Milo

What motivated you beyond your first skydive?

Hello,
My question is due partially as a follow up to another thread, and partially from a dicussion I had with a non jumper at work today.
For me, jumps 2 through 20 were pretty terrifying. And I refused to 'quit' something I had started just because I was scared.
I moved away from my first dropzone and winter hit and I didn't jump for another 3.5 years. I started over from scratch with another static line course.
I returned to the sport because I wanted the adrenaline. I wanted something that was very intense in order to balance what was a very stressful job, at the time, for me.
My mental progression was as follows:
First and second jumps, curiosity.
3rd-25th jumps, proof to me that I won't run from something that scares me.
25th through 40th jumps, a motivation to learn skills that are not easy for me, and also skills that none of my non-jumping friends know exist.
40th through 45th jumps, an affirmation that I'm not going to run from something that scares me and a realization that 'This is really, really Freaking cool!!'
I had a hard time explaining more experienced jumping to my co-worker. I said some jumpers want to push their personal limits. Maybe they do it by by flying 250 miles an hour or learning to fly head down or sitfly. I also said some other jumpers may count RW points, and keep score similiar to golfers or bowlers or baseball teams. (It sounded lame to me, too.)
What are your thoughts?
Milo

Theres really only one thing that motivated me from jump #2 all the way to #69, and that is that THIS SPORT KICKS F#CKING ASS!!!!!!!!!!! Not trying to sound like an ego but I dont jump to save anything, to prove anything, or to anything anything, I jump to have a kick ass time , learn a new sport and make some freinds along the way. I just wanted to keep doing it for the feeling of it physically and the feeling I get when i make a good jump (good jump meaning that I did everthing we said we were going to do) The only motivation I need is a good day, a plane , and a rig!!!!! AND I"M THERE!!! (well ...I may need a kitchen pass too;))
jason

I still have only 23 jumps, but I know I'm in for the long haul. My motivation to continue is the clarity I feel in the air. No one is bitching at you about bills, no 30 page research papers can reach you at 10 grand. I long for a weekend fix. I think it was the only thing that got me through last semester.
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

In reply to:
---------------------
My motivation to continue is the clarity I feel in the air. No one is bitching at you about bills, no 30 page research papers can reach you at 10 grand. I long for a weekend fix. I think it was the only thing that got me through last semester.
------------
My first 20 jumps I was at an Army language school. 12 to 14 hours a day of class and study. The weekends at the dropzone gave me a valid reason to flush all that from my brain, my life and sanity depended on it.
Milo

For me the first jump was cuz I'd wanted to do it for 10 years or so.. that and the fact that my b/f did it the week before and told me it was really cool.
Second was cuz the first one was so much fun, I had to do it again (and to prove that I could arch instead of argh...).
Third through fifth cuz I had to do five s/l's before they'd let me freefall and they all kept saying how cool freefall was.
Six through 15 because I wanted to get off student status and be able to jump with my b/f.
16-806.... because I just love this shit! :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

What a great question, Milo! When I touched ground after my first tandem, I figured that was it, I had done a skydive and lived, that was enough for l'il ol me :)But after hubby & our 2 friends landed from their first jump (they did the straight AFF progression), they were so excited and *alive* that the enthusiasm was contagious and we all headed out a few weeks later for jump #2. After tandem #3, I knew I wanted to try this on my own, without hitching a ride with someone.
The rest of my jumps have gone something like this: Jumps #4 - #7, pure stubborness on my part to keep going even though my legs were always shaking the minute the door opened.
Up to about #25: I can't believe they let me jump out of a plane, all by myself, anytime I want to, this is sooo great!! B|
Jump #41: Samantha came into my life...mirageG3, spectre170...sweet baby :-*
Up to about #75: always something different, tremendous learning curve, 2-& 3-way drills, learned to sitfly...oh, and I finally learned to land on my feet, not my ass! Skydiving is so much more fun when it doesn't hurt! lol
To jump #130: 4-way RW...perfect the exits, slowly turning those points and refining body position...also, have really worked on canopy skills, always improving on those
I am still learning every single time I jump (probably always will!) I'm 37 now, been jumping for 1-1/2 years, and hope to be jumping many years from now. My motivation for continuing is the challenge & freedom of the sport...you can get out of it whatever you want to put in! Not to mention that I've met and made friends with the greatest people on earth!!
Blue skies,
Karen

# 1 was after a divorce and I wanted to do something for ME for a change. IF you watch that tandem video you will see me mouth the words " i am scard to death" right when it was our turn to move to the door"
Tandem No 2 was the same day.. As soon as my feet touched that ground.. I just wanted to get back up there!
Stated AFF the following weekend so jumps 4-20 were a learning battle, but nevertheless, INCREDIBLE!! I seemed to have A HUGE brainfart with the UPwind issues.. LOL..
#20-60 were all about finding out who I am again.. oh yah.. and concentration on landing on my feet..
#100 on Sunday.. Priceless. Skydiving is all of my life now.. I look back and can hardly remember what I did with myself every weekend and how very different my life would be right now if i would have never made that First jump! I wouldn' t change ONE SINGLE THING..
Never better said than.. Peace, Love & Soul...
Blue skies & sunset jumps
...Tina

I really thought i would jump once. Yeah right. I did 2 tandems, then signed up for s/l training. I was terrified on all my student jumps and on every plane ride the JM's would always ask me if i was ok. I once made the comment "it terrifies me to do it, but i'm more terrified of never experiencing that awesome feeling again" Of course the JM told me i was pyscho after hearing that.....;) The first time i jumped and didn't experience that "fear" feeling was prolly around my 80th jump or so. I just can't imagine my life without skydiving.
"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand" ~ Homer

I think this past weekend and the experiences I had fall right into this category...
I did jumps 11-19. I was a lucky one who went straight AFF and graduated in 7 jumps (that was 3 weeks ago). Since then I have been focused on getting my A license, but more so on enjoying the amazing sport I have come to love in such a short time.
My coach said it best "In AFF they taught you to jump safely, I wanna teach you to FLY" That's how I see it, I am learning to fly, how many whuffos spend their weekend doing something that cool?
I felt amazing things this weekend:
Fear like I have never known when my HopnPop occured unexpectedly in a minor emergency.
A sense of belonging when I spent the night at the DZ on Saturday with people who all have a common bond.
A feeling of Victory when I stood up all my landings (except the one in the weeds across the road, ugggh oops)
Pride when I accomplished what was planned on a particular dive or pulled off an accurate landing.
Insanity when I tried front riser dives, got the shit scared outta me and then did it again and again and again.
I felt confident when I took my first ride in a Cessna 205 and was trusted to spot for the load, then lept out at 3800ft. into snow and sleet. Oh yeah and that was the first time I had jumped my own pack job too.
Now I feel like something is missing, as I sit here dreaming of the next opportunity I have to leap from a "perfectly good airplane"
That's how I see it...
Kwak
Stupidity is a crime.

My first jump was a S/L from 4500ft, and I knew while doing that first jump, even before that jump that this was something that I was motivated to do for a long time. So, the second jump was never a question, it was more of an economic problem.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

Hey, Milo! Glad to see you again! From my first (a total of 14 tandems brfore I could get the courage to jump on my own- fear of heights, thru a year-at-a-time breaks for family or health reasons, static-line thru jump#4- too much altitude and an uncontrollable spin, fear break (8 months), starting the AFF program, up to getting stuck on level IV thru 7 tries with non-helpful AFF jumpmasters, a 10-jump package at Flyaway to correct that dadgummed uncontrollable spin, changing jumpmasters and then finally passing the rest of the program with no problem) taste of the air, all I wanted was to be back up there-- no matter how scared I got, I knew I belonged there, and with the fine family of people I found doing this insanely pleasing sport, felt right at home.
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

Ummm...I was having fun...Why stop? :)Last summer it was Free Flying...and more Free Flying...then Hooking and learning to surf. Now I'm getting motivated to work with novice jumpers by the coach's course. Maybe an AFF and tandem rating in the future. Plus...I still have a long way to go in Free Flying before anyone even calls me "Good" :D
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

I only planned to do AFF1.
I was so overwhelmed with how quickly it happened and how amasing it was. I just had to do it again! For one, to prove that I could do a better job of it and secondly to re-live the amasing feeling.
Love it, it's the BEST.

The people at the dropzones kept me going more than anything else. My first instructors kept me motivated by challenging me until I got off the SL rope and into freefall, then when I went to another DZ the atmosphere there just dragged me in.
That place knew how to have fun. The people more than anything else made me want to come back to. DZs are pretty laid back and you can just be yourself.
Right now my main motivation is to get my skills up to the point where I can just goof off in the air. I want to climb all over the planes at altitude, kick off and just slide through the sky whereever my whim takes me. Total freedom.

This is really awesome reading each of your experiences. I have only done 2 tandem jumps this past December, but I will be in Florida for 2 weeks this May to do my AFF and hopefully complete enough jumps to get my A.
During this wait time I am in, I have asked myself alot of questions. Am I really going to do this? My answer always seems to be that I am more afraid NOT to do it. I also wonder what purpose does all this serve, I mean is it a blatant waste of money, does it do anything for humanity? My answers seem to be Yes and No and then No and Yes. I guess I am just doing it because I can and I think I have to.
So I am in my mental preparation mode. I have bought books, videos and magazines. I check out this website as often as possible. I have emailed my DZ with stupid questions and I think they are sick of me. I think my tandem jumpmaster has even blown me off because of all my emails. I do not know a single skydiver personally. Not a single member of my family, friends, coworkers, etc have any interest in skydiving. How do I share what is going on inside of me. I just know the pure exhileration I felt from my 2 jumps (And I didn't even do the work!). No one can take that from me.
God, May cannot come fast enough. I look at it this way, by May 14th many of my questions will be answered and I will maybe understand what all of you are talking about. I will either be hooked forever or decide it is not for me. I actually fear the latter.
The bottom line, it's a great ride!
"I am a victim of my environment."
Chris

For me, it would be sassy showing me those tapes of her 4-way stuff adn some freefly videos. Once I got into it a little though, it was the camaraderie at the dz,s as well as the personal satisfaction of new accomplishment as my skills improved. Both of those still drive me. AND the fact that nothing is more relaxing than leaving the plane. All my problems stay on the plane and it takes them a couple of days to find me again.
chopchop
PD makes canopies all day long, you only have one life, when in doubt, cut away...