AggieDave

Whats your favorite wine?

You like Pinot Noir LizzieB?

Take a drive up Bear Creek Canyon (?name... Santa Cruz Mountains) and visit David Bruce winery. The drive is worth in its self.

When I was last in CA I paid a visit and they had some 1982 vintage that was on the raged edge of 'too old' (they were clearing it out) but their current 1994-2000 stuf was AWESOME!

Clos du bios is very nice too. Also consider South African Pinotage. KWV has a nice, inexpensive bottle that goes great with lamb and any other meat with a bit of Zing to it.

mmmm... oenophiles :). Now I just but beer for the DZ :P

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Charles Shaw Merlot from Trader Joe's is great... the best $1.99 you'll ever spend.

Here's something I wrote awhile back for an impromptu limerick contest in a wine newsgroup.

A wine merchant who hailed from Nantucket
Tried to also sell clams by the bucket
He'd say "Try them with Cloudy Bay
Or maybe a viognier
But for god's sake don't 'two-buck-chuck-it'"

:)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Too tough to pick just one, so I'll try a couple:

In the 20ish dollar category:
White - Caymus 'Conundrum'
Red - Bodegas Lan 'Vina Lanciano' Rioja

In the under 10 bucks range:
White - Clos Du Bois sauvignon blanc
Red - Bonny Doon 'Big House Red' (a screwtop).

FYI while you're hacking on screwtops, I've had screwtop bottles that cost well over a hundred bucks apiece (Turley zins). :)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm not going to pick one, or even a couple.

For me it's gotta be red & "New World".

California makes kickin' Zinfandels & Merlots (hopefully Arnie won't force tha Cali vineyards to produce only Liebfraumlich & Rheinhessen).

Then there's Chile. Wonderful, wonderful Chilewith the Cenral Valley and the buying of the best of European vines just before the great European grape blight from which, let's be frank, Europe (meaning France, Spain & Italy) has never really fully recovered.

IMHO there's only one "wine" that Europe still does best: Port.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

When it comes to wine I'm actually not that picky, I enjoy a variety of wines from red to white, dry and oaky to light and fruity. I like just about most wines unless they are those reaaallllly sweet Port wines. Oh My GOD. A friend of mine brought over an expensive bottle of Port wine one night and my mouth didn't know whether to pucker or gag.

I just had this one wine that was excellent. It was from the St. James Winery in Missouri and that place was awesome. It was a semi-sweet, pretty medium bodied wine and it was really good. It left a nice warm feeling in my tummy :$.

I haven't a clue what it was called, all I know is that I'm going back there and getting another bottle or two next time I'm there. B|
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Red - Bonny Doon 'Big House Red' (a screwtop).

thats the same one i mentioned earlier.. (and am drinking now)

seems i was mistaken Bonny Doon is the winery.. Ca Del Solo Big House Red is the full name....

very tasty for 8.99