mountainman

Mardi Gras Boogie - Zhills style

Anyone here know anything about the Mardi Gras Boogie at Zhills? Laura and I were thinking about going there during the boogie at the tail end of our trip for about three days. What do you think?
If you have been there, let me know what you think of it. The dropzone and the boogie itself. Also, if you have specific info about it, can you please tell me? They don't have a lot of info on their site about it. How much are jumps? What planes? Do I need to register?
Thanks all!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

First off Z-hills is in the middle of nowhere. Its about 2 or 3 miles into town and its a real tiny town of retired people so there isn't really much to do other than skydive. I don't think there is even a hotel nearby. Your best bet is probably tent camping if you want to stay near the action. The closest city is Tampa which is about a 30 min drive to Z-hills.
The DZ is pretty self-contained. They have snack bar and bar on site. There are lots of good belly flying organizers for all skill levels. There weren't too many freefliers there and the ones that were there were doing pretty advanced stuff like ball jumps. There is definitely more flat flying than freeflying going on. They have three Super Otters during the winter season and jumps are $17 to 13,500. I would just call them to get more info about the Mardi Gras boogie. HTH
Also don't land out in the swamp...gators, big bugs, and mud

There weren't too many freefliers there and the ones that were there were doing pretty advanced stuff like ball jumps. There is definitely more flat flying than freeflying going on.

Man, that's not the way it seems to me.....every time I head over there I have people to jump with no problem.. Belly fly or freefly..
Mike

First off Z-hills is in the middle of nowhere. Its about 2 or 3 miles into town and its a real tiny town of retired people so there isn't really much to do other than skydive. I don't think there is even a hotel nearby.

2-3 miles to town from a dz isn't so bad. It's a small town, but they've got a wal mart, two or three supermarkets and the full compliment of fast fooderies. And yes, a few motels as well if you want to spend the money and stay at them.
No Mardi Gras boogie though. The big event coming up is the Easter Boogie and that is not to be missed.

No Mardi Gras Boogie? Here is the listing from their website:
28-Mar3 - 2nd Annual Mardi Gras Boogie - IPC, Speed and Eagle Freefly competitions, see Total Body Pilot's Web Page for complete details. Also 2 Way competition for junior and intermediate competitors with prizes.
Also, msg me via AIM at "jumpinduo". I haven't talked to you in a long time. We don't use the "mtnmanbdw" name anymore. Adios!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

if you think that zhills is in the middle of nowhere then I'd suggest that you never got to eloy or coolidge.. especially coolidge considering youre driving in the desert in airport area for about 10 minutes, pass a few hangers, lots of runways and vast expanes of (scary) desert before you reach the little hangar they use..
going from eloy/coolidge to zhills i felt like i was jumping in the center of a friggin town. Zhills isnt that bad.
oh yeah, split a room at one of the local hotels with 3 other people it comes to $16 each.. not bad for a warm room, hot bath and free breakfast..
My little corner of the web.

Hey, if they have a Wal-Mart, then your set. No other worries, *especially* if it's a Super Wal-Mart... Wal-Mart trips are a major outing in college: "Hey, I'm going to wally-world, need anything?" "No, not really, but can I come too?" Then before you know it, you've got 4 other people with you going to Wal-Mart for no good reason...

Yea, I remember those trips from college. That usually ended up happening around 2 am no less. :)"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

Code Adam is a lost child in the Store... I know that because one of my old friends who used to work there grabed a phone one day and announced it over the loud speakers at like 2 am.... should have seen the staff wake up and scramble.... oops. :S
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

So the point is, if you're a group of crazy skydiver/college kids in a Wal-Mart and hear Code Black...get out, they're after you....
Remember, it's fun to go to Wally world (wal-mart to all the non-south'n ppl) at 2am and ask the manager to help you find shotgun shells and ski-masks...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

There are several hotels in the town of Zhills. But it is a boring retirement town....
Lots of friends end up staying on International drive in Orlando... this way, you have 4 major DZs witing an hour or so drive to pick from if weather is iffy (City, lake Wales, Deland, Sebast.) and several other small ones.
Remster
Muff 914

We will be staying at a house (for free) a bit north of Tampa right on the Gulf for 3 or 4 nights. It is Laura's grandpa's house, but he'll be in Ohio.

So, you gonna break in the living room, dining room, kitchen counter (a personal favorite), or any of the other rooms? He probably doesn't have video security...
Is it hot in here, or am I crazy? - Charles Manson
flyhi
B|

Remember, it's fun to go to Wally world (wal-mart to all the non-south'n ppl) at 2am and ask the manager to help you find shotgun shells and ski-masks...

Nah. If you really want to get really strange looks push a cart around the store putting all sorts of stuff in it. The trick to this is strictly stick to a specific color when selecting products. When you really start getting the looks and can tell that there are actually employees following you, then ditch the cart somewhere in the clothing section and and take off. :D
Man, when you get your cart halfway full of pink things it is really hard to keep a straight face. :)"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

I never said anything about Z-hills being bad. I just said it was in the middle of nowhere, at least what I consider in the middle of nowhere. I have never been to Eloy or Coolidge and they could even be more remote. I just said it was in the town and DZ aren't close to anything, its no reflection about the dropzone. Damn....people can be so annoying

sorry ya took it that way. wasnt ment to imply that you were saying bad things 'bout zhills. the distance to town wasnt a bother to me, i was actually grateful that there was anything around.
just wanted to point out that there were other (Good) dropzones a lot farther from towns, that zhills prolly falls somewhere in the middle of 'off dz stuff to do'
sorry, didnt mean to come off like that.
~kel :)
My little corner of the web.