Atlas

Injuries... Likelyhood and how many have you had?

What is the likelyhood that a person will have an accident while skydiving? If the chute is packed correctly, and deploys correctly.

And what injuries have you had, and what caused them?

in order of appearance:
holding all other things constant: slim to none
insert the goober variable: High

broken ankle, b/c I was a goober. :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I have had two:

1) On my 13th jump I flared too high and let it up, causing my canopy to surge forward. I dropped 25ft, from what I was told and I broke my fibula and the bone fragments from that went into my knee and I had a torn meniscus (can't spell it) which I had surgury on.

2) Three months ago I hit a a bad thermal probably the tail end of a dust devil at flare time which pushed me straight down and I twisted my ankle and now my other knee looks to need surgury, but I am going to try PT first because I refuse to lose out on skydiving everyweekend.

Oh yeah and I do get lots of bruises at first because of bad landings, now that those are over with, I mostly get bruised in the plane crawling out the door and last weekend I aquired bruises on my inner thighs and hips from one hard ass slammer Sabre opening....Never ever pack a Sabre in a hurry....

What is the likelyhood that a person will have an accident while skydiving? If the chute is packed correctly, and deploys correctly.

And what injuries have you had, and what caused them?

Well.. if all went well with deployemnt... that leaves landing accidents.. I think everyone at one time or another has a little scrape from landing.. I broke my fibula once doing that landing thing.. and have gotten some nice bruises and scrapes as well.. :S
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Injured my left knee b/c I landed in some tall weeds/messed w/my depth perception.The ground was alot closer than I thought it was.Now I'm going through PT and injection therapy since I worsened the initial injury by not getting it taken care of until 10 months later.My fault and my stupidity.B|

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Technically thats an injury.

i only had 2 broken ribs,how ever they didnt stich out anywere,but i guess its this tecknical issue again:ph34r::D

had a broken leg in BASE(open fracture)

its the time under canopy thats dangerus;):P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I wonder if there's anyone who's never had any type of injury from skydiving. I've got to think that someone who jumps regularly has close to a 100% chance of some kind of injury at some point.

I've had a few bruises and cuts, but never broke any bones. Not bad for almost 23 years.

never pull low......unless you are

I haven't had any injuries requiring medical attention. I've had scrapes and broken fingers, but they don't really count! :D

bwaahaha and here girls crys about broken fingernails,and you dont count broken fingers...:D:ph34r::D
were do i meet more girls of your kind..:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Jump number 8, lifted my legs on landing and flared my fists into the ground. Broke my right wrist and still have ligament damage in the left.

Just be careful and never be stupid and you will probably be OK...

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I've never really had an injury, per se. I'll have some minor bruising on the legs or chest from opening, but that's no injury.

I had a poor fit on my tandem, which left my right hand numb for a few hours. And, I had some soreness from one day where I practiced PLFs on my jumps.

But no blood, no breaks, no scrapes. Hell, I got hurt worse twisting my ankle on the walk back from the landing area.

edited to add: only 19 times out of a plane though.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Injured my left knee b/c I landed in some tall weeds/messed w/my depth perception.The ground was alot closer than I thought it was.Now I'm going through PT and injection therapy since I worsened the initial injury by not getting it taken care of until 10 months later.My fault and my stupidity.B|

Ugh, how long are you going to be away from skydiving? Bum knees are no fun at all.

I had the sense to knock out my three upper fron teeth during a bad landing. Was much easier to fix than a broken knee would have been [:/]. Best of luck with yer recovery.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Likelyhood? Good. Here are some categories.

Exits:
Casa arm - whanging your arm on the side as you exit because you opened yours arms too soon.
Tail jam - being on the inside tail of a group and getting pushed into the tail side of an Otter.
Drag - on any exit, getting dragged across the floor. Also whangs your thigh on the edge of a tailgate if the group ahead causes a zero g.

Landings:
Too fast - stumbling and putting your arm out, wrist fractures.
Off the dz - ankle twists/fractures.
Stupidity (flying beyond ability) - breaking everything. Overt signs - saying "Hold my camera..."

Weather days:
Golf carts, 4-wheelers, RV roofs...

Stay in the sport 5 years, your chance of fracturing/breaking something is 30%. (My observation) Being careful does help.

Note - I saw all of the things listed above during the month of August. (Mostly at Rantoul)

A little over 500 jumps, and I haven't had any injuries requiring medical attention. I've had scrapes and broken fingers, but they don't really count

Broken fingers don't count???

I cut my forehead open on the mega-mockup ... before I had ever jumped!!!

Coles' notes version: WE have a Cessna fuselage atop an 8 ft high platform with a 'slide' off the strut (quite realistic except for the wind and the noise). Entering the mockup is done from what would otherwise be the rear bulkhead - sharp and jagged on a wrecked plane so DZO covered the sharp bits with that 'plastic cardboard' stuff. Over time it too became jagged and, as I RAN up the stairs, I wacked my head into the plastic (not the plane) leaving a temple-to-temple welt/paper cut-like gash in my forehead B|[:/]>:(>:(>:(.

They sent me to see "Andrea" (whoever she was, I thought at the time ... wife of DZO I now well know) and a quick cleaning and I was ready for the real thing.

My parents asked me, later that weekend, what I had done to my forehead and I replied "skydiving accident" (they had no idea I'd been) >:( B|B|B|

Bruised my ribs on a hard opening that destroyed my slider once... didn;t skip a weekend but man did those jumps hurt.

Bruised my elbow stalling a rear riser flare once...went on to do night jumps tht same evening

Bruised my brain drinkin' too much at DZ several times.... Altitude is far better than black coffee or another shot ;)

Any of those count?

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Two months ago, I also had a landing injury on jump #8. I broke my knee in a couple places, tore several ligaments and my meniscus. This goober is still on crutches. [:/]

Wow. I've had tons of small nicks and bruises and riser burns, etc. But the bigguns were:

Freefall collision - unconscious in freefall, broke 2 ribs, bruised a lung, nerve damage in right arm, almost bit tongue off (was dangling by bottom skin) and trauma to my stomach, diaphragm and intestines.

Shattered/compressed tibial plateau. Surgery with 12 weeks non-weight bearing and 2 weeks partial weight bearing. Out for almost 4 months.

Other small ones - broke thumb on a jump, have no idea how, but it was broken when I got down; landed off on a night jump (only 3 of 18 jumpers made it back) and got STUCK under a chainlink fence tearing up my leg. But it was a cool jump up until then!;)

So now I figure I've reached my quota. It's all good from here on out. (crossing fingers and toes)

Fall in dove.

Skydiving is one thing, landing is another.

I have been hurt, but only little things.
Concussion, face shredded, neck sprain, shoulder sprain, sprained ankles, wrist sprain, broken tib, ankle bone and 3 long bones of the foot, 3 scars on face from fingernails. I had a painful Exit injury I will never forget. I have a medial meniscus tear and some tiny feet scars from sharp blades of grass. The thing that hurt the worst was chipping my camera housing.

I personally blaze trails. If I look back at my own personal carnage then it would slow me down and I hate that. I do not ever remember anything stopping me from a thing because of the hazards that may occur.

~AirAnn~