gale

Fear in Freefall

Well I did my first solo from 10,000 feet today. I got really scared in freefall. I did my first solo of any kind on the weekend, it was a 5 second delay from 4,000 (it's a requirement for my solo certificate). Others seemed to think it was going to be really scarey and I did it and didn't really think so. It was my first self spotted dive too. It went really well and there were no problems.
But today I couldn't see the drop zone, so I got out when told. My exit was beautiful and so was my stability and body position in freefall. I got out and looked around a little, did a couple of turns and then looked down. I had never done this before and it scared me a lot. I just couldn't beleive how fast everything was moving, and it felt like I could watch my altimater needle spin around the dial. And my face hurt from the wind.
I pulled at the perscribed altitude. I second guessed my landing pattern and landed off because of it. Good point, my flare was really good on a no wind day.
I just started crying on the ground because I was so scared.
Has anyone had this happen? It wasn't like this on my last five dives on PFF. Am I just crazy?
Gale
Isn't life the strangest thing you've ever seen?

I think it's probably because you had never done a jump that didn't keep you busy for the entire freefall before. I didn't get scared on my first solo, but I did notice for the first time how loud it was, that I could see the ground coming up at me if I looked down, and that the altimeter did seem to spin down awfully fast if I just stared at it.
The first time I got scared in freefall was about 4 jumps ago on number 27. There were 3 of us exiting a C-182 at about 10,000 feet. Cloud tops were at about 3,000. The first two went out in a two way freefly. I gave time for seperation and then dove out. The freefall was fun, just screwing around with backloops and stuff. A little bit above 4,000 I saw the first group's canopies opening out of the corner of my eye. I glanced down and the clouds were hauling ass in my direction. It was a total "holy shit!" moment, I waved and pulled and was under canopy around 3,500. I knew in the logical part of my mind that the clouds wouldn't hurt me but I freaked out anyway.
Anyway, I won't pretend to be experienced enough to give advice about how to fix it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to all of us at one time or another.
Update: The first sentence makes sense now.
--
Brian

Hi, Gale -
First, congratulations on making it out the door from 10,000! What an accomplishment! And great job on the landing!
As to your fear.... ..... .....
As most everyone here can tell you, I am Airweenie for a reason. I remember one time, looking at the ground, and the thought flew through my head that "this shit'll kill me"...and then getting back into the dive, because that was what I had to do. No choice, right? I have not cried because of being so scared, but I have had to sit down after a landing because my legs were shaking so hard I figured I'd end up on my ass in any event. I can recall times where I was so spaced that it took a while for me to figure out how to get my lines wrapped up. I have taken myself off manifest because I have lost my breath before getting on the plane. I take a long time gearing up because my hands and legs shake, making it hard to get straps and whatnot dealt with. I have battled my car just to keep it pointed down the road, and not using all those exits lining my 84 mile drive, each one beckoning "safety here, just turn around"...yeah, Gale, I totally understand.
But some of the best advice I was ever given was don't look down, and smile like hell. Even if no-one is near to see you smile, do it. Smile like God was watching. Kinda like this
:)I have had the worst time with fear - but I also get the most incredible joy from flying in the blue playground...one not often visited by humans, a place unique to us that have the courage to push past the limits society believes we should adhere to. We, unique and intense ourselves, experience the world in a manner which is indescribable and unknown to "common" man...and what has been dreamed of for centuries. We're doing it, Gale, we are living mankind's dreams of freedom.
You are not crazy. You're new. And it's all good.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
Life is what you make it; always was, always will be.
~Grandma Moses~

I believe that the fear factor plays a major part in the enjoyment of this crazy sport!!!
I've only got 70 odd jumps and yes I do remember the first time that I looked down during freefall and yes it was pretty damn scary too!!!!
These days I try to make an effort to look down and around as much as I can...especially since the other week when the spot was really bad, we opened at normal height (3,000) and when i turned towards the DZ I knew I had no chance of making it back, not even on rear risers!!!! many people have told me to look out for the DZ when in freefall, that way if you are way off, you can dump high and make it back without having to jump barbed wire fences with mad cows staring at you for walking through their paddocks.
and i still get nervous each time i get on the plane!! it's not until i'm actually out the door that i feel better again and then the adrenaline has kicked in full time and the nerves suddenly disappear.

and i still get nervous each time i get on the plane!! it's not until i'm actually out the door that i feel better again and then the adrenaline has kicked in full time and the nerves suddenly disappear.

Yep...me too. I always say that the fear goes away as soon as I step out the door. Fear is replaced by adrenaline. I mean why do I need fear after leaving the plane ??... It's too late to be thinking about that...just relax and enjoy the dive and do what you are supposed to do and trained to do if something bad happens.
and yes... looking down is pretty scary the first couple of times. Especially when you notice the grond start to get closer....that is really freakin' scary!! Usually by that time, I am deploying, so it doesn't last long.
- Matt

Don't worry, you will get over it :)I did AFF and was fine until about jump number 9. I went from being a little aprehensive but LOVING it, to a refulas in the door and floods of tears on the ground. I was scared. Also dissapointed that I had let myself down. I wanted to go back to being a WHUFFO! OMG!
Why? It had all gone so well so far, I did not think it could possibly carry on going well. You know, must be about time something went wrong! I just had a big NO in my head.
My fantastic instructor had a chat and sorted that out. I carried on and never looked back.
Good luck and smile :)

G'day im only a 50 jump wonder myself, and thankfully i dont usually get too scared on a skydive (once im out the door) cause once Ive gone past the point of no return I figure I might as well enjoy myself and be safe. Actually my best jump so far isnt one where ive done a few backloops, good track and turns etc but all I did was fly belly to earth for the whole jump just looking around at everything instead of focusing usually on just the one area, for some reason looking at the horizon, sun clouds made me feel so relaxed, I remember looking at my alti at dump height thinking 'Fuck I dont want this to end!'
Ever since that jump ive felt so much more relaxed and confident in the air, dont really know why though maybe its because ive realised how beautiful it is up there and appreciate the fact that we are the lucky ones who get to enjoy it
Cheers
Mick

Gale - I think what you experienced is pretty common. I can still remember my first solo. I remember looking down and realizing - I mean REALLY realizing for the first time - that I was hurtling towards Earth at incredible speeds and getting scared. Getting scared made me tense up and I got an unintentional spin (luckily a very slow one) for the first time and that made me more scared and more tense which made me potato chip for the first time which made me more scared and more tense... etc. etc. I was so glad when pull time came! Someone told me afterwards that when that starts to happen to look out towards the horizon and take a big slow breath and feel your body relax as you blow all the air out and then smile! It works!
I think it's like someone else said. You had nothing else you had to focus on for the first time. When you have a set dive plan to work on or someone else in freefall with you you tend to focus on them. When you are alone and staring at the ground rushing up to meet you funny things happen to your brain. It was just a new experience for you and will get better. I think of it kind of like how I get when I go on a new huge rollercoaster. The first time I often close my eyes. The second time I open them most of the time. By the third time I open them the whole time and fully feel the experience and almost wish it was scarier!
Hang in there. It will get better.
Blue Skies,
D

Thanks to everyone for the well thought out replies. Nice to know that some other people have had this feeling. I definately think not being busy has something to do with it. My whuffo friends have asked me stuf like "what about your ears? isn't it cold? does the wind hurt?" And I'm like, "I never really noticed." Just too focussed I guess.
And as for the emotion on the ground, well, that seems to be the most appropriate time to display it. Before that it would just be dangerous!
So I'm going to look at this as a right of passage and get up there again and assume it will be better. Everytime gets better - this has been my experience in the past - this little bump in the road just surprised me I guess. Maybe I'm not crazy.
(And by that I mean, not any crazier then the rest of you people who throw yourself at the ground for fun :D)
Gale
Isn't life the strangest thing you've ever seen?

I think all of us have had a "moment of clarity" or two.... either you will get used to it or not. =-)

I remember one time around jump 40 or so, I was in freefall and suddenly thought, "What the hell am I doing? This is completely stupid and insane!!". It was like a split second of panic, then I looked around, smiled, did a flip, and let out a yell you would have heard in freefall. Remembered I was flying and why I love it. Very strange when that kind of thought pops into your head at 8,000 feet.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

>Has anyone had this happen? It wasn't like this on my last five dives on PFF. Am
> I just crazy?
No, you just had more time to think. A lot of students experience this - in most cases, their reaction is "Wow, that solo took a _long_ time." It is their first dive where they don't have to do anything, no JM prodding them to do this or that. In your case, it sounds like you just had more time to worry.
-bill von

you're experience was quite normal. during a lot of my student jumps I was told to pick a heading on the ground to make my turns with. I was so nervous and with tunnel vision I couldn't see the ground, or even my instructor, only my altimeter was in sight. I've found even now if I fixate on the ground I can see it coming up fast and get nervous. Its a whole lot more relaxing to look at someone else in freefall and of course your altimeter. just glance at the ground to see where you are in relation to the d.z. don't worry, the fear turns into mucho fun. its good to be at least a little nervous because being complacid kills.

I think all of us have had a "moment of clarity" or two....

Great thread.
I actually did my first "off student status" solo this past weekend and definately had a moment where I looked at the ground and for the first time REALLY let myself understand what I was dooing. I was like "good god kid what the hell have you gotten yourself into". Alas I landed safe and have on ever jump since then, I'm learning allot, I'm confident, and having a blast.
.:skip

I knew in the logical part of my mind that the clouds wouldn't hurt me but I freaked out anyway.

I did that last weekend for my AFF grad jump. Really scared the sh*t outta me. But everyone tells me that it fun to go through clouds cause you get an idea of how fast your going.
Oz

This reminds me of something I heard before and I used it on a whuffo at the dropzone. They asked what would happen if you hit a cloud and I told them that you can't hit clouds because it would be like hitting concrete and you would either stay up there or bounce off and fall again either way you couldn't survive the impact. They believed me and got really nervous when the person there doing the tandem was on jump run because it was cloudy!:)Blue Skies,
Nathan

The strange part of the jump was when Gale and I were in the plane with a couple of other jumpers, and the pilot opened the door around 8 grand -- over the ocean -- to let a bee out!
Gale, your exit was great, and I think you are right on track. As you do more jumps, you'll become more accustomed to spotting, and you'll become more comfortable with all that freefall time! Hang in there!!!
"There's nothing new under the sun"

hi gale,
first congrats on the first solo.. :) it just gets better from here.. trust me!! i have never wiged out in free fall but one exit and a few landings got my attention ..had to take a min.. to regroup.. some things you might want to try.. pick a skill you need to work on or something you would like do better go over it on the ground like a dirt dive for your self..focus on what you are trying to do. that my help..but don't loose track alt. or your landing area so you can open high if the spot was off a little... and most of all have fun and be safe!!! i think you will be fine .. like all other things it will get better with time!!! well good luck.. come on down to the states some time and i'll do some jumps with ya .. good luck gale!!!!
just jump!!!!
gopher