nws01

Stupid Yet Funny Things We Have Done Or Seen Done

The post about the rigger putting his lines on backwards and have to cutaway made me think of a couple of things I have seen done and I decided to make a new thread. Thread titled...Stupid Yet Funny Things We Have Done Or Seen Done! Please share some funny stories that you have seen, had happen to you or you heard about!

We have a student helmet at our dropzone and numerous people have jumped wearing it backwords. Not just students but experienced jumpers.:)
Ever done a pin check and accidentally pulled the pin out and the canopy falls to the ground? Seen that![:/]

Someone put their new canopy in the container backwards? Hard to land it going backwards.:S

What else can you remember?

I know a rigger that did a whole bunch of stuff to someone's rig, but decided on the safe side to jump it himself first. It was a good thing he did. He hooked the lines up backward. It flew absolutely fine, so he didn't cutaway, he landed it coming in backward--and almost stood up the landing. He definately will never live it down. Scary though if you think about it, he is my rigger too. :|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

I think you are right jtval. I guess everything that isn't just gets the boot. Perhaps that is why I dropped three classes yesterday. They don't teach skydiving in college...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Ok, a Mr. Bill + video, the Mr. Bill left first followed by the Video guy, as the video guy's canopy was sniveling he impacted the Mr. Bill, pax decided to just leave, they unwrapped then video guy is seen with line twists, and starts cranking them in further for about 30 seconds before trying the other direction. ;)

--
Hook high, flare on time

as the video guy's canopy was sniveling he impacted the Mr. Bill, pax decided to just leave, they unwrapped then video guy is seen with line twists, and starts cranking them in further for about 30 seconds before trying the other direction.

Hmmm....rig..handles...video on...brain...crap...where'd I leave my brain????:D

Let's see - vidoe of a jumper doing a hop and pop from a Cessna - with his seatbelt on :$

The belt was looped around his legstrap, and long enough that he cleared the door and the step - fortunately the guy in the old man's seat had video running - you see the jumper exit, followed closely by the belt, and then bob back into view briefly, trying to reach the step. The video then shuts off as the videographer leans forward to undo the seatbelt.

Best part? The embarassed jumper is an S&TA;)
Patkat
gotta exercise my demons!

A packer from my DZ, who was packing for me at the WFFC, needed to replace some rubber bands on his D bag. He decided to experiment and just tuck the loop of line into the loop of fabric that you usually attach the rubber bands to. (note - he only experiments on his own rig...I hope). End result...bag lock and cut away. Not sure if he ever found his main.

Oh yeah..and see my sig line :P

A four way team (videographer included) and coach take the Caravan up for a training jump. "Industrial haze" is fairly thick at this point. The green light goes on, video climbs out, tail climbs out, then the pilot yells no. everyone climbs back in. Light goes on again, vid shows all team members and coach kneeling on teh edge of the door shaking heads, as nothign can be seen below the haze, then shrugging shoulders, climbing out, exit, etc.

One landed at a ball bearings plant, another in a farm, others at home depot.

dumb idea.

A guy was in a hurry to pack his rig to make the next load. Well in doing so his closing loop had brokes so hemade a new one. What he didn't realize what that he had a step through.

He pulls and opens into line twists.... Then to make matters wores his canopie was still entangled with the step through twist. He chops and spends the next 7 hrs of the day trying to retrieve his chute from a 60 foot tree a half mile away from the DZ.....
:D

3-2-1-cya
Don't take life too serious, you will never get out alive!

Very similar to the 182 story but this jumper was the normal 182 pilot... did his 100th.. sttod up to exit, went to swing him self out on the strut and was pulled back into the plane by the belt. (Its on video).

Deploying on the gate of a casa and getting sucked out... The bungie for a canopy stunt, the landing a downplane stunt... The I can swoop the volleyball net stunt... the I can make it I can make it.... shit I can't and need to land in those trees incident. The 4 way flat pack stack I saw on video was wicked too....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

A packer from my DZ, who was packing for me at the WFFC, needed to replace some rubber bands on his D bag. He decided to experiment and just tuck the loop of line into the loop of fabric that you usually attach the ...

who the heck was that......??? Emmitt? that's too funny.

oh speaking of helmets, anyone seen the pic of Stacy's first jump?;):P:$:S

1stjump.jpg

I have seen two, one is from a friend doing a pin check at 6000fts cause he didnt checked if he reset the kill line. The other one is going to the plane without the rig, after the plane turned the engine and everybody was inside, another skydiver told him about it.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I think you are right jtval. I guess everything that isn't just gets the boot. Perhaps that is why I dropped three classes yesterday. They don't teach skydiving in college...

there you go!! take up a BIC and Instruct instead. haha!

OK heres a stupid one. I know the person and he shouldnt get too pissed.

I saw some guy in a rush to get on his next (free) jump. so rather then doing the pack job correctly and KNOWING he had a good job. he rushed and just made a mess of the fabric. stuffing it in the bag.
this guy was smart enough to break away early and pull high knowing that the chain and the links were building so he gave himself more time. to make things worse he always said he would never get complacent. "complacency kill" is one of his mottos....AND it was his second jump in the US since he got back from Korea.
All turned out ok no cutaway just an 1800ft opening! I WATCHED hadda pump the breaks to get the fabric open but all in all i was good and fully open by 3ooo ft.
free jump?! (that time it was)
My photos

My Videos

OK here's one: skydive U coach in loading area to student "can I get a pin check?", student "sure" student hands coach the shinny pin as if to say, here it is.... coach recloses rig in loading area. was pretty funny

LOL... too funny, going to have to remember that next time I'm at the local DZ... :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

ok I was packing this weekend and packed up for a friend..he had a pull out pilot (pud) and I had never done one before.. someone showed me how to do it and didnt watch..well I got it all right accept I had a twist in the bridal between the pud and the pilot shute which resulted in a total! he is ok..used his reserve and laughed about it..unfortunately I now have to fork 140 for a new javlin poptop and free bag:(:( ahh well I know now how to do it, but boy did I feel like a complete ass...just glad he is ok..
-kevin

Guy with 1,000s of jumps at my local DZ, Has been in the sport for eons... is seen running from manifest towards the plane with his rig in one hand as the Otter turns up the throttle. Makes the door and puts his seatbelt on sitting next to the door, throws the rig over his shoulder. The door, of course, is open for takeoff (it's hot outside!).

About 400-500 feet or so he undoes the seatbelt and finishes putting on his rig then sits down, then says "whew! glad there wasn't any turbulence!"

A student on a T-10 landed right on top of a barbed wire fence - standup landing. He was fine till he tried to step off - he wasn't hurt but got a big fright as it flipped him on his back - he's just lucky it didn't choose to come up between his legs! It was really funny to watch though.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

One cold ass Texas morning, 5am on may way to work, too lazy to get gas the night before. A bit of an ice storm froze my gas cap on. I decide, in a not-completly sober yet state, to "defrost" it with my lighter. There was a guy across from me that looked at me like I was the moron that I was.

I guess my wacky near-hurt-myself-badly landing last weekend qualifies.
Since it was a beutiful warm day a friend and I decided to make a fun jump in just shorts. Now I have to tell that I had this old PD190 from 1988 which I guess has at least 800 jump on it. Needless to say, all my landings with this canopy have been crash landings. However, I thought crash-landing on the grass in shorts should be no problem. Just in case I put my gloves on and sneakers.
We had a very fun jump, and i dump as normal at 3000 not far from the landing area. Now I'm thinking about where to land. The grass 10 meter before the B-line is nice and soft, so i decide to go for that. All I have to do is to HIT THE GRASS!!!
Murphy and all, I find that I'm going way further than I reckond. I take a couple of S turn, but there are other's behind med. Pull a little front risers, but realize I'm still going to 5 meters above the beer line. Ok, that's where the tarmack (concrete) starts. About the only place where I definitly don't want to crash land in shorts. After about 10 meters of pavement, it's a grass spot again. Now I have to get further, and go for a little back risers until I have to flare.
I land in the middle of the tarmack. Miracalusly manage to dive forwards two steps. Catching the ground with my hands first and manage to just get over to the grass and slide to a stop.

Everybody wathcing sees I'm OK, and starts yelling and laughing...CASE!!! I was told it was one of the best and funniest saves people had seen, and yes I bought the beer.

Too bad nobody caught it on video...

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.