megscott73

I need advice

I need advice! I am 29 and never finished college. I've been living on my own for 7 years. I've been taking classes for the past two years to be a Biology teacher, but it's hard to go to school & work full time. Now my parents made me an offer: move in with them, quit my full time job & get a part time job instead, and go back to school full time. I think I'll be able to save more money this way (jumps) and definitely finish school a lot faster. I'm just not sure about living with my parents again at my age. Does anyone still live at home in their late 20's?? I know this doesn't have much to do with skydiving, but you guys seem good at advice so I figured I'd ask!
=======================
"What I want is what I've not got ,but what I need is all around me"-DMB
Meghan

All I know is that I'm 22 and lived at home summer before last. It had to be one of the worst summers of my life! I love my folks, I really do, but I will never NEVER live at home again. But then again, school is very important and would be worth the sacrifice.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Meghan, I have only been on my own for about 4 1/2 years and I am in the same boat as you. I am 25 working a full time job and trying to go back to school and finish up what I wasn't mature enough to handle the first time around. The big difference is that my parents have never offered me the chance to move home.... I would have in a heart beat. But now things have progressed beyond the point fro that to happen and it looks like it will be a part ime school thing for me. It is not as bad as it seems, I am still getting to marry the girl that I have loved all my life, but I just didn't get to meet her until freshman year.
:)BTW Dave, a few years ago I definately could not have lived with my folks either, but the oplder I get the better we get along and relate to one another.
Hell, my father quit skydiving back in like '78 and he now wants to do a tandem at our HArvest Moon Boogie in October YAHOO:D

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

I say - If that's what you need to do to jump-start your life then you should do it! I moved back in with my parents for 3 years after being on my own for 2 years. I hated it at first, but then we came to an understanding - I pay them a small amount of rent each month and help around the house and they put the money I give them for rent into an account that they give me when I move out. Everything worked out great!
Do whatever will help you be happy.

A suggestion: pay some rent. Even if it's nominal, it will set a more adult tone. I'm a 47-year-old daughter; I don't live with my dad, he lives with me part time. But he still wants to be my daddy. That never changes. But if you pay rent, the chances of your being an adult to your parents will increase.
You also will have to carve out some territory. The more gracefully you can do it, the easier it'll be to live with your folks.
That said, I'd probably do it. Of course, I moved out, took a year off, and put myself through college rather than live with my folks when I was 19. But 19-year-olds aren't necessarily known for good decisions.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Bite the bullet and move in with them. You will never get a better chance than now. Not to make it sound bad, but you are only getting older and the longer you put it off the harder it gets. So if you do it now, you will be finished that much sooner.
My only advice about living with the parents is to make sure all rules and expectations are clearly stated BEFORE you make any descision. If you tolorate the rules and expectations... then go for it. When it does get bad, just remember it's not forever and there is a reason you are doing it.
Good luck!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

That's a tough call, I think it's one of thos "Grass is greener" type things... I made it through college living on my own, but now I'm kindof wishing I could be living at home again so I could spend more money on things I like doing, as opposed to rent/utilities. But then again I do remember how glad I was to get out and to be free. I guess it's something that you have to evaluate on your own, think back to how you felt living at home (not just the good things). Tough call.

--
Hook high, flare on time

I do have to admit, my parents are extremely cool. They live about 40 minutes away and I still make sure I try to visit them once a week. I enjoy their company. I don't think getting along with them will be a problem. I'm kind of worried about people thinking I'm a loser for living with my parents at my age, but I guess it doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks.
And the boat & hot tub at my parents' house isn't a bad incentive! ;-)
=======================
"What I want is what I've not got ,but what I need is all around me"-DMB
Meghan

I'm kind of worried about people thinking I'm a loser for living with my parents at my age, but I guess it doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks.
And the boat & hot tub at my parents' house isn't a bad incentive! ;-)

Eh, don't worry about what other people think. It's all about you. I'll bet a lot of the naysayers wouldn't have a boat/hottub... :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

meghan,

don't sweat it, move in! i'll be in my late 30's when i get out of the airforce and as long as i'm not married by then i'm gona move in with them for a little while so i can find a house and job....i would pay rent of course...... it is wierd though, i have my own apt here, do what i want when i want and when i go home for vacation they think i'm like 15 again, always wanting to know where i'm going, what i'm doing...but it has gotten better the last 4 years (so i'm 7 years younger than ya)..... but hell, a nice place to live and some help with school is always good...go for it

p.s. this is coming from a "youngen" though, not sure what it would be like if i was 29 and livving wih them..... i do have some 27 year old friends though that are doing the school/parents thing and they seem to do okay

What a cool opportunity! Not everyone has that option. (I for one am helping to support my parents!) But if it was me, the main criteria would be how well I got along with my parents. If you're good friends with them and can be treated as an adult in their house - go for it! I didn't live at home, but near home for a long time. I really cherish the close relationship I have with my folks. They are such cool people - and wonderful parents to boot. Give it a shot - you can always move out again. Good luck!

I'm 30 now, and would love to move back in with my parents (lived there until I was 22). The problem is, they won't let me. We have a really good relationship, but they need to spend these years together - they didn't have much time for each other when us kids lived at home.

However, when practical necessity dictates it, I'm sure they would welcome both me and my wife to their home. Either way, my advice is to establish a very mature relationship with them before you move in - that way you avoid being treated like a kid.

Good luck!

--
ZZZzzzz....

Good luck with the studying, whatever you decide, don't give up on that. There is nothing wrong with moving back in with the folks, no matter what others may think. Bottom line is you are taking steps to move further in your life, and doing what it takes to get there. Go Girl!!!

I'm studying next year, but unfortunately my folks live on the other side of the country, so I just have to bite the bullet, continue working, cut back on a few luxuries, and spend my evenings studying. It's going to be difficult, but the end result will be worth it - ie a good qualification and a shit hot salary:)

Kerry

First the comparisons. I'm 31, Like you I never finished college and have been living on my own (barring Friday nights;)) for 8 years. I have a full time job and, a few years ago, wanted to advance in the world of IT, but I couldn't financially afford to give up the job to go back to college.
My solution was to do home study courses. They were designed to be done over a period of two years each, but I managed to do each one within around six months.
This solution may take more time in getting the results your after, but you do get the flexibility to fit the studies around your life and to your needs.
Putting myself in your position, I personally wouldn't have been able to move back in with my parents I had become too independent and, although I love them very much, I would have gone nuts. But then I am a bloke and we view things differently than you ladies.
My only advice would be to do the following. It may sound daft but I've used it on more than one occasion and it works for me.
Get two pieces of paper. On the first one write "Live with parents" On the other write "Live by myself". Screw them up and put them both in a hat. Mix them around and convince yourself that whichever instruction you pull out, that is definately what your going to do. When your in this mindset, pick out a piece of paper and read it. I guarantee that you will feel one of two emotions. You will either be glad and relieved that you picked that one, or disappointed that you didn't pick the other one. These emotions tell you what your gut instinct is telling you and you should act on that instinct.
I know, I know, it sounds totally crazy, but like I said it has worked for me on several occasions.
Be sure to let us know what you decide.
PS : Damn, your cute :$
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

You can never have too much education. This is an oppurtunity that is being placed in your lap, so you can achieve your goals quicker. Go for it!
My whole family (4 of us)moved in with my parents when we decided to do a major life changed, and come back to Florida without jobs. The only bad part was that I had already been head of a household for 13 years, so my mom and I butted heads a little on who was in charge, and how to raise the kids. But, you don't have any of those issues. And, since you say you get along with your parents, more the better.

I would suggest that you have a discussion on what each party expects before you move in. For example, you may expect them to stay out of your social life, and not inquire about coming home at late hours. They might expect you to take over some of the cooking and cleaning in exchange for free room and board. All small issues, but those are the kind of things that people get upset about.

Look at it this way...if it doesn't work out, you can always move out. But, if you don't take the chance, you may regret how long it eventually takes you to get your degree.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'd have to say that if my parents offered me that deal, I would probably take them up on it in a heartbeat. And that's even with me already having a degree.

Let's see, work a temp job that I don't like and am grossly over qualified for so that I can pay student loans, rent, utilities, and try to get skydiving in, or have my parents pay for rent, utilities, and probably food, not to mention college, defer student loans and have basically all the money that I make at a part time job be disposable income (read skydiving or whatever.) No contest there. B|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

"Get two pieces of paper. On the first one write "Live with parents" On the other write "Live by myself". Screw them up and put them both in a hat. Mix them around and convince yourself that whichever instruction you pull out, that is definately what your going to do. When your in this mindset, pick out a piece of paper and read it."

Hmmm....sounds like a good idea,
try and get hold of a book called 'The Diceman', and see where this sort of behaviour could lead.......

I am also 29 and living w/ the 'rents.

I was out of the house but living in the same town for 7 years when I moved back. When I lived in an apt I Never saw them and they told me they wished they saw me more. So I moved back 2 yrs ago. They have a big house and we get along well. I have a full time job and full benefits; pay rent to the 'rents. Buy my own food. Do my own laundry. Clean my section of the house etc...

I think living at home gets the 'loser' rap because others associate 'living at home' as 'living off your parents.' I just choose to save money to buy a house instead of mortgaging myself to the hilt or paying insane amounts of money to college-town slum lords.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

GO TO SCHOOL!!!! Whatever it takes go to school. If you need to live with your parents, that's fine. Do whatever to get an education. It is the most important thing you can have. Education will open doors for you. If used properly it will brighten your horizons.
What people think of you is not important. YOU have to know your own value. Going to school is doing yourself a great favor. It gives you choices. I graduated first of my brothers: Duquesne University B'90 MBA'92, my brother Olaf: Duqesne University B'93 MIS '95 MBA'97, my youngest brother Mat: Brown University B '02
I have chosen to be a bum. After a career in business and 12 years of business travel I made the chioce to do nothing and see what happent when the money runs out.
Olaf is an independent IT consultant, bought a house, bought a nive Volvo and just (why oh, why) bought a really expensive toy car. He is enjoying life.
Mat just graduated, will take half a year off and then is going to Med School. He will be an orthopedic surgeon so he can take care of his oldest brothers potential skydiving injuries;)
The reason I gave you my family history is that we have choices - we can do whatever we want to. I might chose to go and work with a relief organization in Africa, or may serve coffee at Starbucks, or may decide I want to go back to the corporate world and become a CEO.
Get your education, whatever it takes. If moving in with your parents is the solution than do so.
Hope this helped. Enclosed, a picture of my Mom, my brothers and me at Mat's graduationB|. In other words three guys with choices. Make the right choice and give yourself a choice:)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Matgrad.jpg

I think school is a great idea. Even if you have to move in with your parents. I am 30 and attending school after 10 years of hating my job. An education is something you cant pass up and when your done it will all be worth it. Oh yeah the jumps you can buy will be good also.
Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!