PLFXpert

What do you think about to altitude?

hmmm. I always say a prayer for everyone's protection, sometimes, if no one is talking I look out the window and try to keep my eye on the pea gravel the entire time. OTherwise, I screw around with the other jumpers, act like a moron, or go over the jump in my head. oh, lets not forget--sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? ARE WE THERE YET ? simpson voice>

;)

I pray for myself and everyone on board to have a fun but safe time in which we all return to the ground happy and unharmed. I check my gear and go over the dive plan alot. Sometimes I'll just check out the scenery, listen to the songs playing through my head, and try to relax.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

You people think about stuff? All I do is mess with everyone else on the plane. I do the Muff Brother chants, songs so that the teams can work on their concentration skills. Harrass the freefliers because it is a social obligation. I never get blamed for farting because mine don't smell bad.

Talk to the tandems and calm them if they are scared. Scare them if they are acting real macho and unworried. Calm the students because they are always scared.

I was thinking about starting to bring my logbook along on the ride up so that I can keep it up to date and detailed....I'm so pumped when I get back down that I always forget to fill that thing out!
We were never feeling bored because we were never being boring.
-Zelda Fitzgerald

The ride to altitude.

Generally speaking and more often than not, I'm the very last person to enter the airplane and I'm the one controlling the door. I like to make certain that everyone around me has their seatbelts fastened for taxi and takeoff.

On the takeoff roll, I check the flaps, look out the windows, watch where the wheels leave the runway and check that my altimeter comes alive. This is all part of a standard ritual left over from my flight instructor days. I feel it's at least a little important to be aware of your surroundings and be able to tell if something is starting to go wrong even if there's not a whole lot you'd be able to do about it.

At Perris, we'll usually reopen the door at 1,000 agl, but before we do, I like to make certain that everyone near the door is ready and have taken their seatbelts off again. So far, I've seen two reserves pop on the ride to altitude and I sure as hell don't want anybody seatbelted in if pilot chutes ever get out the door.

Then, usually, I take a nap.

Well, not actually a nap, but more of a meditation about the skydive. I'll close my eyes, put on a stupid sort of grin and go over my exit and what I want to achieve on the skydive.

Somewhere before 6,000 feet I'll usually get a nudge to put the door down by whoever is sitting just to the right of me. For some reason, they're usually the first to get too cold for comfort.

At 6,000 I'll go through my camera checks. This is way earlier than most people, but it gives me a lot of time to catch stuff and fix it without having to rush.

Then I take another nap.

At 9,000 I usually begin to fidget a bit. I'll check my handles and pin flap and begin the slow methodical process of putting my camera helmet on.

I'll usually get interupted somewhere around 10,000 to do some handjive, high-fives, practice counts, slap some skin and pointing. Ok, this is going to sound kind of morbid and even a bit newbieish, but I really want everyone to have a great mind-set at this point because -- well -- it may be the last time we ever see them alive.

Once the handjive is over, I usually start looking out for where we are in relation to the DZ. This gives me a FAR better estimate on when we'll exit than any wacky-assed estimate the pilot is going to send down the line. Also, I know the jumpruns so damn well at this point, all I need is to spot one or two buildings and the entire thing, timing and spot, immediately pop into my head. If the pilot diverts or so much as goes off course by even a few degrees, I know we're going around before he even mentions it.

On jumprun, I'll start spotting for traffic and make a little mental note of how fast I think we're going in relation to the ground.

Door. All the equipment gets turned on and the lights get checked for full function. Snap off a still and listen for the clicks to make sure that's still working too.

Once the door is open, I'm watching for traffic and checking the spot. I'll usually take the spot the pilot gives me, but I always keep in my mind that it's MY call -- not his.

Green light & spot ok. Climb out as quickly as comfortably as possible. I used to rush this until I injured myself one too many times. I was litterally throwing myself out onto the camera step and I was spraining wrists and elbows and getting bruises on my knees and thighs.

If you're ever tempted to get impatient when the camera flyer is climbing out -- just remember it's quite a bit different for him and you don't have to deal with the stuff he does like little stupidly shaped handles placed too far back or little tiny slippery steps placed impossibly far back and under the airplane.

Lastly, while on the step, even though I'm not a very religious person, I usually say Shepard's Prayer -
"God, please don't let me fuck up."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Lastly, while on the step, even though I'm not a very religious person, I usually say Shepard's Prayer -
"God, please don't let me fuck up."

Ahh yes, that's our CReW prayer! Often proceeded by our safety briefing - "DON'T DIE!":ph34r:

Otherwise on the way up i like to snooze, bullshit with the pilot, administer wet willies, read magazines (yes you guessed it...cessnas!) or else just make silly faces at the guy in the back of the plane. It does suck, but the trip really isn't all that bad! B|

b

What? Pray for these looser assholes? NEVER Then again I don't pray so it's not much of a difference.

1. Gear check
2. Enjoy the ride
3. Endure the farting
4. Gear check
5. Get the fuck out of the plane
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

What do you think about to altitude?

Um, it goes something like this:

Oh shit what am I doing......o.k.,I've done this before....what? Door? You do it......alti working? o.k. Arch to get stable. Pull. Pull on time. Pull stable. Shit. Look red, grab red, look silver, pull red, grab silver, pull silver. Touch handles, BOC. Straps. O.k., please God... breathe. breathe. breathe...breathe already....where's the big circle on the ground. High five and finger twiddling. Helmet. Wipe palms on knees. Check shoelaces. Check gear again. Red, red, silver, red, silver silver. Green. Door. Look. Augh. Smile....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......whhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

HA HA HA!

Yea, BZ docked on my na-na once with a BIG smile on his face:P.

In all my early days of jumping, when I was learning to freefly, in every video he took of me I'm blowing him kisses.

I pile on the blistex when I jump b/c I'm no straight-faced skydiver in freefall. I am always blowing kiss, laughing my ass off, smiling, sticking my tongue out or whatever else.

Once, I was laughing so hard my eyes started tearing up in freefall. It was on my first jump wearing shorts and a tank top. I was laughing to hard watching the skin on my legs flap. I don't care what size you are, your skin will FLAP and it was the funniest damn thing when I looked down, in my sit, and saw it.:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

First, a prayer for the plane load on the takeoff roll.

Then, being alert for emergencies while still at a low altitude.

Next, usually doing tandems or AFF, I am occupoed with my student, getting them their money's worth.

When fun jumping, I usually make sure I have the dive down cold, then I enjoy the sights and bullshit with my mates on the plane.
Arrive Safely

John

1) other people from work are staring at their TV and thinking how boring they are. HA! and too lazy to change that!;)
2)a prayer of thanks then safety.:)
3)a kind way to let a student know that they're not alone and "smile, you'll be ok, have fun!"
4)Open the door, someone busts ass 4 out of 5 jumps at around 8,000.:S
5) I thank the pilot before I step out:)That's my routine evey jump at my DZ.
(bigger planes:just 1-4...hit the door)

Did I get a gear check? Yes. Pin check? Yes. Handle check, try to visualise really having to pull them and doing it right. Then I think about the jump itself; the exit, the jump, the winds, my landing pattern.
Okay, relax now. Enjoy the view (unless we are over the garbage dump:P)
Am I stupid? Why am I doing this again? I don't have to prove anything, I could stop, why am I spending so much money to keep doing this?
Oh yeah, because I love it too much to stop. As soon as the door opens I'll remember why.
Handle check.
Oh oh, I gotta pee. Distract my bladder by visualising the jump again.
Time to get ready! Goggles, helmet, everything zipped, handles are still there. Hoot and holler. Door! Hello wind! Spot is good, yahoo!

HEY! I'm an Old Hand now! When did that happen?:)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I usually try to get by the door. Not only for the reason that you are thinking, but mostly because I am a pilot and really like looking out and enjoying the ride (especially if the door is open).

I actually like the bumps and turbulence, even the big ones, I've been in aircraft since I was born so it's normal for me. I love the look on the face of students, tandem riders, and even some veteran jumpers when a really big bump happens, makes me laugh.

I like to talk to other people near me that I usually know, and reassure the students to have fun and do good. I will once in a while poke fun at tandem students and get them going.

I start getting happy around 11k and am known for always telling everyone within arms reach to have fun and give them skin.

But it is that first feel of rushing air when the door opens that turns me on!

BJ