why do people wear closing pin jewellery?

>There's no rule, it's bullshit.

>Next thing you'll know people will say you need an AD license to wear
>tie died suits or rigs.

Hmm. Should whuffos wear them, in that case? (Or to be more specific would it bug you for a lot of whuffos to begin wearing them.)

>I mean it basically tells a skydiver you are a skydiver . . .

True, although the skydiving shirt or gear bag (when seen at an airport) is a giveaway as well.

>or it tells a non skydiver you are a skydiver . . .

They have no idea what it is, and generally don't ask.

>Seems a bit pointless really. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Of course it's pointless. People wear them for the same reason they wear any other jewelry - because everyone else is doing it and/or because they think it looks cool.

Hmm. Should whuffos wear them, in that case? (Or to be more specific would it bug you for a lot of whuffos to begin wearing them.)

A whuffo wouldn't know what it was or care about wearing one. But how about the girl who's been doing manifest for two years but doesn't jump?

She's not allowed to wear one because she's not a real skydiver or something?

I always thought the necklaces were a way to just show a love of the sport.

>Hmm. Should whuffos wear them, in that case? (Or to be more
>specific would it bug you for a lot of whuffos to begin wearing them.)

Yeah, right. I bet I would start bugging the whuffos first by asking them all the time "Hey, are you skydiver too?" at airports and such. :)
Me: -"Hey, you a jumper?"
whuffo: -"NO GODDAMNIT for the sixth time today NO!"

Erno

>A whuffo wouldn't know what it was or care about wearing one.

True on one, not true on the other. I've seen several people (non-slydivers) wearing #4 rings on some sort of thong. I'm sure they just think it looks cool.

>But how about the girl who's been doing manifest for two years but
>doesn't jump?

Oh, I don't think there should be any rules on who wears what, whether they are a whuffo, manifester or skygod.

I wear mine because I like it. Don't know why other than it looks nice (thanks Pammi) and I sometimes catch myself daydreaming about jumping, looking up at the sky, and I'm touching the pin. Also, i've always worn hemp/braided type bracelets or necklaces before I started jumping. Why not add a closing pin?

I tell people it's all kinds of things depending on who they are and my mood:
- closing pin and explain what that is when asked
- spiritual symbol (it really is in a way)
- fertility symbol (someone once commented it looked like a sperm ;))
- I don't know what it is, just thought it looked cool when I bought it

I've had more people comment on the quality/design of the braiding and beads than the pin itself (thanks again Pammi).

:SSo, i am new to the sky and i have only done a tandem jump, but i have this new found obsession with skydiving and i can't stop thinking about it. I am gonna try to do the s/l program next year when i have more $$$. SO would it be horrible if i started to wear a closing pin necklace? i think they do look really nice and i am really getting into the sport.[unsure]
Jackie

I got my pin right after I did my first skydive. Since I had to hang around because of winds for a couple days, I talked to enough people, and figured out quite a bit of the "lifestyle" before the winds calmed. Skydiving is the only thing that I think about, my obsession, and the closing pin that is around my neck reminds me at work, school, etc about how much I love it. I think I would rather have someone steal all my possessions, than to lose my pin...

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

It does identify you to other people as a skydiver - but very few people that don't jump know what it is.

I don't wear mine when I jump.

200 jump rule? Never heard of it. Most of our AFF graduates usually buy one right after or sometimes before they graduate.

I have a gold one I wear on a long necklace.

The people I work with said it looks like a sperm.

How many posts do I need to get off of newbie status?

Judy W.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Don't forget about the rig and stuff. Without that you'll be stuck on the ground wearing your pin.

When I touch mine it reminds me of my love of the sport as well.B|

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

>Hopefully I'm not the only dork that has a bunch of skydiving tshirts
>sitting around in his closet.

I think there are four phases in any skydiver's career:

1. You want skydiving T-shirts.

2. You buy a lot of skydiving T-shirts. They become your primary clothing on the weekends.

3. People start giving you free skydiving T-shirts.

4. You realize that you have to start throwing out skydiving T-shirts because you have no room for any other form of clothing.

I got three different closing pin necklaces from 3 different people and promtley lost all of them to the freefall gods.

So I had one tatoo'd on my back right where it belongs.

It my conection to the sport and my jumper family when i'm not jumping.

plus its a lot of fun to hear wuffos ask what it is. "Is that a sperm?", "Is that a spoon?" or my personal fav..."I really like your tatoo!" ...(me) "reallly do you know what it is?" (wuffo)"no but its really cool"

Mother Hen

I love my closing pin necklace. I also daydream and find myself holding on to the necklace. This is prob just me, but when I am back at home, it makes me feel good because I have something around my necvk that actually means something to me. I got mine when I graduated. I get a new one every 100 jumps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose