PhreeZone

CN# 2 down.....

Repeat..... CN# 2 is down and needs help.....
Well.... I knew it would catch up to me sometime and today it finally did at jump 257. I'm writing tonight in extreme pain , with crutches, braces and some damn fine drugs :)To start off with today was a great day till 4:30. I had a couple of skydivers calling me all day to shoot the breeze and since the weather was so nice (43 degrees) I decided to do a skydive to make the great day even better. So I hop in the car, drive to the closest DZ taking back roads and enjoying the scenery at about 3:15. At about 3:40 I reach the DZ and am feeling really good. I gear up and decide to take the camera along since I’ve been watching my opening and landings to criticize them later with it.
There are some familiar faces from my home DZ floating around as well as some others that I know and have jumped with. The Cessna takes off with one load as I'm filling out the new year’s jumpers waiver and talking to the DZO's wife. As soon as the load lands it’s my turn and I run out to the plane with 2 other jumpers are just going to do hop and pops to enjoy the canopy ride.
So the Cessna climbs to 4200 feet and the first jumper takes about a 3 second delay and deploys. The Second jumper (CorperateLawyerDave aka BadDog on here) takes a long freefall and opens. I'm last out and only take about a 3 second delay and open. After a really soft opening I fly back to the DZ and have a blast under canopy. I think the video shows like 15 -20 spirals right over the peas....
Funny thing about this DZ is right in front of the peas there is a ditch that gently slopes down about 2 feet over about 10 feet wide. The sides of the ditch are defiantly a rising hill. Dave is first down and sets the pattern.
I follow about 8 seconds behind Dave in the pattern and line up to swoop and end up in the peas. I do my 90 Left to double front riser turn that I've been doing for the last 75 jumps. My Cobalt 150 loaded at 1.25:1 swoops just fine for me at that loading and I’ve been able to get 65-75 foot swoops with it so I’m happy. As I'm coming across the ground and about 15 feet in to a swoop (that I had to pick my feet up for anyways, I was a touch low :$) I realize I'm sinking down into the ditch and am below ground level on the other side. I stab at the toggles to get me up just a foot or two, but at my ground speed and the amount of input I did, it transferred into way too much lift and I suddenly find myself at 6-8 feet with a canopy that's at its flare point.
The canopy starts to fall and I reached for the ground with both hands, but the left one reached faster and I fall to the left from about 6-8 feet from a near stall. I fall completely on my right ankle and complete a PLF onto the back and other side of my body. As soon as I realized that I was down I reached up and turned off the camera I was jumping since I didn’t want any record of what was about to come out of my mouth. :$
As I'm laying there in extreme pain telling Dave that I'm fine and it wasn’t bad, I'm taking the rig off to make it easier to move. I manage to hobble back into the hanger and pop the shoes off to take the jump suit off. As soon as I reached down to undo the ankle Velcro, I knew it wasn’t cool. I've attached a picture of the size of my right ankle a few minutes (less then 2) after the crashed landing. The DZ had someone drive me and the DZO's wife followed in my car to the hospital.
After an hour and a half, 4 X-Rays, and a lot of poking and prodding to the ankle they determined that its a really bad sprain, with nothing that they could really do other then issue me a prescription for some drugs, brace me up and send me home. So here I am, at home with some drugs, a swollen ankle covered in ice, crutches, an ankle brace, and doctors orders not to jump (or in his words “No impacts…..” since my insurance doesn’t cover skydiving injuries…..) for at least 4 and he’d prefer 6 weeks. :( But none the less, this CN will be returning to the air once he gets clearance to from the DR’s. The family was questioning my desire to jump after the injury, but they will never understand the freedom and feelings experienced in freefall. I can’t give them up though.:)If anyone is in Central Ohio and has nothing to do for the next 4-6 weekends, let me know. I’m in the same boat :)That’s all for now….
PS Look for the crash video in the Vault once I get around to encoding it :)Phree
Canopy Nazi #2
And on the ground for another 4 weeks and counting….
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Dammit! But glad it isn't broken.

I dunno. Sprains can be worse than breaks.
My left ankle is *still* stiff from the post-beer-light bonfire hopping injury I had back at Halloween. :$
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I've got a mirror up here: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~bjmarti1/crash.wmv
It's on U of I's student server, which is usually pretty quick. It might disappear at any time though, the last time I mirrored something popular the university admins yanked it for me.
--
Brian
perl -e '$i=14500;while($i>2500){sleep($d);$d=5;print"$i\n";$i-=1000}print"Pull!\n"'

So, is this your first sprained ankle from skydiving? Huh, huh? Sounds like beer...
j/k
Sorry to hear about your ankle. When I saw the thread, I feared that something much worst happened. Have fun with the cool drugs and before you know it, you'll be back in the air.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

Click on it, it should launch your default video player, it may take a little while to download to beable to actually view it. Or, right click (if you're on a PC, click and hold on a Mac) and select "Save Target As" or Save As or any variation of which and save the video to somewhere convienent on your computer. Once its downloaded, open it in your favorite video viewing software. :)Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-