airdrew20012001

Poll - Do you have an RSL on yer rig?

I'd be more interested to know how many skydivers with more than say 200 jumps have (and use when appropriate) an RSL. I'm still convinced that a lot of experienced jumpers are against RSLs simply because they are associated with students and low-timers and are not *cool*. I know an experienced jumper (over 12 000 jumps) who jumps a Velocity loaded at over 2 with RSL connected (whenever appropriate). He has had to cut it away three times when he had the RSL connected and (I think) twice when it wasn't (camera). He swears by them. I read Barry's fatality site and made my decision based on what I read there. But anyway, your life, your gear, your decision - make the choice you feel is right for you and live with the consequences (or not as the case may be.... ;))
Will
"Don't die until you're dead"

I have about 380 jumps and don't have an RSL. It's not because students and new jumpers have them. I have a cypres and I feel I will never have to use it. I know there could instances where one would be needed but I try to never put myself in those positions to need one. Not only students should pull at 3,000ft.
Idiocy = Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I am jumping highly loaded ellipticals and doing camera. So, no RSL. I do have a cypres however. I just wanna make damn sure my shit is clear of the camera and I am not tubbling ass over ankles after a violent cutaway, before I use my last bullet.
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

I learned in a rigging course recently that removing RSLs that were made during the original mfg might be a no no in the future since it is altering the original equipment and has to do with the reserve system. FYI
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

I'm exactly the opposite. Anyone can search the gear forum looking for a thread I started regarding the dilemna fo me disconnecting my RSL. This was a decision I took very seriously over serveral weeks.
I'm still not sure I've made the right decision, but I think I have - as I jump my stiletto at 1.45.
I'm more then willing to re-open the debate, but I'm pretty sure Allan would shoot me, and everybody else yells "use the search button".
Disconnecting my RSL is not something I've taken lightly. It's certainly not based upon a feeling of superiority over other jumpers. I think anybody who does feel this way needs to take up bowling.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

well ... low jump #'s ... I keep mine connected for now ... but I DO know how to get that sucker off in a hurry if need be (wind picks up a lot while in the air, or something) ... and not sure if I'd actually have the sense to do it or not, but have thought thru a higher altitude mal, and considered the option of a disconnect in that situation, cause like a lot of those of you with higher #'s ... am concerned about entanglement possibilities ...
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Got my new rig without one. The way I look at it AAD and RSL are both back up devices and you shouldn't even think about the fact that they are there. You should perform your emergency procedures as if you don't have them. With an RSL you have to think about it and decide if you need to disconnect it or not. Even if it's obvious that you wouldn't need to, I don't want that thought coming into my head and slowing me down when I need to go into emergency mode.
Also, the main reason I see for having an RSL is in case you can't reach your reserve handle for some reason. But back to disconnect again, I think it's more likely to not be able to find that little RSL disconnect over my shoulder, then not being able to pull my reserve.
And finally, if I did cut away and couldn't get to my reserve, I do at least still have my AAD to help me out with that situation.
I also thought a lot about this, and those are the reasons I chose not to use one. But I'm always willing to listen to others' thoughts and change my opinion.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Unless you are under a spinning mal (or a canopy wrap due to a collision) below the AAD activation threshold altitude, or low enough that if you did cut away, you didn't reach the nessacary 78mph by the threshold altitude for the CYPRES to activate. Just hypotheticals. I get a kick out of people saying, I don't need an RSL, I got an AAD - different devices, different functions. The moral of the story - pull high, cutaway quick and avoid other canopies below 1,000 feet, and life should be (relatively) good :)BTW: How many feet does it take to go from 0 to 78 in freefall?
I'm just waiting for suits to come with built in airbags in case you smack into the ground while swooping. ;)

Right...I know they're different devices with different purposes. That note about the AAD was just a tack on to the end. But even taking that out of the equation, I don't want one based on the other reasons. Nowhere did I say, "I don't need an RSL, I got an AAD".
Technically, you don't need either, or even a reserve for that matter. But why not have a second and third reserve? There's a tradeoff to everything. In the case of AAD the tradeoff is if you dump your main to low, you could have two out. I tend to pull high, so accept that tradeoff. In the case of the RSL, you have extra emergency procedures for different situations and there's a chance for entanglement anytime it's utilized. I don't consider that an acceptable tradeoff. If someone else does, that's their prerogative, and maybe they're right. Maybe I am.
Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) there's not enough real world data to show one way or the other which choice is the best.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin