Vallerina

Don't mess with me!

That's right! You better not try to mess with me! I'm in decent shape because I run a lot. I've been doing some of the weight training the BirdPeople recommended. If that isn't enough to fear me, well...I took my first martial arts class last night!!! (Do I owe beer for that? :ph34r:)

I took a Wing Chun class last night (which conveniently took place 1 mile away and 15 minutes after my belly dancing class ended.) I had some silly nerves, but I felt really comfortable with the class after meeting the instructor. Not only was he really funny, but he put everything that he taught into a real life perspective.

So, I got partnered up with a guy who has been doing various martial arts for 5 years. I felt really awkward when it was my turn to be the attacker, but I rocked on the defense side of things (I credit that to my older brother and his friends who picked on me a bunch.) Some of it was just common sense, but I enjoyed being able to practice numerous times of what to do if someone tries to attack me. Now I am confident that I can get away and punch someone who grabs my wrist all without spilling my beer!

I am trying out a few more classes, but I think it's safe to say that I will not take a class which teaches me "attacker" moves. Unless someone (a certain greenie which I will not name) tries to steal my beer, I don't see myself attacking anyone.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I took a Wing Chun class last night

What kind of martial art is that? (not being an ass, just have never heard of it, considering I've only done Judo when I was a kid, thats not surprising...)

(a certain greenie which I will not name)

Dont worry Val, if he or she tries to steal your beer, you can rest assure that I will protect your beer like if it was mine while you kick his/her butt.
Remster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took a Wing Chun class last night

What kind of martial art is that? (not being an ass, just have never heard of it, considering I've only done Judo when I was a kid, thats not surprising...)

It's kinda like "Wang-Chung" but no 80's hairstyles, and you dont have to do it with "Everybody....tonight"

:ph34r:

ok, someone stop me, I'm gonna be goofy today.:|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Whatever! :P... I'm going to laugh when your boyfriend has to be checked into a shelter for battered spouses the next time he calls you fat :D

Granted the last time he did that I would have done the same :P
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

That's right! You better not try to mess with me!

Be forewarned.....if you make it to Eloy, I'm gonna mess with you constantly. I'm not skeered of some little girl.:P

If you were taking a self-defense handgun course, I would rethink my position. :o

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I took my first martial arts class last night!!! (Do I owe beer for that? :ph34r:).

The answer to that is YES, ;)

Congrats on your first class, and I think you should post video of you beating the shit out of Seth!!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Wing Chun is a style of Kung Fu.
Bruce Lee started out learning Wing Chun.

Wing Chun- One of the most popular forms of Gongfu. Most important is the concept of not using force against force, which allows a weak fighter to overcome stronger opponents. Generally, a Wing Chun practitioner will seek to use his opponent's own force against him. A great deal of training is put in to this area, and is done with the cultivation of a concept called Contact Reflexes

I have taken both Tae kwon do and Brazilian Jiu jitsu

I have found Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to be the most effective and dangerous to practise. Its very easy to hurt someone in sparring or practising. It involves a lot of joint locks and choking.
Oh yea and the object in sparring is to get your opponent to tap out(give up) by either lots of pain or choking.

Does the fact that she is not only "cute" but "buff" turn anyone else on?

:$:)

I will protect your beer like if it was mine while you kick his/her butt.

If you mean "protect" as in keeping it safe and warm by leading it down your throat and into your stomach, I will have to pass on you protecting my beer. Can I still kick your butt?

It's kinda like "Wang-Chung" but no 80's hairstyles,

Darn it! I really wanted to make my bangs really tall, too!

the next time he calls you fat

He never called me fat. He just said that I was a big woman and a pig. He would NEVER call me fat! Get your story right!

I'm not skeered of some little girl.

See above statement of mine. I am a big woman, not a little girl! :P

If, however, you want to study something that doesn't teach "attacker" moves, see if there's an Aikido teacher near you.

I think I'll try this one out a few more times. I don't know....I was just a little weirded out when I had to be the attacker....I guess since I've never done that before, it'll take some getting used to.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

That's right! You better not try to mess with me! I'm in decent shape because I run a lot.

What? You are hotter than before? So I have no hope at all now, huh? :)
I definitely think that you should learn the aggressive moves. Here is why - no one ever picks on someone who will kick their ass. Simple, right?

If you have the confidence to deliver some damage, it will come out in your body language, posture, and voice. People will not mess with you. Because of this, you will stop trouble before it starts. That is better than ending it once it does.

I have got out of a few fights by making it clear that they would suffer even if they won. A hint of lost teeth, or a permanent limp, makes them reconsider.

I taught womens self-defense classes for a while. The hardest thing to teach women was continued aggression. Five attacks in a row, not one attack then stop and evaluate.

If, however, you want to study something that doesn't teach "attacker" moves, see if there's an Aikido teacher near you.

I think I'll try this one out a few more times. I don't know....I was just a little weirded out when I had to be the attacker....I guess since I've never done that before, it'll take some getting used to.

even in akidio you must 'play' the attacker, its the only way to properly train and to train well you must do it with strong intent...if you dont put energy into the attack you are not giving your partner that energy to channel away and not helping either of you when/if the time really comes...

it will help if you recognize that inorder to learn the techniques that will really help in the real world you must mimic (without anger or malice) the situations and circumstances they might find them selves in.. start slowly but build to 'speed and power'

you'll be very suprised how easy it is to control and redirect someone when they give you their own energy to do it with, but you must commit to the attack as well as the defense, holding back for fear of being the 'aggressor' will only hamper everyones training...

I am trying out a few more classes, but I think it's safe to say that I will not take a class which teaches me "attacker" moves. Unless someone (a certain greenie which I will not name) tries to steal my beer, I don't see myself attacking anyone.
Nothing wrong with learning "attacker" moves. Defending and attacking are simply two sides of the same coin. A block used to defend yourself can also be used to strike someone. Also, by learning attacker moves you can strike someone who is going to attack you but has not yet began to do so. Also, what if a friend is being jumped by a mugger? Will you wait until you are attacked in turn? Learn to both attack and defend. learning to attack means you better understand how to defend against attackers.
Oh, and don't be confused about the "gentle"nature of Akido. The classes can be quite tough physically.

Does the fact that she is not only "cute" but "buff" turn anyone else on?

nope... the fact she dubbed me in a "dominance" role a couple years back has me....lol...... she is what made the mardi gas boogie 2002 for me.... well and the 5 kegs of beer and bottle of jim beam....lol.......