Gravitymaster

Mike Mullins Murder Mystery

From the TV Guide:

Memphis: Burning Betrayal
Federal Express airline pilots Holly and Mike Mullins seemed to be flying high when they first married. But as they soon learned, marriage between pilots has its ups and downs. Bitter divorce proceedings between Holly and Mike came to a sudden end when Holly's body was found in a burned-out van. When Mike eventually went on trial for murder, all of Memphis waited breathlessly for the verdict. Find out if he got away with murder.

This is so interesting to me because I was just down in Memphis a few weeks ago (I do some contract work for FedEx). Took my rig out to jump at Mike's place. The KingAir was down, and his Cessna, so they flew up a Cessna from Atlanta and I was all ready to get on it when it ran off the end of the runway and crashed, so there was no skydiving that day! When I was there I talked to Mike, who's a real nice guy and he's got some great people working for him (as most DZ's do). But it wasn't until I got back that I heard about the investigation. I don't have a television - did anyone see it? What was the media's conclusion? Just asking because in my experince, the media is always wrong, so I like to base my opinions contrary to it.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

OK...I just got done watching about 2 minutes ago. The whole investigation was a cluster fuck from the begining. They had ONE single piece of CIRCUMSTANTIAL evidence. The fact that MM had some "flash burns" to his body. Mike had an alibi for that. The state HUNG it's case on a chick that was completely mentally unstable. The show didn't answer any questions. All it really did was show what idiots the prosecutors were. The really bad thing is this chick that testified against Mike SOOOOOOO reminds me of my ex-wife. You NEVER know what she will say next. My opinion....IF he is guilty the state DA was a complete moron in the way he put his case on. However, he could just as easily be innocent. There really wasn't shit for evidence against him. In fact, to commit the crime he would have had to fly out of Couch Freaks at night VFR back to Memphis. Land...go kill his wife and then fly back with no one noticing. It's possible I suppose but I think somewhat unlikely. We'll never know. There's only a couple people in the world that know the truth.

Give it a break people... Let the dead dog lie.... Damn... Getting PISSED first thing in the morning sucks!! Mike and his family are PERSONAL friends of mine. Insults to him will be taken as an insult to me...

Rhino STEAMING BEHIND THE COLLAR!! >:(

Give it a break people... Let the dead dog lie.... Damn... Getting PISSED first thing in the morning sucks!! Mike and his family are PERSONAL friends of mine. Insults to him will be taken as an insult to me...

It's fine if Mike's a personal friend of yours, but this was a public show and people have a right to discuss it. This of course does not include a right to slander Mike or anyone else.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I knew you would say that. :S

I put my 2cents in.. I realize it will be discussed and I have no word in that whatsoever I am simply pushing it into the realm of NO SLAMMING Mike and his family.

Don't know what else to say about it..

Rhino

Yo Rhino!

I do agree with you, let us raise ourselves above the act of slander and just try and bitch about that the fact that he was at Couch Freaks and that seems to me like a good enough alibi.

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

I put my 2cents in.. I realize it will be discussed and I have no word in that whatsoever I am simply pushing it into the realm of NO SLAMMING Mike and his family.

Really? Then what did you mean by, "Give it a break people...let the dead dog lie"? Looked to me as if you were telling everyone to stop discussing it.
It's unrealistic to expect that, given that Mike is a national director and a well-known personality in the skydiving world.

Rhino STEAMING BEHIND THE COLLAR!!

At the time that you posted that, only six people had posted anything at all; and not one of those came close to insulting Mike or his boys. (Why would you expect anyone to insult the boys, anyway? They were small children when the murder took place.) As for Mike, I don't think he's afraid of what people have to say. If he was, wouldn't he have maintained a low profile all these years?

Julie

I don't know of any dzo more concern for the up jumpers than Mike. He's ok in my book

I saw the same show. The prosector's case should have never gone to trial based on those flimsy arguments and accusations, not a lot of credible direct evidence there. IMO the grand jury should not have allowed a trial, but these days they'll rubber-stamp anything so they can go home.

This isn't really a media-problem. This one is the district attorney who thought there was an oppourtunity where there clearly was none.

I'm wondering how many people have been executed over the years based on flimsy evidence like this?

You can try and steam roll me all you want. It won't work.

Mike Mullins and his family are an ABSOLUTE BLESSING to this sport..

What did I mean by it? I think you can rationalize exactly what I meant. Don't you?

I will not discuss the case as it is dead and gone. I believe it is disrespectfull to even be talking about it. It is almost like talking behind someones back..

He wouldn't talk behind my back and I won't talk behind his. AND I will defend him as I do all of my friends. "Even though it is a public furum and I can go elsewhere if I don't like it".

It is called doing the right thing.. I am trying to do the right thing and be respectfull. Are you?

Rhino

Rhino~
Just like you people are entitled to their opinions. This case IS a matter of public record, just as is the one against Roger Nelson. It certainly is not talking behind a person's back. Obviously both have been in front of everyone for sometime.
Mike is fortunate to have a friend in you. I offer that respect is something that is earned ; information and education is how we learn. Some folks have never even heard the stories. Sometimes tis better to just remove the emotion and give them the facts. They can and will decide for themselves what is right.

Not discussing a TV show about something that happened over a decade ago, is the "right thing" to do??? WTF?
I love Mike just as much as the next guy. I jumped his airplane at least 30 times in Rantoul. Mike has been part of skydiving and boogies since the beginning of time. The fact that his wife was murdered is going to create controversy. Murders have a way of attracting attention. The situation that Mike and his wife were in at the time raises questions. When married people have problems together it creates its own sort of controversy. Alibi, or not, it is the job of investigators to try to figure out what happened and who was involved. That's part of what discourages people from murdering other people. Those investigators didn't know Mike. Even if you were there to tell them: "Mike's a really swell guy. He really takes care of us jumpers." They'd still have some questions for Mike.
Add in factors like: He's the only one with a motive, and they don't have any other suspects. No one was charged for a couple of years. He seemed to benefit from her death. Nobody else seemed to benefit. He continued to live just fine without her. The DA appeared to be a dipshit. The investigators appeared to be dipshits.
Let's bring him up on charges! Yea, he had to do it. If we put him on the stand, under oath, he'll just spill the beans! Once you stick that guys hand on a bible, it'll burn so much he'll just jump up and tell us how he did it! Yea, that'll solve this mystery!
Here's my opinion: This was a TV show. A show about an investigation with very little evidence. Nothing sound enough to point a finger at anyone. The victim and her husband were having marital problems (which EVERY marriage has problems - people work them out without killing each other every day). These problems are the only motive the DZ can find. He charges to husband because he's the ONLY suspect. Sure he's a moron to think that, even if he did do it, he'd just confess. Sure he's an idiot to think that the alibi the husband has is going to be forgotten by the jury. That's part of the legal games that are played every day. Fortunately for most of us, the majority of stupidity comes from the wrongdoers. I only hope that if I am ever a victim of circumstance - the DA has seen this show and said "What a jackass. Why did he waste the time of the court, taxpayers money, and slander this persons name?" I wouldn't want to go through what Mike went through. At best, this' an example of how good our justice system can be. We are not guilty by association, by decree of some "truthsayer" nor guilty until proven innocent.
[Begin patriotic music]
God Bless America, and Vive La Mike Mullins!

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I didn't try to "steamroll" you. I disagreed with what you said about people posting about this. Nor did I imply that Mike and his boys are not an "ABSOLUTE BLESSING" to this sport.

Yes, I know what you meant. You didn't want anyone to discuss the show. No one is asking you to discuss the case, a.f.a.i.k.; so feel free not to do so. That's your right. It's also the right of those who want to discuss it to do so. It's an unsolved murder of the wife of a well-known figure in skydiving. Why wouldn't people be interested in it? Nobody here has insinuated that Mike did it. Nobody has insulted him in any way. Nobody, including me, has been disrespectful toward him or his family. If you want to defend Mike, that's fine (and you'll have plenty of company); but wait until there's something against which he needs to be defended.

Yes, this is a public forum, which means that anyone, including Mike, is free to read what's here. This is NOT talking behind his back.

And yes, I am doing the right thing and being respectful.

Now, here's what I came away with from the show:

I had, of course, heard the story before---nothing new there. But what really struck me was what a beautiful and accomplished woman Holly Mullins was.
I'd never seen a picture of her before, nor was I aware of all that she'd accomplished in her short life.
Maybe they didn't get along at the end (as so often happens in marriages) but what a couple of remarkable people!

Julie

I can't believe he would want to screw the nannie with a wife that looked like that .

His new nanny (or so she said, lol) was camped next to me...... WOW!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1