ScottGray

Light Weight Container / Harness System

Hmmm, might be a Dolphin but don't know if you can get one right now. Might be my Reflex too. It would beat out a Dolphin if as light. The real answer might be a 1982 Northern Lite. And the answer might change with size. Hardware weight stays the same as fabric/webbing/tape/thread changes with size.

He said BEST. A Racer would never be my 'best' anything.:)

But who the hell cares about a pound or two?:S Skydiving container aren't built to be light, they're built to be comfortable and work. I don't understand the question.

Hmm, I already wrote too much for this answer. Time to go to bed.:|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm curious how much weight difference there would be between a heavy container/harness system and a light weight container harness system. Assuming they are sized for the same canopies?

I wouldn't think more than 2 pounds on any modern sport gear but I am not really sure.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

mjosparky

Why would the weight of the rig be important?

Sparky

SMUGGLERS AND DRUG TRAFFICERS THAT NEED TO WEAR THE RING FOR LONG PERIODS ;):P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

back in the days when everyone wanted to fall as slowly as possible (e.g. balloon suits), one guy I knew decided that since he'd achieved the perfect weight for him, the best thing he could do to fall slower was to lighten his rig.

He jumped the lightest canopy at the time (a Paradactyl) as both main (and reserve, I think), and, best of all, turned his risers into single risers -- i.e. all the lines onto a single piece of webbing instead of two, cutting the other webbing and hardware off.

When you get to the 1-2 lb level, just consider going to the bathroom before you jump, instead of doing stuff with your gear :D

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Just out of curiosity.. how do you set the brakes on these babies?

Surely even the VPX-007 (or whatever the smallest handkerchief there is out there at the moment) deploys with brakes set.
Padalcek - CCO, HF-17
http://www.theflyinghellfish.com
I'm not a real skydiver - but I do play one on dz.com.

riggerrob

To reduce weight, eliminate as much hardware as possible.
Remove the hard housings from your risers.
RW-7 harness rings.
Forget about and RSL.
Forget about an AAD.
Forget about hip rings or chest rings.

and get sewn leg straps.
Kritsian Moxnes has them. Chest strap buckle is the only buckle
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

padalcek

Just out of curiosity.. how do you set the brakes on these babies?

Surely even the VPX-007 (or whatever the smallest handkerchief there is out there at the moment) deploys with brakes set.

You can change the control lines so there is a brake set eye 4 inches higher, and add a guide ring at the top of the riser.

For those who are tempted to try making risers like this, there were a large number of preliminary designs that failed, some spectacularly. Some broke with just a 300-400 pound load, and on others the release force was excessive. The failures occurred during ground tests using specialized equipment not available to most riggers.

Mark

What size canopies you looking to put into it? Are you just looking at low weight? what about the profile on your back? long, short, wide, narrow, thick, thin? Like a few have said before, going with fixed leg straps and a standard harness instead of ringed to get rid of as much hardware as possible will be your biggest weight savings.

I work for Parachute Labs so my obvious answer is going to be the Racer. But I have jumped many other rigs out there and so far none have come close on weight. I worked previously for Mirage and the 2 rigs I had there are as comfortable as my Racers but with chest rings and hip rings and all the extra padding to make it comfortable, you're adding weight.

So Take a look around and see what you think of each rig, put each one on your back with similar sized canopies to what you are going to jump and feel the actual difference and make your decision from that. :)

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

You could get rid of the chest strap buckle either by making it long enough to go over your head or using line or tubular nylon and tying a bowline. Back in the eighties I heard for someone sewing a harness out of 1" tubular nylon.

Also sew the risers on and use a hook knife for cutaway.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Do you mean one riser on each side or one riser for the whole rig? Pre ram air lots of rigs only had one reserve riser on each side (I know you know this Wendy). I have a 1981 Northern Lite downstairs with only two risers, and of course virtually all chests set ups only have two.

Quiz that mark, MEL and riggerrob at least are excluded from because I pretty sure they know the answer.

What is the only ram air reserve certified to be installed on only two risers?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Another friend said that his suggestion was to just go to the bathroom before jumping :D

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

councilman24

Do you mean one riser on each side or one riser for the whole rig? Pre ram air lots of rigs only had one reserve riser on each side (I know you know this Wendy). I have a 1981 Northern Lite downstairs with only two risers, and of course virtually all chests set ups only have two.

Quiz that mark, MEL and riggerrob at least are excluded from because I pretty sure they know the answer.

What is the only ram air reserve certified to be installed on only two risers?

Gargano Hobbit ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

mark

***WAW that is sexy. Have they been jumped ?

Yes, at 2011 USPA Swoop Nationals.

MarkMark, do you have anymore details on these risers ?
who made them ? Jumped them ?
practicality of the risers ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM