MochaSkyChick

Does Race or Religion really matter???

If you answer Yes, then why?

I'm seeing more and more post on here about race, religion etc. People making thoughtless comments, others getting offend, blah blah blah. I guess I've been trying to live my life with blinders to the race & religion of those around me because it seemed like it should matter. Feel free to call me naïve.

I personally love being able to post on DZ.com. I know in the back of my mind I'm a bit of an oddity being a skydiver that’s black & female. And in all honesty, I used to be really scared that I would be an outcast in a sport that mostly white. But you know, when it comes to this AWESOME sport, I've learned to become color blind (or at least hope I have) and kind of hope that others will. Like I said, I know I’m probably just wanting to be naïve to the fact that some people just can’t handle be around individuals that are different from their “group” But I wouldn't care if I met someone who was born purple, Jewish, and had 7 fingers on each hand. All I try to see is a SKYDIVER, someone who understands why I love this sport SO much.

So what if you find out you’re the only person of your race or religion that is in the sport? Do you realize what a unique individual that makes you???

I don't want to see any of the, me against them race/ religion crap in the skydiving world because we get it enough in the rest of the world. I don't know, maybe that's just the way it is and always will be. Whatever you (whoever you may be) do be proud of who you are. And for the folks that have a problem with the differences in other, think about it like this, “If everyone in the world were the same, how boring would that be???”

Anyhow, that was just my .02 I’m going to go before I start rambling on even more.

Let the flaming begin...

PMS #62
Zarza R[red

I think its just a few people getting over sensitive on dz.com last few days. We are all people of the sky (and even outside the dz) race/religion makes no difference to me. In fact variety is the spice of life.

I used to jump a lot in France and only knew one black skydiver (he was later killed in a downplane 2 out incident :(:() and I still haven't figured out why that there aren't more coloureds in the sport. However - it seems this isn't uncommon across the globe.

Any idea why that is?

I beleive that a good person is a good person and a DICKEAD is a dickhead.
The packaging is irrelivent.
The beauty of dickheadness is that it knows no bounds, religion, race species it doesn't descriminate. A dickhead is a dickhead is a deahead etc....
I can spot them a mile away, due to the fact at some time or other I'm one of them;), and so far I am yet to meet someone who hasn't been aflicted by the dickhead bug at some stage:D:D

So in answer to your poll question NO it doesn't matter we are all dickheads at some time :P

To anyone who would waste time and energy disputing this, be warned you will only be proving the point:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yes and no. It makes no difference whatsoever in worth, likelihood of being liked, and a shitload of other things.

But if it matters to someone, it matters. Some people really need to find themselves a smaller group within a community that's too large. They can choose lots of things, sometimes race or religion is it.

It only matters to you if you let that piss you off :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No race, sex or religion should matter. I personally think you are one of the greatest sky chicks I know and LOTS of fun to party with (is it Friday yet and do we have jello shots?). That said I can honestly say you are a oddity too, kinda like the rest of us. I mean honestly we throw ourselves from perfectly good airplanes.

See ya SOOOOOOOON!

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Nope, and neither does your poiltical persuasion, sexual preference, or country of origin.

I don't even care if you are into CREW, style, accuracy, or can't get off static lines.

If you jump, thats all that matters, everything else is background noise.

:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

So what if you find out you’re the only person of your race or religion that is in the sport? Do you realize what a unique individual that makes you???

Exactly!! SO happy that you found skydiving and didn't let anything stop you from enjoying it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Yo, Sharon, you hit the nail on the head. None of those things has anything to do with whether or not you can skydive, so I, frankly, don't give a shit. Neither your color, your heritage, nor your religion are going to garner you any favor when it comes to who I am going to invite on one of my skydives. If you have airskils and a good personality, then you are in. If you don't have the requisite experience or have a chip on your shoulder you can forget it.

There is no room for any such prejudice in this miniscule little sport. Do you still see it? Yes, and it's laughable.

Chuck

I grew up in South Africa a country of diverse religions, cultures and people. I learnt from an early age, compassion, tolerance and respect for people with a different belief system.

We are all different, there are 11 official languages in my country. Mocha, girl F*&kin A that u skydive, we need more woman in the sport, ur colour well who the hell cares and if they do they can F&*k right off!!!

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

I believe that a good person is a good person and a DICKEAD is a dickhead.
The packaging is irrelivent.

I couldn't have said it any better. No, race and religion does not matter whatsoever. No exceptions.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

So Chuck are you saying you wont jump with those that dont have the requisite skills.
I would think fortunatley some ppl do jump with them or you'd be jumping solos:P

(I'm thiunking that's not what ya mean't, but that's how it reads, to me):)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi Mocha,

The answer is that it shouldn't. Why it does, I'm not certain, but I am sure on some level it does with some unfortunate few.[:/]

Sad really, but knowing that the few is growing fewer with every passin moment lifts my spirits.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yes it does! If your not part of the skydiving race/religion you really are a second class human being :P

Maybe we should get our own contry with only skydivers as citizents. ;)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Race or religion shouldn't matter in skydiving or any other pursuit. But, differing backgrounds could matter in relationships.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

race and religion matter because they are part of who we are as individuals, and influence the way we think and act. They help mold us into who we are.

However, although people's ancestral origins and religion influence their behavior, that isn't an excuse to treat someone unequitably, or single someone out.

I don’t remember the author but the last line of his poem was something like, “cause when we turn out the lights, we’re all the same color.”

I believe skydiving really lays this metaphor our perfectly. When we step out the door of the plane, we’re al the same color.

"I have very little time for racists and assholes. Jumper or not."

Yeah I spose your right, Remi, but I have enough on my plate dealing with bigotry and assholes at work. When I'm at the DZ I try and chill and not let stuff get in the way of my all too rare and precious 'Me Time'.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Race or religion does not matter to me. I have friends of all colors (the usual ones, anyway). And I don't even ask about religion, cause I don't care. That said, I voted yes, because like it or not, there are racial and religious supremecists out there of all stripes who have no problem snuffing me (or you, or anyone else) for totally illogical reasons that happen to be related to race and/or religion. So yes, it does matter, especially if you happen to be the victim of one of these idiots. I think most regular people are mature enough to deal with these types of differences in a constructive way, but there are plenty or wackos out there.