airann

What Language would you learn?

definitly German, I have wanted to learn German for quite awhile. I know a bit, not much. I would love to be fluent though. Why? 95% of my maternal family is German, so mainly for heritage & history reasons. I also plan to go to Breman Germany in the future & I would love to be able to communicate easily in their native tongue.

Okay, who voted 'Canadian'?:P

I'm terrible at languages, except reading them. I wouldn't mind improving my French, or learning some Spanish, though.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Spanish, because it's practically the native language of California.

Practically? I'm pretty sure the people in Los Angeles, San Diego, etc would agree. ;)

I need to learn Spanish to visit foreign cities like Miami. (Floridian joke)

I was talking to some people from Sweden and I was amazed by the number of common words. The inflection is a little different.

Hm, ich bin wirklich sehr überrascht, dass hier offensichtlich so viele Deutsch sprechen. Warum habt ihr Euch für diese Sprache entschieden? Wegen familiärer Wurzeln in Deutschland?
Ich dachte immer, dass Deutsch lernen nicht besonders populär wäre.

Liebe Grüße,
Mike

funny you should have this pool now... i've just recently started lookng into getting a degree in russian for the airforce.... math isn't my strong suit so i thought why not..... gona start classes soon i think......

I second that nomination!!

Portuguese is an awesome, beautiful language.
Studied it for 3 wonderful years, but that was over 10 years ago and aside from the odd thought in portuguese...I don't know any of it anymore:(.

kansasskydiver...onde esta Brasil habites (if I remembered my conjugations right:S!)?

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

El Español es facil de aprender si se empeñan un poco......Es facil de practicar en los Estados Unidos.

Por mi parte me gustaria aprender arabe, para infiltrarme con los cabezas de toalla, y saber que carajo quieren hacer, sobre todo cuando mi unidad tenga que ir a Camel land.

Blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

That would be me! I tried Dutch at one point, but then my German got in the way, and it really pissed off my teacher!

I was almost crying when I saw alll those languages, and Dutch wasn't in there...:)

Nice poll...but again Holland is excluded (the place where the first dz.com record was set damnit!!!)..tsk, tsk!

But then again...I think Dutch is a pretty hard language to learn, especially for an american (in terms of pronunciation)...now everyone say the letter "G" in dutch...*listening*?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Mein Deutsch ist im Moment wirklich schlecht- also, entschuldigung.
Ich bin in Deutschland aufgewachsen, weil mein Vater in der Luftwaffe war...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

given the fact that the hispanics have surpassed the african americans as the number one minorities in america i think it benefit us all to learn a little spanish!
------------------------------------------------------------
Ok thats it. Now let me start my saying that your misconception is not at all unique. Its quite a common one but I find the need to correct it when ever I see it.
Lesson #1 HISPANIC means everything that decends from Spain basically for a person to be truly HISPANIC both his parents must be of Spanish descent making him white or at least as white as you would call the Italians the French the Portugese and the Greeks.
Lesson #2 The overwhelming majority of people running around the U.S. speaking Spanish are Mexicans. Mexicans typically (with some exceptions) at best 50% HISPANIC and the rest Aztec. If you need to learn more about this do a search on Moctezuma the last Aztec ruler.
Lesson#3 Minority means less than half. So technically everybody except women in this country is a minority. Oh you want to put men and women together. Then everybody who is not of British descent is a minority. The majority of people in this country still are of British descent, hence that so very loved WASP catagory. (White Anglosaxen Protestan). Oh wait you want to put all northern Europeans together and call them the only white people. Well now you have a majority but now the largest minority now are the Italians.
Bottomline is this topic get complicated and stupid. And this politics of victimization by minority status is nothing more than troublesome. But most of all its extremely offensive to me when you take a black person from the Domincan Republic, a Mexican Aztec, an Oriental from the Philipines, and an Inca from Peru and then tell me that because they happen to have a 'z' at the end of their last name just like I do that I am of the same race.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

from www.merriamwebster.com

Main Entry: His·pan·ic
Pronunciation: hi-'spa-nik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin hispanicus, from Hispania Iberian Peninsula, Spain
Date: circa 1889
: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the U.S.; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin

A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All