freeflydrew

Bowling for Columbine

Bowling for Columbine just came out on DVD yesterday... it's a documentary film about american's obsession with guns, and more generally, about our violent nature as a whole... It sheds light on a bunch of different things, including a little of why the rest of the world looks at "americans" the way that they do.

Highly recommended

-drew

This was beat up in another thread pretty bad.

Go ahead and trust MM - about as far you can throw him.

Don't give him any of your money.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bowling for Columbine just came out on DVD yesterday... it's a documentary film

no its a propaganda film.

wither you agree with it or not at least recognize its true nature..

Here we go again...

Many will not "recognize its true nature" if proof of a truth is founded on lies.

I haven't seen Bowling For Columbine. I didn't want to give MM money.

But, from what I've read about it, it should have been called:

"Bowling for Columbine: Based on a True Story"

with appropriate disclaimer stating that changes were made for dramatic effect.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

propaganda applies to any media that intentionally distorts or presents factual information in a biased manner with the ultimate goal of swaying the reader/viewer to a specific belief or point of veiw.

who produces it is irrelevant.

I'm still new here hope you guys don't mind me weighing in on this topic... i watched BFC when it was in theaters and decided to do some reseach on the information in MM's films since i knew that last one he made was so grossly inaccurate that he was disqualified from the oscars. onces again the saying proved true.. there are lies damn lies and statiscis.

again there were some creative edited (explained at http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html) but not nearly as much as i his last movies.

the movie itself i thought was decent because of its description of hte american media fostering a sense of fear in the culter to drive consumerism. but other than that i found it unconvinceing if you are pro-guncontrol you'll support the message if your not you'll see the slight bluring of hte truths and reject it. either way MM is a jerk for how he treated an very sick charlton heston.

I just watched it last night...

I agree totally. No matter where you stand on either side of any issue, using propaganda and sensationalism will only dilute your message. How can you really get interested or involved when you feel manipulated into certain emotions?

Most incredibly...the front of the box has a quote from a reviewer that reads, "Hilarious!"

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

propaganda applies to any media that intentionally distorts or presents factual information in a biased manner with the ultimate goal of swaying the reader/viewer to a specific belief or point of veiw.

Then by your very own definition most every thing we view and hear is propaganda.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Then by your very own definition most every thing we view and hear is propaganda.

indeed, you are correct..

the difference is in the intentional distortion, or 'spin' to use a more PC term than propaganda.

Propaganda, by definition, is government produced.

Clearly, Bowling for Columbine is not propaganda.

_Am

Websters:

The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

Nothing about government.