Arcticanalog

Tears on top skin. Patch it or replace the top skin panel?

Why did it tear? On opening or catch it on something? Makes a difference as to the integrity of the top skin over all. Also age of canopy may make a difference. Newer canopy then worth replacing skin if tore by snagging. Older canopy may not be worth the effort even if still airworthy.

Along with physical issues of patch as noted above. Not enough information.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

Why did it tear? On opening or catch it on something? Makes a difference as to the integrity of the top skin over all. Also age of canopy may make a difference. Newer canopy then worth replacing skin if tore by snagging. Older canopy may not be worth the effort even if still airworthy.

Along with physical issues of patch as noted above. Not enough information.

It snagged on some barbed wire. It has less than 200 jumps. I plan on keeping it for a while.

mattjw916

it might be worthwhile to have the cell replaced, it would essentially be good as new at only 200 jumps and have better resale value down the road

request a demo canopy or two to fill the gap until it gets back ;)

The cell doesn't have to be replaced. Just that top skin panel. Also have some tiny little puncture wounds on cell 2 and 3 (top skin) but i'm told a patch for those would be more detrimental for the canopy.
Already got my buddy's Sabre2 packed up =]

It seems to me that the right hand tear is just a bit more than 3" from the seam. On the other hand the fabric is still shiny. If I am right I would go for a patch covering both tears. I hope the top end of each tear is also at more than 3" from the tail.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Replace the panel and learn the lesson - canopies don't belong anywhere near barbed wire.

Use gates in fences if you land off - that's what they're there for.

If you caught it on landing, well, you're far far to close to a hazard. Don't do it again! :ph34r:

But Lee, it would be PATCHED! OMG and not KEWL.:P

You know lots of folks care about how they look, not how they fly.

To OP.

Get opinion from very experienced rigger or factory about structural issues. Then decide if a few extra rows of stitching are worth saving $200. May be some added value at resale time, if not in price in desirability.

I owe beer. First time I've typed OMG in my life.[:/]

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'd patch it...and use the money saved - for accuracy practice~ :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with a good patch - shows 'battle wear' and makes for a good story.

The canopy will be 'gone' for quite some time if you replace that area, and the skill needed to do so is a lot greater, why take the chance of someone being off an inch or two and having it fly different? :);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

I'd patch it...and use the money saved - for accuracy practice~ :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with a good patch - shows 'battle wear' and makes for a good story.

The canopy will be 'gone' for quite some time if you replace that area, and the skill needed to do so is a lot greater, why take the chance of someone being off an inch or two and having it fly different? :);)

................................................................................

Yes.
You would have to mail it back to the factory to get the top skin properly replaced.
Far quicker to ask your local rigger to merely sew on a patch.

I'd say patch it. And if you got into the barbed wire because you didn't see it until you were pretty low and decided not to make a sharp, low turn to avoid the fence - good choice. Better a rip in the canopy than a trip to the hospital.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

councilman24

But Lee, it would be PATCHED! OMG and not KEWL.:P

You know lots of folks care about how they look, not how they fly.

It's my experience that a patch significantly affects the resale value of a canopy. More than the $200 it'd cost to get the panel replaced.

That's just my experience though.

It's my experience that a patch significantly affects the resale value of a canopy. More than the $200 it'd cost to get the panel replaced.

That's just my experience though.

It really depends on who does the patch, the type patch that is applied, and also how well the patch is installed.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

masterrig

I'd use matching material and color for the patch and use matching color thread in the patch. Less likely to be noticed afterwards. ;) I'd have to see the parachute to make a decision.

Chuck

I'd go with flesh-tone and make it look like a band-aid! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***I'd use matching material and color for the patch and use matching color thread in the patch. Less likely to be noticed afterwards. ;) I'd have to see the parachute to make a decision.

Chuck

I'd go with flesh-tone and make it look like a band-aid! B|

There ya' go! Or like a (questionable) rigger I knew... use olive drab material, orange thread on a turquoise top-skin! How's that for a fashion statement?

Chuck