Zennie

Can I Jump Out Of An A/C With A BASE Rig?

Legally?
I thought you had to have a TSO'd reserve in your rig. But I've had one person tell me that there's nothing that prohibits it.
And yes I have something in mind. ;)
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Legally?

No. See below
Sec. 105.43 Parachute equipment and packing requirements.
(a) No person may make a parachute jump, and no pilot in command of an
aircraft may allow any person to make a parachute jump from that aircraft,
unless that person is wearing a single harness dual parachute pack, having at
least one main parachute and one approved auxiliary parachute that are packed
as follows:

If you want to read all of FAR Part 105(which you could read in the SIM, also), check out...
http://www.chutinggallery.com/services/safety/far105.htm
If you want to strap on a belly mount reserve, sure you can jump a BASE rig..
Mike

You could probably do it and live, but the FAA would tear up the pilot's license if they heard about anyone jumping out of an airplane wearing a BASE rig.
Even if you wore a TSO'd chest mounted reserve, the FAA would give you grief because you are not wearing a TSO'd harness.
Even if you don't hold any FAA licenses, they can still slap you with a nasty fine for violating an FAR.
Remember that Steve Magnuson got slapped with a $500 fine the second time the FAA caught him repacking his own reserve.

Steve Magnuson is an old-time jumper who lives in Southern California.
Steve claims that he had a bad experience with a rigger many years ago.
Ten or fifteen years ago he got caught for repacking his own reserve without a rigger's license.
In 1997 Steve took his reserve to Master Rigger Al Frisby for a repack. When Al found a cracked stiffener in the reserve container and several burns on the (round) Phantom reserve, he called the last rigger whose name was on the packing data card: "Dead Ted." Ted reviewed his logbook, then denied having repacked Magnuson's reserve.
The local FAA Designated Parachute Rigger Examiner was called in.
Eventually Magnuson admitted to having a reserve ride, repacking his own reserve and forging Ted's signature. The FAA fined Magnuson $500.
We are not sure which mis-deed made the FAA more angry: repacking a damaged reserve canopy, or forging a signature.

Why do an aircraft when you can do a B or A or S or E........where is your thought going on this???........... check out ABA there is a discussion about it...........
bsbd

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

"And yes I have something in mind. "
Zennster, if you just want to play with the canopy, you could always rig it into your 'regular' vector....Or maybe I am away up the wong track here? Spose it depends what you you have in mind....Maybe get that low hop n pop as long as the pilot lets you out ;), after all we hate getting on the plane then having to land don't we!!!
Cya
D

Hehehe... OK here was what I had in mind. It's something I've been toying with in my noodle for a wihle...
I've wanted to do BASE. Problem is, if I get caught by my wife -- especially if it's a call from jail -- I'm toast. So I got to thinking, what if I just did a heli/balloon jump but got out low (like 500 feet) with a BASE rig on? Sort of "practice" BASE if you will.
My main reason for askingthe question was that if it were legal, I could probably do it any weekend they had a balloon or heli out and not worry about getting busted.
Since it isn't legal (which is what I suspected) if I stap a BASE rig on, it may as well be for real. :P
And yeah no way I'd do it out of a plane. One, you're not getting the straight down fall, and two the opening would be a bitch! ;) I was even a little iffy about a heli, cuz I'm not sure what effect the prop wash would have.
Thanks all! :)"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

would have thought Blinc or some other base board would have a whole forum on "Potential BASErs whose spouses don't approve". It can't be uncommon.

I may have to bop on over there and ask. I'm sure I'm not the first to go through this either. Hell, they prolly have a whole dang Howto manual on the subject. ;)
I just don't like asking questions like that on Blic cuz some folks get kinda testy.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I'm planning on doing a BASE jump this summer. In preparation for it, an experienced BASE jumper i know is putting his canopy in my skydiving rig so i can get familiar with the way the canopy flies. He wants me to do a few hop n pops out of the plane to get ready for my first jump. After I do that, he's putting the canopy back in the BASE rig and taking me for my jump.
Cowboy take me away, fly this girl as high as you can into the wildblue ~ Dixie Chicks

Hey Zennie, even us understanding SO get a little not so understanding. I know when he is going, I've even ran ground crew, but it still worries the heck out of me.
On the other hand it is sooooo not fair when I say I wanna go and make a BASE jump and all he says is.....NO. No lets talk about it, no well my gear wouldn't fit you, and you are to small for anyone elses I know, no I'm an industrious rigger I'll figure something out...just a no way in hell are you going BASE jumping....
Damn men :P
Kelli

right off the headboard into the bed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh is that what B in BASE is standing for these days.

Well, DUH! Of course that is what the B stands for. And the S is for the sofa. :D

Justin....isn't your wife in the landing area though? I think that definately constitutes a hazard..

Yes, it sure would. And since she is now 7 months pregnant, there ain't as much of the bed left as an LZ anyway. :o :$ Did I just say that? ;)
[disclaimer] Before any of the ladies vow to castrate me if they ever meet me, I'm only joking. I think it is great that my wife is pregnant and I don't give her any shit for getting bigger. She has a baby in there, not bonbons. [/disclaimer]
Justin