skybytch

CN#1 retires

News flash -
Canopy Nazi #1 hereby retires. It's become glaring obvious to me that the whole concept of downsizing safely and really learning how to fly a canopy before buying something small and high performance is old fashioned. I'm tired of having my every post on the subject dogged by certain people. I get enough grief from the teenager I have at home; I don't need to listen to it here too.
Those who value what I've had to say, you know how to find me. I'll still be around taking care of the moderator duties Sangiro asked of me, and I'll still be posting in all the forums.. but my days of offering advice on canopy selection that I've learned over the past 12 years in the sport and 5 1/2 years selling gear, the kind of advice that just might keep someone from injuring or killing themselves or others while they are still learning about flying a canopy, are over.
Go jump whatever you want at whatever wingloadings you think you can handle. Listen to whoever will tell you what you want to hear. Do the happy dance, the wicked bytch is dead.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

sorry to hear this lisa, i'll still think of your advice next time i get a new canopy....."hmmmm, would this eliptical that is 100sq.ft. smaller than my f111canopy hrut me????.....hmmmm....." HELL YES!!!!!! it may seem that your words go unnoticed but some of us do take them to heart......

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

Damnit Lisa.... you stole my idea. Well...This is it for the Canopy Nazi's then. I'm done too. CN#2 is going into retirement as of now.
I've been getting my ass rode at work for the amount of time I was spending on here trying to give my words of input on things, but it seems lately to be falling on deaf ears. Work will be happy to see me working all the time agian.
I'm just sick of having to explain time after time after time things that should be clear to even a whuffo. But hell, what do I know? I like having my fellow jumpers around, but it seems like some of you don't value your jumping buddies as much as I do mine....
Hell....Go get the smallest, funnest canopies you can find, fly them and send me post cards from the ICU in a few months. I promise not to laugh too hard....
I'm still going to be around here too, put due to some people, its going to be a whole lot less and I'm going to try my best not to post in the Canopy, Gear, or Saftey areas because my old fashioned canopy saftey ideas just don't seem to go well around here where the "Progressive methods" have left me behind it seems.
If anyone still wants to hear a conservitive opinion on things, Private Message me since the tribe has spoken and I seem to have been voted out..... It was fun while it lasted.
Safe Swoops,
Phree
Murphy's Laws of Love - If the person isn't taken, there's a reason for that...

If anyone still wants to hear a conservitive opinion on things, Private Message me since the tribe has spoken and I seem to have been voted out..... It was fun while it lasted.

Y'all...what about the new jumpers? They won't know to PM you. :(
I've always enjoyed and appreciated your opinions. And I remember a couple of instances where you seemed to talk someone out of a dangerous canopy choice. Isn't getting your ass ridden a little worth that?
Walk a mile in your enemy's shoes. Then you're a mile away and have his shoes.

I don't post here as much as I read so for what it's worth...sometimes you got to let the comments others make roll off like water on a ducks back. Experience really needs to be shared, even if it's not appreciated.
Kind of like when I have younger jumpers lecturing me on the type of canopy I should be jumpin, usually with some exotic metal sticking out of some part of their body. My usual response is "20 years,no zippers."
BSBD,
Rainbo

Damn, if you guys aren't going to preach safe buying decisions, who is? I know there's a lot of people on here that agree with you; I'd be a canopy nazi if I had the experience, but at this point in my jumping career I don't feel comfortable telling someone with 200 jumps that I think they're making a mistake, when I don't even have 100 yet.
If you really don't want to deal with the bullshit, though, that's understandable... stay excellent my dudes!
Blue skies
Marc

Lisa,
I hope that you will reconcider. Let me tell you a story about a young skydiver who came to this site and was looking for some help. I had just made something like my 45th jump and had spent the better part of an hour holding someones throat open because they had dragged their 1:1.5 canopy out of the closet where it had been for the last several months and made a low toggle turn. Your advice and this bloody scene showed me the way to safely get down to a size that I could enjoy and be safe on. I am constantly amazed at the new bits of preformance that I can wring out of my Spectre 1:1.15 and always think back to your sage advice. Please take up the fight it is a tough one but one that we must all try to fight because nothing is more painful than seeing a friend carted off to hospital or morgue because no one was there to say no. We ned you.
God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross

Rainbo,

Experience really needs to be shared, even if it's not appreciated.
Kind of like when I have younger jumpers lecturing me on the type of canopy I should be jumpin, usually with some exotic metal sticking out of some part of their body. My usual response is "20 years,no zippers."

Thank you...that reinforces all that I have learned...
TripleF
BOOBIES, BOOBIES, BOOBIES, BOOBIES...(Whoops, I said it again...Tee-hee...)

Y'all...what about the new jumpers? They won't know to PM you.
I've always enjoyed and appreciated your opinions. And I remember a couple of instances where you seemed to talk someone out of a dangerous canopy choice. Isn't getting your ass ridden a little worth that?

Jessica is right on this one. A newbie won't know that you 2 are good people to get information from. I'm sure alot of people just lurk the forums and never post, but i bet they get alot of information that helps them choose what canopy to buy. Don't let a few stupid people run you off.
"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand" ~ Homer

I say, retire the Canopy Nazi numbers...never much cared for the term personally...Nazi's only give a shit about themselves, and Lisa & Phree quite obviously care about other skydivers. I'm sure that with the creative minds on this forum, we can come up with a better designation for you both!! In the meantime, don't stop the advice...there are always going to be debates on canopy issues, and a wide variety of opinions is *always* important, k?
Blue skies, light winds
Karen

Hey guyz! I don't post often but i read alot and i've learn alot of stuff from the Nazi's just from reading your opinions. Hell i don't own my gear yet but i'll have alot of safe knowledge when i do get the $ to buy one. Anyway! Thanx! we know where to find you.
P.L.U.R.

"You have to have a thick skin when you want to make a difference." That was told to me when I started my website. I was told that I would have to be ready to be attacked and ridiculed for my efforts. But, I believe in what I am saying and so I must continue. It's a promise I made to my fallen friends. You have to continue to do what you believe in.
I haven't been following the canopy sizing threads. I can imagine what is being said. You're being too conservative. You're just trying to sell them two canopies instead of one. Yadda...Yadda..Yadda. You gotta do what you believe in.

Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

I agree with Karen. In my limited amount of time in this sport...I have come to appreciate and listen to the advice of others with respect to canopies. I somewhat understand the differences in different canopies...especially after the posts in Skymedic's thread. But I still have a LOT to learn, and it's people like Lisa and others who help people like myself to make smart choices in our canopy selections.
What you "think" you cannot do ...you CAN if you "think" about it ;)

Nah! Don't retire! Besides, I love my big-ass canopy. I like to scare the shit outta the tiny-ones in the landing pattern... I'm thinking of Up-sizing anyway. (just kidding) You KNOW we all love to hear words of wisdom. And I'll keep my 1:1.15 wingloading. (unless I get fatter):o