skymedic

I tested my morals at work!!!

We got a call for the local drunk we will call him "joe". he calls us between 5-15 times a week takes our only ambulance in town out of service to take his butt to the hospital...I have taken "joe" to the hospital close to 40 times in the last 5 months since arriving at this particular FD. I am so sick of "joe" I literaly couldn't stand the guy. he always says he's not feeling well..blah blah blah...one time he had 26 different complains on ONE call....he knows that we will always take him..and the hospital will always feed him....let me state again...I HATE "joe"...

well sunday I get to work and am tired after driving to see Anne in St.Louis....

first call of the day bout hour and a half after we get there...we get sent to the park that joe always frequents and lives in....for the "unresponsive person"...we figured joe had to much to drink as usual...

we get there...and joe has a pulse of 20....(mind says.."shit we gotta actualy save his ass").....need less to say...by the time we got the moniter on him...blah blah blah...joe had no pulse...we tubed him, gave him good drugs, and paced him back to life....I hated joe...and then I saved his ass...just so he can call us and waste our time some more...

now all the other shifts...even the hospital that we brought him too have been giving us shit...but they all know that they would have done the same thing...funny thing is one of the Doc's in the ER patted us on the back and said we did a good job considering Joe had been there just 10 hrs before and had taken his feces and was throwing it at that very DR..........amazing how people can be....turns out joe got too cold the night before out in the rain...and 50 degree temps....hypothermia is Noooo good...

anyway...thought I'd share this very perplexing situation Iwas in.....god how life is wierd....:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

take this for what you will, but I hope I would've done the same thing...good for you.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

you should have him on as a slave...some cultures would say the rest of his life is yours. All you have to do is sober him up a bit, then teach him to pack, and you could pay him with a shot glass of beer at the end of the day. :)

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

anyway...thought I'd share this very perplexing situation Iwas in

Sorry, but I don't see it. If you think you had a choice, you are either in the wrong line of work, or you are burned out. I would hate to be in the situation where I needed a medic, and when he got there, I knew he was trying to determine whether or not to save me.

I am not saying you didn't do a good job. Congratulations. You saved a life. You cannot put a price on that. You should revel in that accomplishment.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Sorry, but I don't see it. If you think you had a choice, you are either in the wrong line of work, or you are burned out. I would hate to be in the situation where I needed a medic, and when he got there, I knew he was trying to determine whether or not to save me.

-----------------------------
I have a feeling there was no doubt whatsoever. But people who pick up others' shit (or anything else that involves serving whoever comes through the door, no matter how poorly they treat you) are allowed to be pissed off about it sometimes. And to vent.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi: Been there done that. I know you didn't mean you really had a choice. But, I too, have heard that "little voice" saying Why? But a save is a save and who knows what may happen to Joe. A friend once told me; "Never kick a bum in the butt, you never know where he will land." Ya did good

i will bet you a grand that when medic got there their was no hesitation!!!! he did his job and did it well!!! YOU should not be so hasty to judge some one in such a high stress job like that!!!! next time some one makes a bogus call you or some one you love may need them for real!!!! medic you da man!!!
just jump!!!
gopher

I have a feeling there was no doubt whatsoever.

The title of the post is, "I tested my morals at work!!!". If there was no doubt, then his morals would not have been tested. Perhaps renaming the post would be appropriate.

I understand venting and I agree he is, in this instance, fighting Darwinism. But that's what people in our line of work sign up for.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

You did the right thing when saving him sky med...that’s why you are who and what you are “a medic”. It’s ok to feel the anger towards him…but in your field of work, you CANT act upon it!!! Bottom line, he sounds like he is definitely a very sick person (homeless – alcoholic)…..you never know what he was in his past “healthy life”! He might have been a sweet and educated man with his own family. Maybe his life just went to shit and he just never recovered! “You Never Know”

I say this because I met a lot of homeless while working for the Salvation Army and some were in pretty bad shape. They were spit on, called dirty rotten pigs and no good lushes....I really felt sorry for them. After one of them passed away, I met a family member. Turned out Sarg (his street nickname) really was a Sergeant.....a Decorated War 2 Hero! Very true story
Blue Skies,

<<>>

Like I've said, it's easier to do the right thing when it benefits you. The real test is when you do the right thing when doing so may not necessarily be in your best interests.

So you should be proud of yourself for doing the right thing even though it was something you really didn't want to do.

And I think most people with a conscience do these sorts of things semi-instinctually. It's just ingrained in you. You may go "Aw, man!" but the thought of actually not doing it never really crosses your mind.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

God bless the Paramedics.

The gallows humor of emergency service workers is lost on just about everyone else. Stuff is funny to the emergency room people that just isn't funny to anyone else. ER docs and nurses, paramedics, firefighters (pancake eating weightlifter pooftas) and cops giggle at stuff that makes other people faint.

My favorite "joe" story was a "joe" that got drunk, climbed into a tree, passed out and fell onto a wrought iron fence, impaling himself through-and-through the tops of the bars. The firefighters got to cut the fence apart and take joe to General Hospital for interns to practice their surgical skills on. He recovered and was found later that year dead in a portapotty with a needle (go needle exchange!) in his arm.

It used to bug me, but a grizzled vet explained that the surgeons got to hone their skills on the joes of the world so that when I got ripped up in a knife fight, they'd know what they were doing, and could save my life.

When you find that lost kid suffering from hypothermia knocking on death's door, you'll save him, cause joe taught you how.:)

You are a GOOD MAN! You can work in my town anytime. I know of people in your profession, who would have let him die. They are the scum of the Earth. Once again you are a good man. Well, than again what am I to expect from a fellow skydiverB|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Honestly Flyhi,

there wasn't a choice...we did what we HAD to do...BUT by me saying that I was tested was the truth...I really hate "joe"....but I still did what was right even though it would have been so easy to just go through the motions....I just found out "joe" got out of ICU and is now on a step down unit...

and "our line of work" has been my home for 10 yrs now......you can say I have seen it all...but that just isn't the truth...I am burned out on bums that call every other day and take our only ambulance out of town...the rest of the town suffers due to joe....except this one time.....when joe needed us...

Marc

exactly Clay...I am a firm believer in Karma.....I dont want to even consider what would happen to me karmicly had I "just gone through the motions"....which is what some of the guys I showed up with wanted to do....except I and my partner...

Marc

You were just doing your job. Its simply professionalism. We all get patients like that and sure they can be a pain. Theres no excuse for throwing crap around at people (waiting for the smart lines on that one) but what kind of life does Joe actualy have? Yea hes a pain but hes still a person which is easy to forget when using the biomedical model of care.
I have had trauma call situations in SA where the patient is a known hijacker responsible for the deaths of many of our patients over the previous weeks. I watched those young people die because of the man who now lay in front of me bleeding to death. Did we let him die? No, we did everything we could to save his life because thats what we do. Did I want him to die? No he was our patient. Did he deserve to die? Thats Gods choice not ours.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca