SkydiveMonkey

Bagging a new canopy

When I got my new stuff, I offhandedly asked the rigger who was packing my reserve to set up my main, too. He did it, I tipped him, and we were both happy.
flyhiB|
"To understand Mankind, you must look at its two root words; Mank and Ind."

Go to the park. Roll the parachute in the sandbox for a while. Then pack in the shade. Seriously, a little dust/dirt on the material goes a long way.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

Two suggestions:
1) Pay for a packer, at least for a while.
2) Psycho pack. Instructions on how to psycho pack are here: http://precision.aerodynamics.com/psycho/psycho_pack.htm. I psycho pack my stiletto whenever I don't have a packer handy. Actually, the psycho packs have given me the best openings so far...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

Work on containing it. Use all body parts available to hold the canopy in place. I use my knees and thighs as well as my hands and elbows when packing a new canopy. If it is a bigger size, you might need someone else to help you contain it before you put it in the bag. It gets easier after every jump.
Alex

>Any tips?
Burrito the canopy, then get a piece of heavy carpet and lay it over the entire pack job for about 10 minutes. When you take it off it will be a lot flatter and you will have a few moments where it's manageable. If you live in a dry area, use a mister to up the humidity on the canopy. (Don't actually get it wet unless you're about to jump it.)
-bill von

Ok, as I've just got my new rig (beer), I'm having major hassle trying to get the sucker into the bag. Any tips?

Try buying her a few drinks, usually works for me :)--
~Captain Cutaway
I can disassemble a rig in less than 5 seconds...

Hey MM, I was wondering what canopy you have and do you have a bridle extension? I mentioned that I was considering trying to psychopack to one rigger, wondering if he would be able to make a suitable extension for me, and he said I should need one.
Also, one for the canopy manufactures, I'm fairly certain I recall seeing psychopack instructions on a couple of your website, but I was recently told by Aerodyne that nobody recommends it anymore?
--
~Captain Cutaway

Hey mon.
We dont have bridle extensions on our rigs. We have never added anything like that to them. They are Icarus Safire's (169 = me, 149 = Laura).
Icarus recommends that you pack the Safire, FX and VX (FX/VX, I think) in the manner of psycho. It works great too!!
Website here.....http://www.icaruscanopies.com/canopies/Safire/packing.htm.
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it did after the first two, anymore I'm used to it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me too. *yawn*

Sorry for taking your record Jess.;)
--
~Captain Cutaway

Like many others - my solution to you is to psycho pack it. You'll find:
1. It packs like a breeze and will go into the bag eeeeeasy
2. you'll pack faster and make 5 more loads a day due to extra time available
3. you'll have more time for beers
4. you'll get the best and most consistant openings ever
5. you'll go home less tired
Incidentally, the bridle extension only necessary if you jump a bigger size canopy - 170 or 190. If so, go to your local climbing shop - or have your rigger put together a 6" bridle with loop both ends.
Enjoy!!!
fergs