cloud9

Remember This?

The best way I have heard it put comes from my Dad, and from someone older that told him when he was my age. "The more people there are, the more regulated things will become."

Ahhh..... But here's the REAL problem isn't it? And where do people get these notions? Are you trying to say that hatred and intolerance for your fellow man is NATURE? OR is it a learned trait (NURTURE)?
I think I need a boobie while I ponder this....
Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

"NATURE? OR is it a learned trait (NURTURE)?"
Actually it's nature. I saw an experiment in a monkey cage once. They started out with a small amount and kept adding new members once a week I think it was. The more monkies in the cage, the less tolerant and more violent they became. Since man is so highly evolved we kill each other off to remedy this problem. *shrug*
"I only have 125 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

I wasnt gonna really respond cuz i dont like political discussions but somebody mentioned Chile and being Chilean and having my parents live through the whole CIA-Allende-Pinochet thing, I will put in my 2 cents.
While the issue seems to be whether or not the US should get involved, sometimes it does help to look at what was happening at the time in the country and what has happened since to get a different perspective. I don't know enough about the situation to be pro or anti-Pinochet but most of my extended family back in Chile is still pro-Pinochet. At the time of the coup, the country was on its way to becoming another Cuba. The country was insanely poor, and people had curfews dictated by the government. Soldiers would march down the streets and people would swear at them for not standing up to Allende. People would have to wait in lines for things like sugar and flour. The country was in piss poor shape. To many people the coup was the best thing that could have happened. Usually, the only side that is heard is from the people that ran in exile that make a ton of noise. Granted, persecution and murder is never justified, and i dont think all of what people say Pinochet did was necessary or "good" (for lack of a better term). Still, its my thinking that a revolution doesnt happen without bloodshed (glorious revolution aside). Since that time Chile has rebuilt itself to become, in my somewhat biased opinion, a model country in south america. While other countries wallow in economic misery and change their currency every 4 days and have warlords tearing the country apart, Chile is doing well and progressing nicely.
The point to all this (and there is one), is that people here debate whether or not the US should get involved in certain affairs of other countries. THis is a valid argument, for there are times where the US had no business being where it was, whereas other times are, i think, justified. I just think that someone, at some point, should ask the people that are directly affected to get a true first-hand opinion.
now, um...boobies?
blue skies
Tomas

"should ask the people that are directly affected to get a true first-hand opinion"
The problem with that is..there are always two sides. Which one is right? Which one do we pick? In Colombia the choice is pretty easy these days. The solution is however not so easy. In other places...it's not so easy....:( Hey are you going to be like "Whats his name" from Bolivia....He went to Texas A*M I belive before going home to become President. Seems to be a pretty smart guy too. I watched a PBS interview the other day with him. He has some very good ideas.

do you know how much a year this country spends on "intelligence analysts"??? Shitloads!! We worry waaaay too much about the needs of "this adminstration" or the "here and now" and far too little about the long term ramifications of supporting the Noriegas, Bin Ladens, Quadafis, and other assorted "no-goodnicks" of this world. THAT is what i am saying...If i were to propose a solution to Dubbya, i would say the same thing parents all over the world say when raising their children...THINK before you act! (Wise man say) "It is much easier to put out fires if you don't play with matches in the first place" ~~i need to stop eatinig so much chinese!~~

"Yeah, It makes sense to get involved in Columbia to protect that oil pipeline"
If you think that is anywhere even close to the entire issue you don't know much. Let me ask you this.....How much money do you think is LOST every time those jackasses blow up that pipeline. Money that would go into the economy. How bout tourism...How much money in tourism is Clombia losing every year because of the war? Fuck....don't get me started!!!

The only problem is all the other people in the world that would just as soon kill you and I both cause they have decided we are evil

Do you ever wonder why this is? Perhaps Americans should tell their government to stop exploiting the people of other countries ...
One world, one people

Bottom line here is: you can't stop extreme people,being extreme.
And there are three side,s to every story your side,their side, and the truth.
The U.K. has suffered terrorism for over thirty years, (we have our political issues to put to bed too) but i wonder how many people still shove a few dollars in in the tin "for the cause" even though Sien Fien has no actual control over the PIRA or the REAL (?) IRA anymore.
The peace process is more a way of stopping civil war than protecting "our" intrests in N.I
Personaly i would like to see the withdraw of british troops and let all get on with it.

Uhhhhhh..how about no Scott.
I was refferring to:

To each his own. What may be right for you is EXACLTY that, RIGHT for YOU....

Ideally, that is an excellent attitude, but in civilization, ie groups of people living together without anarchy, regulation is essential. If there is not common code it is impossible to function together. Just like the DZ, there are rules, so that irresponsible people do not affect others.
The only real question is who makes the policy. Then you can get into the whole democracy working for you or against you or whatever. But either way, there has to be policy. Which is where I came in saying that with more people comes more regulation. And if you think everyone here tries to tell you what to do, you should try another country sometime, most places that have been around longer than the US don't have many of the personal freedoms we take for granted. For example, airport security vs. time...until very recently.
Malachi

I was in London this past November at the time when our bombing campaign in Afghanistan was really heating up and we were catching quite a few of the high ranking Taliban and Al Qaeda. The hotel lobby I was in had the TV on the BBC news and I heard them use the term "American Atrocities" over and over. Well naive me, thought they were referring to the events of 9/11...No, the "American Atrocities" was our bombing campaign in Afghanistan! I also spoke with some anti-war protestors outside one of the tube stations. Their propaganda was how awful our Country was to Afghanistan and how much the Afghani's were starving! Well that was all this New Yorker needed to hear. I wanted to take these dumbasses, drop them at Ground Zero where the bodies of two people I know will never be found, and have them tell us we are to look the other way and allow this real "atrocity" to continue. America is leading the charge, with Britain's help, feeding and rebuilding Afghanistan. For the first time in years, women have rights! I could go on and on. England is our greatest ally and I am glad we have free speech, I just wish there was a little more truth being said. I still think this is the greatest and probably kindest nation on the face of the earth. God Bless America!
And that's my $.02! >:(
"I am a victim of my environment."
Chris

Bottom line here is: you can't stop extreme people,being extreme.
And there are three side,s to every story your side,their side, and the truth.

I think this is dead on. America can be as friendly as it wants, but it'll be a target no matter what. Were the Jews in Germany really to blame for all the problems there prior to WW2?
Nope, but hate is an emotion that has enormous political use, so long as you can find a target for it.
Sometimes America screws up when it gets involved, but most of the time we're trying to do the right thing. We think freedom is the best thing since sliced cheese and have this stupid desire to spread it around.

The US is always at a disadvantage...if we get involved we get shit on...if we dont then the bitch at us for not helping...or not helping soon enough to prevent something.....it sucks..
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

In Afghanistan. They are now attending schools, etc....

Give me a break...
Yeah, and we sat back and did nothing about it for 4 years.
IF we're going to use the MORAL reasonings, then at least make it uniform. Let's bomb the Hell outta China for taking away personal rights. NUKE the Gold coast for using Child slave Labor YEP YEP YEP, Our way of thinking is the only way, Everyone else is wrong.
Don't get me wrong, 9/11 was an atrocity and the assholes should be brought to justice. Let's keep the apples in the apple basket
Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

prior to Sep. 11 USA gave more in humanitarian aid to Afghanistan than the enitre rest of the world COMBINED.
Not that that is important to some groups of people. Our efforts to save Muslims in Bosnia was conveniently glossed over by some Muslims who have a need to portray the USA as the Great Satan.
Granted, there's a lot we could change about America's foreign policy. But you also have to understand, even if the USA always made the right choices (ha ha), we would still get a lot of shit, simply because of our position. 1) we're a rich & powerful country, & therefore an easy target and 2) even if its the right foreign policy choice, its going to work out bad for someone, and they'll be pissed off. And no matter what the US does, it will always be easy for SOMEONE to say, "OH, the USA is exploiting people!"
Anyway, when you see something like the Sep. 11 attack you always get people thinking, "What could inspire someone to do something so awful?" Some people will recognize the criminals for what they are, but you'll always have the "blame America first" crowd who will try to rationalize it & say things like ,"well it was a RESULT of US foreign policy..." By using the word RESULT like that, it gives the impression that the attack was simple cause-and-effect, rather than a criminal atrocity. It designates America as the "prime mover" of evil, and the terrorists as just naturally reacting to it. If we had listened to these weenies & not responded, it would simply re-enforce this mindset. Our enemies would think, "Oh, we must be right, and deep down America knows it, and so they don't have the moral courage to fight back."
When the rest of the civilised world condemned the act, and Al Quaeda and the Taliban started getting their butts kicked, Muslims who were amibivalent about the whole thing (and were in positions to express their opinions) began to ask some hard questions about the presence of destructive, medieval fanatics in their midst.
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

England is our greatest ally
hey how bout australia :)
its all good to say ppl hate us if we do and ppl hate us if we dont but when it comes down to it desicions to go to other countrys are based politcly rather than moraly.Ok australia and indonesia are really stretched at the moment say they attacked us while we and the america are very close allies if the ppl in the US said they didnt want there soldiers here than they wouldnt be regardless of an deals friendships, debts or morals.Politics control the world, you may remember there was a huge commotion about us sending a boat of refugees away including from the us and britian, what wasnt mentioned was that we are second(behind canada) in giving refugees homes everyyear its all political. Dont get me wrong its not just the US australia does it so does every other country. Thats life
"disclaimer" if anyone getten pissed at any of my posts and pretty much most if not all of the others this is more academic than acctualy saying you suck we rule :)
(o):P(o)