 12 jumps before I said anything). It's taken years for them to get reasonably comfortable with it. It helps that I went 10 years without a major injury, that I became a rigger so I would know the gear better, etc. Today they are very proud of what I've accomplished as a skydiver. Neither one will ever leave a plane in flight, but I think they understand why I do - and they understand why I'm still planning to jump even though I had back surgery.
At this point I have more trouble with my best friend - she did 4 jumps, then worked manifest at Perris for a couple of years. She's lost a bunch of skydiver friends over the years and now tells me if I die skydiving she won't come to my funeral. That's kinda harsh; I can understand her point though and I don't talk about skydiving much with her anymore.
The best cure for your problem is to start making friends at the dz. Hang out after you jump. Be there for the bonfire/beer gathering in the evenings. As you get to know the jumpers in your area you'll find that encouragement you need - and develop a whole network of people that understand exactly what you are going through!
Hang in there kimmer... and keep posting here. This is one of the best groups of jumpers/future jumpers I've ever had the pleasure to hang out with.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I don't think much, therefore I might not be

Here are some wise words of encouragement from a very wise rabbit. When you're feeling unsure of yourself in the jumpplane, or in any other area of life, just sing this little song:
Overture, curtains, lights,
This is it, the night of nights
No more rehearsing and nursing a part
We know every part by heart
Overture, curtains, lights
This is it, you'll hit the heights
And oh what heights we'll hit
On with the show this is it!!
:D
Speed Racer
"I think I think, therefore, I think I am, I think!"

My wife at first hated that I skydive, but now she is totaly supportive. I still havn't convinced that parental units of the fun and saftey of the sport. I also try to tell them of the social aspect of the sport(one of my favorite parts)....and welcome to the family.
Marc

Hey, lil sis! Told you these guys are the greatest!!!!! Glad you made it here! Everything, EVERYTHING, will be fine.
Kimmer is an adorable, courageous and determined young lady. For those of us who jump at Perris, she is the tall slender redhead who still wears student stuff...make sure you come over to her and say hi. She has stood up one landing (yayayayay), and has (what is it now, Kim?) about 8 jumps - several tandems, and is now on level 4.
She'll be there later today, so if you get there, make it a point to look her up. (Me too, for that matter).
ciel bleu-
Michele

When people give you shit about skydiving (and they will), just think back to when you landed after your very first jump. Remember that 'Phwoaaaaar, Whoooooosh!!!' feeling when you just knew you HAD to go back and do that again? Then just have a little smile on your face, let your eyes glaze over and nod a bit while they go on about how 'crazy' you are....
/s
PS welcome to the family! :)

Hi kimmer,
You will find many people outside the skydiving community don't understand that we approaching jumping with a professional manner. When I jump with someone new to me, my first concern is finding out how they "think" about skydiving and safety. Jumping with the right people is a big step in the right direction for safety. Regarding your question, you won't be able to convince anyone (outside of skydivers) that it is safe and sound. The best you can hope for is to reassure them that you have good training, good equipment, a good dive plan, and the proper attitude.
Sam