A12

Bad / Funny Landings

I was just curious about the landings that some of you have done...

My 2nd AFF jump last weekend had a rather interesting landing. I flared, my feet touched the ground and then I managed to land on my arse. I then proceded to drag for about 2 feet. Nothing painful, I hit softly, but it was still rather funny.

Any other interesting stories?
If you want to fly, get out of the plane!

My Homepage
My Blogger

3 come to mind immediately. anyone who knows me will understand that this is incredible, generally all my landings (up to a certain point) have humour value.

1. Delmarva. NSL meet. break off, uh oh teh pilot had forgotten to adjust jumprun to fit the different plane speed- we get hosed. landed in a soy bean field (muddy and hot), on landing my feet get tangled in bean vines and i fall over on my face. Looked like a giant refried bean.

2. Carolina SKy SPorts, Easter Symposium 2001. Demoed a cobalt canopy and well, didn't exactly flare. went across the landing area pretty damn fast screaming through a full face helmet. Stop, Drop, and Roll.

3. deland, FSL meet #6 this season. after 2 weeks of puring rain, the whole dz was pretty much a swoop pond. came in for what should have been a nice landing except the water factor... splash, slip n slide. i was soaked through my jump suit.

Look on pilotdave site of ftp.skydivingmovies.com or sometihng like that for a video called crash... thats a first person perspective of balloning and spraining an ankle... stupid cold weather....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well there was a first jump student a few weeks ago that had a memorable one.

The winds were just on the edge for bringing down students but they elected to go after the "do what you're told or you'll die routine". (No, that's not exacly what they say, but it's the jist.) The student comes down for a nice landing and then takes a step and trips and brakes his leg. The speculation is that the wind grabbed his chute and he unexpectedly hit some uneven ground. [:/]

Go figure.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

i was landing in pretty stong winds (15mph) and i was flying a manta 288 I didn't have any penatration into the wind. When i flared my feet tippy toed and then i took back off again and moved backward in the air about 2 feet and then set down and promptly fell on my ass. Leason learned don't bother flareing a 288 in strong winds. :$
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Last summer in Switzerland, one of my friends took it a bit too low and ended up landing in a freshly fertilized field.

In Switzerland, they use raw cow manure to fertilize--and they use a lot of it. He did not stand up the landing.

It's some of the gnarliest video I've ever seen.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

This past weekend, it was a bit gusty, a gust left and my canopy dropped on final. I biffed it pretty hard, its funny now, since I left two 2ft long divots that are about 2 inches deep (it was sorta wet)...B| and its funny since I didn't get hurt.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Shortly after I got my A liscence, I was still renting DZ gear and the Manta 230 was a little bit more than my light 145 lbs, the formation went a little low, we didn't have the best spot in the world and lo and behold I am flying backwards into the 75ft tall pine trees that surround our DZ. Spent over an hour hugged onto a tree about 50ft above the ground like a big blue Koala bear. Arms and legs in a death grip in this poor conifer. We had to call a professional tree climber to get me down. And yes there is video of the entire evoulution, set to the Guns and Roses song "Welcome to the Jungle"

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

i've had some classy ones, that is for sure. one of my favorites that was caught on video is this:

was doing night jumps, and i was coming up about 20 yards short of the peas (call it night vision, winds changing, skill, something like that) and my surf took me right over one of the taxi ways. i had put one of my feet down (wearing tevas) and the rubber from the sandal sounded exactly like a plane touching down! :)
i held it fine over the taxiway, but when i hit the wet grass on the other side of the taxiway i fell on my butt. the video turned out great and you can hear the screech! B|

b

Sky Knights a couple of weeks ago: Fred took a really fast downwinder into a barbwire fence. Wait! It gets funny! So everybody runs out there to see if he's ok. He was on his back, folded at the waist, feet over his head. His ass had gone under the fence all the way to his knees so he was pinned down, laying there screaming, "Get me the fuck out of here!"

He was fine, and walked away with a few cuts and a free lesson in how to read the wind sock.

Terrifying to hi-larious in 15 seconds.

A friend of mine tried to swoop over an accuracy tuffet with less than perfect results... He started the swoop before the tuffet, with his feet only inches above the ground. As the tuffet got closer, he noticed there wasn't enough lift to get him over the tuffet. He had plenty of horizontal speed though! So the guy hits the side of the tuffet feet first, sinks into it, and is propelled up when the tuffet regains its shape. He sort of front flipped to the far side of the tuffet, landed on his ass, got up and started laughing...

And the best part: we got it on video! It's definitely the funniest landing I've ever seen. I'll try to get someone to make a clip out of it so I can put it on the net somewhere.

Erno

my 2nd pff jump a couple of weekends ago, had my landing pattern all figured out, got to the right spot at the right time, and the winds died. rather than trying a flat spiral/turn to burn altitude (i was still around 300 feet), i rode it out and landed in the middle of the runway. i stood up the landing, but when i turned around to gather up the canopy, i saw the jump plane coming in on final. we noticed each other at the same time, me running like crazy to get off the runway, him going for the throttle to go around. scared the hell out of me!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

hehe, worst one I remember (and there were a few) was first test jump on Sabre 150 - saw the flag in front of the hangar blowing down the runway. was wondering why all the other fools (including some really experienced fools) were landing "downwind".

only realised at about 100ft that I was really tanking along and that the engines of the plane sitting by the flag were running - blowing it upwind. came screaming in downwind and ran out flare a couple of feet short of large wooden fence.

howls of laughter from assorted onlookers...

only one comes to mind, i was 2 or 3 dives off of student and the winds were gusting around 18 to 20 i was jumping a pd 250. at around 15 to 10 ft i flared stopped dead in my tracks and went backwards for about 15 ft hit the ground and got dragged for another 5 to 10 ft before i could stop myself. oh ya and everyone at the dz that day was a witness to my landing. the only thing that i was grateful for was no one had a camera.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

We have a huge drop zone here at Spaceland. I once was comming in for a landing, and took out a windsock. There is so much landing area, but I somehow managed to hit to sock. I guess I was going for accuracy.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

First jump in Oregon after having been in Arizona, I was the last out of the aircraft. I knew I was not going to make it back, and so began looking for an out. Corn fields......umm nooo.......highway...um nooo....trees....definaitely not....Oh looky there on the other side of those trees a field!! Yeah nice field.......nothing like landing uphill in a cow pasture......pie anyone? LMAO:ph34r:

Cut My final approach short in a tight landing area, and caught the last 10 feet of tree tops. People on the ground later said that they could hear me:
"Shit."
"Shiat"
"No.... Shit"
"OH! I'm gonna make it!"
"Aw shit! I'm not gonna make it!"
Wham, crash bang "shit."

Yeah, they said that was the sweetest play by play they'd ever heard [:/]:)

My graduation jump was bad. I flared about 15 feet too high and stalled the canopy. I fell straight down and landed on my butt breaking 3 vertebrea in my lower back. That hurt. My tailbone hurt like hell too.

Then there was the power line landing. I had to land off and I picked what I though was an acceptable landing area. I set up for final, saw my friends coming in a truck to pick me up, and I was going to land right beside a road in a ltlttle grassy area. About 25 feet off the ground I realized the place I was landing was actually power lines beside the road. I flared my canopy and tried to turn it and ended up standing on the power line. It was windy and my canopy stayed inflated. I hopped off the powerline and flared to a nice stand up landing. My friends in the truck looked at me with bug eyes and asked me how and the hell I did it and survived. I told them I had no idea but I wasn't going to try it again.

Then there was the landing at Skydive Orange. I was new to the dz and met someone who jumped there. We were going to be the last out and needed to pull a little high. We completed a 2 way sit. At about 6K his visor on his Z1 opened. He kept trying to close it but could not so we tracked away from each other and opened around 4k. We were way off from the dz. He landed off. I said to myself, "self, you can make it." The winds were approx. 25 to 30 mph and I lifted my legs and headed toward the dz. As I get closer I realized I would not be able to turn into the wind to land. If I was going to make it it would have to be a downwinder. Instaed of finding an out at the last minute I said to myself, "self...downwinder!;) I was flying through the sky like a bat out of hell downwind with 30 mph winds on a canopy loaded at 1.5. I swooped about the entire landing area and plf'd it. I got my canopy together and everyone at the hanger was looking at me. Some students there that were waiting to do tandems said "your awesome man!" The DZO and the S@TA just stared at me. I went in and put my gear down. Went and got a soda and sat down with the group. They were all staring at me and not saying anything. I said "I wanted to make it to the dz so I did a down winder." Everyone busted out laughing and said that I was lucky I did not kill myself. I agreed it was a stupid thing to do.

All of my landings have something wrong with them. Oh well, I will perfect them sooner or later!

:)

Hi, all...

While I have not been all that good at landing (sometimes I forget to go towards the DZ while in the air...LOL), I had a really scary downwinder once. I wrote it up here, and it's called "They call it Hard Pan for a Reason": http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=33021;search_string=They%20call%20it%20hard%20pan%20for%20a%20reason;#33021

It's a long 'un (well, since when are my stories short? LOL!!!) so grab a cuppa coffee or a beer (if you're so inclined) and enjoy!

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

hehe - don't get me going. I could not land my canopy properly for at least 100 jumps - now that I have my Sabre, it has definitely gotten a lot easier, but I fell on my face, my ass, me knees, my palms, just about every part of my body except my feet and miraculously never had any more damage done to myself than a few scrapes and bruises (thank goodness for jumpsuits).

Let's see, once at Pepperell I flared poorly on a windy day and fell on my butt and then got dragged about 25 feet across the landing area on my side while my husband is yelling "collapse the canopy" - DUH! If I could, don't you think I would be doing it???

I landed off on a night jump in Orange and fell on the runway - ouch, but fortunately it was far down the runway and the pilot saw me and picked me up - I also did one of those flat out face biffs once into the dirt (when your feet hit the ground and drag while you're still moving pretty fast, throwing your whole body forward and your face into the ground) next to manifest there and everyone was asking me if I was ok because I don't think they believed I was.

Despite all the spills I've had, my husband probably had the two worst of both of us - he wasn't going to make it back to the field at Pepperell after a long spot, but he tried to make it anyway - his leg smacked the railroad ties at the edge of the parking lot and he landed face first on the field - then he had a nice trip to the hospital to stitch his leg up...

Then, in Eloy, under his new Sabre 107, he gets cut off during his approach on one of his first jumps with it and is forced to land downwind - All I can say is the cloud of dust was an amazing sight...
Rhonda
PP ASEL