Merrick

*WARNING* Reading Dz.com at work... LOL

Well guys, don't know if you've heard yet or not, but I just got terminated for cause from my job... my $60,000+ per year, skydiving addiction-supporting job. The story I got was "Inappropriate use of the internet," which basically means anything not pertaining to company business. They actually pointed out dz.com, said that I spend waay too much time on here, which is bullshit because I'm on less than I was a year or so ago. I log on in the morning at about 6:00, check the threads & am done 6:30 or so, then usually check again at lunch. lol So, for those of you that think you have the perfect job, that they're paying you to post on this forum, be aware, they can & will terminate your ass!! Of course, those of you that are in government positions are probably safe. LOL
No, it's all bullshit, they offered all of us severance about a month ago, and no one took it... so since the merger between Conoco & Phillips they're just basically looking for reasons to get rid of people, I won't be the last... certainly kicking myself for not taking that severance package now! So, if anyone knows of anyone looking for a systems analyst/programmer let me know, we're basically willing to move just about anywhere. lol
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Merrick:"So, for those of you that think you have the perfect job, that they're paying you to post on this forum, be aware, they can & will terminate your ass!!"
Holy Sh*&^%T SEE YA
Merrick:"Of course, those of you that are in government positions are probably safe. LOL
OuFFF! you got me scared for minute here "sweat beeds on fore head";)

The earliest people to leave typically get the biggest packages

And also because they are usually upper management who are in a position to see the writing on the wall before everyone else can...
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

hey merrick,
trhat fukn blows dude! sorry to hear it. but at least it wasnt any thing crazy lliuke taking too many risks for the compasny to insure you. go to the east coast like you wanted to. maybe thasts a sign. i was gonna order more necklaces from pam but now i'll hurry with em.:)my $ has never been spent on better things then skydivers and n.y'ers. so i'll be spending(cause i wont be jumping) soon. haha

Have fun, LIVE FREE, Skydive
JT

wow
sorry to hear you lost your job. i can actually sympathize to. just last week totally coincidentally my girlfriend and i both lost our jobs. totally unrelated incident but that timing is bizarre. anyway i am responding to you from brazil where we are currently visiting her family with previously paid for airline tickets but i am her which is good but have no jump money which is a bit fucked cause jumping at christmas is a dream for some one who lives in montreal
mark

Merrick,
Sorry to hear that you lost the job dude! Get another one soon to keep the habit up! Good luck.
Mark,
Sorry to hear about you too! Was good to meet up in Amsterdam, the girlfriend wants to come over to Canada, so we'll pop over and say hi at some time!
I was out of work for 3 months with the layoff from Nortel Networks, but have found a contract to keep me in jump tickets for a little while longer... There is work out there!!
Good luck you two!
Ben.

I hear the chick who owns it is a real ball-breaker

I think I recall that. Isn't she the one who was busted for violating both the minimum wage law and the child-labor law? I don't know how she possibly avoided jail time. Who would want to work for a psycho like that? ;)
Justin
My Homepage
PS Sorry about the job, Merrick. I'm sure you'll find an even better one.

Sorry to hear that, Merrick. But, now is your chance to do anything you want, and move to wherever you want. Embrace the change, and the challenge that your family faces, and you will probably look back on this in a few months, and say it was the best thing that ever happened to you.
Now that you have lots of free time, read the book, "Who moved my cheese?". It's a little book with a story that is very pertinent to your situation. I just read it a few days ago, and the lesson in it keeps going through my mind.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Merrick,
Sorry to hear that. It's the season unfortunately :(
Check this link out. You neve mentioned what kinda programming you do, but this position is for the Dept I am repsonsible for. If it's a close fit, I can get at least get your resume in front of the right person.
http://jobs.ucop.edu:8080/FMPro?-db=jobs.fp4&-format=jobdetails.html&-lay=main&-sortfield=date_edited&-sortorder=descend&approved=Yes&storage=No&edit_listing=No&mngr_approved=Yes&job_category=Technical&-max=10&-recid=32816&-find

That sucks big green donkey dicks like a Tijuana sex show!!!! Sorry to hear it. Nothing like getting canned at Christmas! So far it seems the 1200 lay offs from Bellsouth aren't going to affect me. WooHooo! Make an opportunity of the situation. Look for that job that you always wanted.......:)
"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

Well guys, don't know if you've heard yet or not, but I just got terminated for cause from my job... my $60,000+ per year, skydiving addiction-supporting job.

SUCK. Bastards. Let's bring the wrath of the entire skydiving community down on them.
Good luck, y'all...*I* think you should job-hunt in Texas, and I know a bunch of people who'd agree with me. :)Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

Merrick, I am so sorry that happend. I have had trouble finding a perm position all summer. It was bad salary wize in my field and then I broke stuff and then Sept 11th and now If I could afford Ramen Noodles I would break out the good China.
Now, I have been thru interviews that go up to the 3rd call back and it is competitive as hell. In addition to that, I will be taking a 10k cut to get back into my field in a higher position.
That reads, more work ~ less pay.
Please hang in there and we all should try and help each other as best we can. Apparently the ressesion is here.
Talk
http://www.AirAnn.com
Ugly Girl #6

Now, I have been thru interviews that go up to the 3rd call back and it is competitive as hell. In addition to that, I will be taking a 10k cut to get back into my field in a higher position. That reads, more work ~ less pay.

Yup. If I get close to my salary at Enron ($~65K) I'll be happy.
Used to be a programmer with my experience could command $80-90 K easily. Not anymore.
On the upside, being without a job has forced Liz & I to take major cuts in our activities (eating out, skydiving etc.) to the point that I think we can just squeak by on her salary. So when I do get another job, hopefully I can skydive even at a lesser salary since we're a little smarter about our expenses now.
Everything is a matter of perspective.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

to take major cuts in our activities (eating out, skydiving etc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eatin out? she still charges you for that?:)seriously, ihope stuff works out for all of you.
Have fun, LIVE FREE, Skydive
JT

Well, it was me a few months back if you'll remember, but with my salary (8 bucks and hour in these parts...12 back home but OK sucks for pay) it's not nearly as hard to get by without it. But like some of you had said, we really kinda wanted to go somewhere else anyway, so this is our big chance! The only reason we were staying here (we had actually just signed a contract on a new house the day before that luckily we got out of without any penalties) was his job security, or so we thought.
His old boss was a huge ass bitch though, so he just might be able to handle working for me now :) hehe
Seriously though...he and I are in this together and we'll do whatever is necessary. Shit, the entire U.S. is a possibility at this point!
Thanks a lot guys. :)
P
Closing pin jewelry