Michele

Oh, I am soooo angry - OT rant and help needed

I had my credit card number lifted sometime between Christmas and 12/26 last year - not the card, the number. This is a credit card I use very rarely. I keep it around for emergencies, because it is a well known issuer, and a high credit limit. I had a zero balance on it.
Right after Chrismas, I used it in three places for the first time since July 7, 2001...total purchases and credit requests for $297.43. January 6th, I call the credit card company to confirm the exact amount owed, so I could get a check into the mail for the entire balance.
"Your balance is XXXX.XX", which is over the $7,500 limit. What the fuck? Didn't hear that right. Hang up, thinking I had entered a number wrong. Nope, that was correct. Nearly pass out. I pick myself up off the floor, and immediately call customer service, while checking for the card...there it is, in my wallet. I talk to the customer service person, who assures me that the card will be cancelled, that I need to make a police report, and be willing to sign an affidavit. No big deal, in a heartbeat. I call the cops, and they send someone out to take a report...
Cut to today, May 15th, 2002.... five and one half months later (109 days but who's counting), I am still without a credit card, and the fraud department has NO active record as to my claim. The records show that no resolution has been made, but the investigation was closed in February! Um, how the fuck can there be no resolution, and yet the investigation was closed....????????????? And why was I not notified that the investigation was closed?
But see, customer service has the records. Fraud hasn't been handling this. Customer "no"-service hasn't been handling this. Fraud is a "fraud". My claim has just been sitting around, screwing me up, with no-one paying any attention to this at all...
Their records show I have called 17 times (not including today), and the thought expressed from the guy in customer service was "huh. Wonder why that happened"....no shit, Sherlock...I wonder too. Big time. His question? "Michele, we have not received a payment since April. When will you be making one?" I peel myself off the ceiling; wtf is his issue? Hello? Is this thing ON????? I don't owe the damn money, I will not be making a payment, you can kiss my ass! This leads to the discovery that the records show that the charges were reversed on May 6 (the 16th call); however, my account was NOT credited with any accrued interest; late charges and over limit fees are still in force (the amount he was now referring to). My credit records are reflecting an overlimit, and late pays as well, so that is now screwed up, too. Also on May 6th, the credit card was finally cancelled (although I asked for that when I made the intital report in January!), yet no new card was issued despite the request shown in their records that I made...
Needless to say, I am NOT a happy camper. In fact, I am very very angry. Quite steamed. Fucking furious, you know? Umpteen apologies later, 109 days later, I am still fighting to get this looked at. Despite the fact that I developed a suspect for them (Daniel Mills, I will come calling!), name and address and telephone number. Despite signing 4 affidavits. Despite 17 calls (hours of my time!!!!!!!!), it took me threatening to call my lawyer (who doesn't exist) and the FTC and Securities and Exchange Commission with a formal complaint to get them to agree to credit my account with the accrued interest, late fees, etc. Took an hour today to get them to issue me a new card (not like I'm going to use it...)
AUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! I am beyond frustrated, and can think of nothing else I can do. I am not as unique as I like to think I am - I mean, if it's happened to me, it could happen to anyone.
What burns the bippy in this situation is that they finally credited my account with the charges, but NOT THE INTEREST! Nor the late fees. Nor the over-limit fees. Who else has this happened to that didn't realize they still paid out hundreds of dollars in those charges which should have automatically been credited? And the jackass asks me when I will be making that particular payment!
Now, who do I call to complain, loudly and vociferiously, as only I can do...any hints?
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

Yikes!
That is scary.
Sounds like lessons learned: notify your credit card company to call you if there is ever a single charge above $X or if you go above a certain amount of outstanding credit - spent a weekend in San Fran 2 XMas's ago and picked up an Armani, got a phone call within 20 minutes from the card company about the charge being authorized. If they ever give you grief about fraudulent charges, call you lawyer immediately (or tell them you will) - they don't care who they get thier money from, as long as they get it - so they won't move thier butts unless you force them, because they think if they wait, you will give up and just pay them. Another thing to try, in retrospect, might be to call the card in lost every 3 or 4 months - they will cancel the card (and number) and issue you a new one and transfer the balance to it - then just chop up the old one.
Also review your statements, I think you have 60 days to dispute any charges and the merchants have to provide proof that you actually did buy the product, otherwise they are out the cash.
Then again, just keep your cards max'd out, like I do :)Really am sorry to hear about the pain in the ass they are being :(

Sorry to hear about your troubles Michele, and I can't think of anything you might do that you haven't (except actually retain an attorney).
Does the credit card co. have an office in town? If so, just casually drive by and throw a big fuckin' rock through their window! I know that'd make me feel better...
G. Jones
"Most people don't know what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it."

throw a big fuckin' rock through their window! I know that'd make me feel better...

There was a segment on tv last night that profiled a Japanese restaurant that's unique feature was a back room where you go and smash plates against the back wall! The patrons put on what we use for skydiving goggles and just hurl away! They go in pissed off (at something) and come out relaxed and smiling. Kind of cool!

Perhaps you could open up something like this in L.A., Michele! I bet there'd be customers lined up around the block for this kind of therapy.
So sorry to hear about this identity theft and stress they're giving you. It really sucks!
ltdiver

Sorry you had to go through that.
I've had similar problems with insurance companies. Not fraud per se, but htem dragging their feet to make the payments they are obligated to make.
I honestly think their strategy is to get you so frustrated that you just go ahead and make the payments in order to get the problem resolved. The wear-em-down-till-they-submit tactic seems pretty popular these days.
Big corporations seem to be really good at taking your money, but incredibly bad at ponying up when it's their turn. :P
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Michele,
There is a federal law related to maximum liability in the event of credit card fraud. The maximum consumer liability is $50 (most card companies, however, have a policy of $0) in the event that the consumer reports the fraud in a timely fashion.
Since you clearly reported in a timely fashion, the maximum amount you could owe is $50, but more likely $0. You might try asking for supervisors until you get to a person who understands this.
If all else fails, check out http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/cards.htm
The Federal Trade Commission has an 800-number and web site for consumer complaints. Mentioning that you are reporting the situation to the FTC might help you with the credit card company as well.
One final strategy is to call the credit card company's corporate hq, and ask for the 'compliance' department. This is the group within the company responsible for compliance with law and regulation. They can go over the heads of the customer service people who are currently screwing you over.
Good luck,
Dave

I have had my credit card (actually a debit/credit card) number stolen twice in the past couple of years. I have caught it both times before I got into thousands of dollars.....but Thank GOD my bank gave me no hassle. In fact....they kind of got annoying with all of the phone calls to get information and stuff. Took the charges off based on affadavits that I filled out stating that the charges were not mine. Girl.....that totally sucks! I think this credit card fraud thing has gotten so out of hand that a lot of the big banks are blowing you off when it happens to you.....a little bank may be easier to cope with..... Hope it works out okay.... Iguess the credit reports are probably harder to get taken care of than the rest.... Good luck.
Lindsey
some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

Ya, that's bloody awful, Michele. Some friends of mine have had credit card theft happen to them 3 times! Each in a different manner. Was was giving their credit card number to a business over the phone! Lesson here? NEVER give your credit card numbers out over the phone or the internet. You have no idea who the person is who is taking down the info. At least at a business, you see the face and can ask the name of the person who you are doing business with!
I hope you can get it all straightened out, Michele. Life is tough enough without all that shit to dal with...
"There's nothing new under the sun"

Always always keep good notes when talking to credit card companies. I dealt with something similar where ever time I talked to them about a problem, they always knew nothing about my last call the next time I checked back on it!! Names, dates, times, what was discussed. It's frustrating..I hope you get it worked out!
'Nuthin

all those jump tickets that coulda bought. that sonafabitch!!!
hey, if you call them next time ask to speak to the boss. (if you hadnt already) most of the ppl you talk to are fools who answer phone and have no idea of the company's policies. DO NOT ask for another card. call back and cancel the account.
If I was running the company and someone was calling about our lack of XXX., but still wanted a new card, I would think well she cant be that mad.
cancel/freeze all transactions and request that they send you a copy of all of your phone calls so your "Lawyer can go over it"
you can also call a lawyer from any phone book who will usually give free advice/consultation on the first call. this is customary for most lawyers who want your business. if they give you some good advice you'll come back to them(much like drug dealers)
the important thing,although damn near impossible, is to stay calm. think about it. if you work as an answering service and someone calls yelling at you for something that you have NO connection to, you arent gonna wanna help that moron, right!
it is not the person on the other end of the phone who fukt you into this unfortunate situation. its ok to sound aggravated THEY WILL UNDERSTAND. but DO NOT blame them or even accuse them of being the lazy m.f.'s that they are. they are the only ppl who can help you,unfortunatley.
when you talk to the boss...mention that fact that you will be calling the BBB(better business beareau) if they dont fix this problem and correct your credit. it may seem stupid but after 3(i think) calls from different ppl/diff situations they will be investigated. then call you local lawyer/gov't(town hall) and ask what you can do to protect your self from credit fraud that has already happened. they should be able to give you some good info. thye wont DO much, but they can piont you in the right direction.
You will not get this situation taken care of quickly. but if you give up do you know what will happen? NOTHING. nobody at that company cares about you especially if you are still a loyal customer. file claim and dont let them go. grab ahold of thier throat and bite down hard. that is the only way to get anything done.GOOD LUCK. BLUES SKIES!!!
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

Thats OK Michele.....at least you didn't find out your car was "stolen" I did what I do every year at the first of April. I send my tags in to get renewed. Usually they have them back to me in about 2 weeks or less. Well...about 3 had gone by and I was really starting to wonder. I come home one Friday to find a letter saying that they tried to renew them but my vehicle is "Stolen" in NCIC (National Crime Information Computer) Well...that was in the summer of 2000 that the report was filed. I also called the Police department back a week later and let them know I found my truck. I talked with the officer that took the report. Well...he was a real prick and obviously never cancelled the report. Funny thing is I have been driving around for 2 years, gotten pulled over twice, and been through at least 2 road blocks since that report was filed. No mention of it.....Ahhh....our Law enforcement......Thank God they are around to take care of us......:)"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Hi, all...
Taking the info you gave to heart.....
I called them this morning, and the first three people I spoke with had no idea who or what "compliance" was...not getting angry, just being firm and deliberate, I told the unit manager to put me on hold and go get someone who did...
Three transfers later, I got the number of the vice president of customer service (well, his EA, in fact). I explained thoroughly and completely, names and all, the situation which had occurred...and she told me Mr. Wagner was unavailable, but she'd pass this on. I explained that although I had total faith that she would pass it on, I expected to hear from him within 3 hours from him, and left my numbers.
Guess what?
I did. After again going through the situation, and having him get it up on the computer, he wholeheartedly agreed that I was being screwed. "Well, yes", says me "and I am not enjoying this particular interlude". After he stopped laughing, he promised me I would be hearing from both a Fraud supervisor, as well as customer service.
Upshot is...I had everything reversed by the end of the day, including all late, overlimit and other charges (and one for $19.74 which no-one could understand what it was for, so out it went) and the investigators in LA have called twice as well. Furthermore, my interest rate was lowered by 5 points, and I have several merchandise gift certificates coming to me. Lastly, I also got a few thousand airline miles thrown in for good measure...most importantly, the VP promised to look into why all these things were not done automatically, and what the hell happened in the first place. He and I have agreed that I can follow up with him as needed, and I have his direct line.
Now, if all this comes true (still waiting to see the evidence on the credit report and the statement), then I shall be a more happy camper than before. And I still don' t think I am going to use their card unless the engine falls out of my beloved Jetta.
Thanks for the guidance and help, guys. I knew I could count on you!
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

AWESOME, Michele. now go jump, you need to celebrate!!!!!!:)(I live by the motto...If you cant impress them with intelligence, baffle 'em with bullshit) you get the same result either way:)getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

Excellent Michele! You inspire the rest of us. You have proven that if you get screwed by a company, you have to go right to the people who can make it better, rather than some poor slob who just answers the phone for a living. I'm so glad they're making it right for you... but ya hafta wonder how many other poor people won't be as agressive as you and will not find any satisfaction...
"There's nothing new under the sun"

but ya hafta wonder how many other poor people won't be as agressive as you and will not find any satisfaction...

Which is exactly why the President will be getting a letter to him detailing the entire situation, and letting him know a) I know about it and b) I am not walking away just because I have gotten satisfaction, and that there is a bigger issue to be addressed, and just what is he going to do about it??
I still say words are easy - I'll wait til everything happens as promised, and then see what I can do.
Perhaps tilting at windmills, but I am idealistic...after all, I believe I can fly, right????:)And again, thanks everyone, for the advice and support. And yes, I expect I shall be jumping on Sunday (if I can arrange the time off). (Hey, DiverDave, it's great to see you back! I miss your smiling mug at the DZ)...and Lummy, where should I use those miles again?????:)Ciels and Pinks-
MIchele
~enya~