Merrick

*WARNING* Reading Dz.com at work... LOL

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, man, that sucks! Both of you are great people so I'm sure it'll turn out even better in the end.
I'm going to go with Jessica here, Look In Texas! You know you want to cross the river into the land of milk and honey...That and DFW is a big tech area, second only to that other crappy place, what was that? Oh, yeah, austin (stupid t-sips...).
Good luck, good hunting (job or old boss...)
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Thanks for all the sentiments guys I really appreciate it. I didn't mean for this to turn into a "Pity Merrick" thread, but hey, whatever works! ;) Like I said before, it was complete bullshit, and like Pam said, my old boss was a complete bitch and my new boss had already told of some "meetings" that her & he had about me... so basically their claims of internet use was just an excuse. Oh well....

"I hear there's a job opening at a hemp necklace sweat-shop..
Yep, and apparently her lesbian lover (Lynne) used to be a biker as well....

Yeah, fuck off little Willie... we've got the kids working double-time since the layoff, & Lynn has even offered to help out some.... so the sweat-shop is up and thriving.

"now is your chance to do anything you want, and move to wherever you want.

EXACTLY!!! Other than the initial shock of the news, this is the attitude that we've been trying to have. I was very unhappy with my job & this town in general, so I decided that this was probably best. We had decided to move to NC over the summer, after searching & not coming up with anything substantial, we resigned ourselves to the fact that we were stuck here for a while & decided to make the best of it. We found a house that we both absolutely loved, & then got screwed out of the negotiations. Then found another that took forever it seemed for us to agree on a contract. Well, a day later is when I got the news about my job (thankfully it made the contract void), it just seems that every time we made an effort to stay here, there was something always standing in our way.... this IS an opportunity to go where ever we want & do whatever we want! :)Lummy: Thanks for the link, but unfortunately that doesn't fit me. That's actually what I'm afraid of... when I accepted the position at Conoco I was under the impression that I would be doing mainframe work at first then getting more experience with distributed or client/server as well. Well, it never got any further than the mainframe stuff (so essentially my skills are COBOL, APS, JCL, & Reflection to name a few). When I finally decided enough was enough & asked my old boss (the bitch) for a change she suddenly assumed that I had a problem with her managing skills, thus giving her a problem with me, so I never got past the mainframe, & now I'm here without a job.
Anyway, thanks again guys, & blue ones!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

"old boss (the bitch)"
Dude.....you should have laid the pipe to her a little better. I'm tellin ya.....a little anal sex once a week or so will keep them from getting all snooty on you. Any less and they forget that men run things!!!! LOL......Good luck in the job hunting. My sister is in the same boat your in. Her contract just ran out and she went from makin $240,000 a year to $0.......At least it was a contract so it wasn't a sudden thing.......
"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

WOW Merrick that really bites. I'd like to say it shocks me they would do that, especially right before Christmas. But hey its not the first time. Of course this really strikes close to home for me.
I hope you guys find something, somewhere that will fulfill your lives. Good luck!

Zen, not just programmers, everyone...
My field started taking hits a couple of years ago as Doctors do not get paid as much as they used to, (for a lot of reasons, I see the books) -So- as they say stuff rolls down hill.
Alot of people try and draw a straight line from the Moneymaker to the Money.
Everyone in the middle, is cut out to save the money.
Moneymaker is what he/she is for that reason.
Doctors are ordinarily good at one thing or another -surgery or business. In 22 years I have seen ONE, maybe two, who was good at both. One was good enuff to have everything from a Swiss Chalet to A&M on the field injuries fun. But neither one could do the middle man stuff- and they knew it. So they kept the experienced people always. And thats how they made their money. All the cogs in the machine were present.
So what I am saying is - sooner or later a business will get into trouble by trying to cut corners by eliminating good people who can grease the way for the money to slide. You cant eliminate that one domino. This fact WILL surface - no matter what happens.
Begining in the late first quarter of next year we will turn this economy around. Second quarter of next year- the strong buiness savy companies will be revealed and the stuff will be rolling down hill again. We will start to see the recovery in the economy in those numbers. But not before a squeeky 1st quarter. In that first quarter we will see the mistakes of today.
But in your case, its different somewhat - you were thrown into a mess that was already present. Enron execs tried to go directly to the the money and make money off the money and it got freaky. They went outside the box and got too creative in the finacial realm. One of the many mistakes. Of which I know very little about. But guessing I would say greed over bigger numbers at a Wall St address, Duh, would be one factor. In an already weird stock market with tech stocks, energy did look good. Real good. I would have to say that everyone with a diversified portfolio had an energy stock in it.
In most businesses, baring another terrorist incident, this will level out by the second quarter of next year. That stone that hit the lake- ripple effect- will end. The restructuring of businesses that made the correct desicions of today will add to the recovery of the economy.
Therefore, in my humble opinion- If we dont freak out- we will see a better Spring. Till then we need to wait out the ripples.
http://www.AirAnn.com
Ugly Girl #6

Ann... I'm agreeing with you on everything but the recovery time. From everything that I've seen and heard (a bit since I work indirectly for a bank) its looking like the First quarter of next year is going to be a really rough time for anything thats had a bit of problems in the last 2 years (Tech, Energy, and transportation). The most common thing I've been hearing is that they are looking at the second quarter as the smoothing of the lake time period and maybe late in the quarter the Dow might hit 11000 again. 10000 is the bellweather right now, if it can close above 10000 for a week straight, that is going to reinspire some confidence, but once it hits 11000 thats the mark everyone is looking for the the economy has recovered. If everyone just keeps working, spending and investing, the economy will continue to recover.
BTW... If you've got money that can afford to take a bit of a loss now in hopes of large returns, you can pick up some stocks trading way below their market value right now. When the economy does return, and it will, these stocks could make your retirement a bit easier.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Right on Dude... I am thinking I can be off a quarter depending... So we just wait and see how we do.
The way I am thinking this morning is we have to see how our reactions affect the main plan in combo with everyone elses moves.
Agreed, do buy some stocks now that you feel are a mainstay. Even a couple of techs. Its all speculation right now.
Its the guy who goes against what everyone else thinks that in a rare case will make the big money in specualtion. Doing what everyone else does - decreases the profit. Example: The betting on the dead horse. (LOL) If he gets up and runs and wins the pay off is going to be ratio better. It is that one guy on Wall St. who happens to know that the horse is layin on a bee hive, that will take that long shot. (as if.. that made sense)B|
Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about.
I did really well in the stock market with JBL and FLEX. Buying in 1999 and selling in 2000. I felt like the the chips in cell phones technology, wireless technology for Palm Pilots, and ect. was the way to go at that point -baring any other advancement- that would be up and coming as a buy in 1999. So, bought a house with the funds and then promtly lost my ass in some other stock when I thought I knew what I was doing. Hell yes, my AirAnn port.fool.io - was all tech stocks. HEH? What idiot doesnt diversify? That would be -me.
http://www.AirAnn.com
Ugly Girl #6

Merrick- so sorry, my friend! What a shit way for the company to do the dirty deed! Sounds like the crap deal the workers have here in Georgia; you can be fired for any reason given by the company, and you can't fight the canning- :( Much empathy- may you find something much better!! Hugs to you and the family-
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

I'd like to say it shocks me they would do that, especially right before Christmas.

Oh hun, it doesn't shock me at all! That town is run by Conoco and I've always felt that Conoco didn't even have a clue who their people are. It's so impersonal...they will do whatever to whomever to get their end results. This is not the first time they've down such things to people, and I've heard of others besides Merrick right now...one guy had been there 20 years and it was out of the blue..just happened to him also.
I am told it's the way of big corporations. Well goody. Where do I sign up? :p
Closing pin jewelry

Merrick,
And any other It people for that matter, if you don't know or haven't used it, try www.DICE.com. It's a job board focused towards IT professionals. I have found my two of my last three positions from there.
It's also cool in the fact that you can narrow your serach field for say "mainFrame" in the 925 area code.
My work usually posts their job openings there as well, so if anyone sees a UCOP job they are interested in, Sure, I'll BS for ya :)

remeber, the military is always hiring!!!!!

LOL! If the military hired me they'd have a serious "Stripes" situation on their hands.
"That's the fact Jack!!!!!" :D
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."