Shawndiver

Dating And the DZ

OK,
So after reading thru the post regarding the number of girls vs. guys who jump, it got me wondering, how many dating skydiving couples are there out there? I'm talking two active skydivers who meet thru skydiving, at their DZ. Does this go on a lot now, or is it considered something along the lines of dating at work? (Not such a good idea). Casual hookups don't apply!

Shawn

My first skydiving girlfriend was the girl I started going out with. She and I had been going out for 5 years by the time we broke up. She doesn't skydive anymore (not due to us). I met my second skydiving girlfriend at the dz and we went out for 2 years and have just recently called it quits...

hoping there is an infusion of new blood at the dz so I can have a girlfriend this summer;)

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

I know several couples who met at the dz and ended up getting married. I know of other dz relationships that crashed and burned and left bad feelings all around.

Since I don't date whuffos anymore it follows that I'm most likely to meet a guy I'd be interested in at the dz. Or here in the forums... I know more than a few couples who met on dz.com.

There are 4 or 5 couples at my dz that are both skydivers, and have been together for a good while.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I know several couples who met at the dz and ended up getting married...

..and some who even had kids out of it.

I know of other dz relationships that crashed and burned and left bad feelings all around.

I've had a couple that ended, but no bad feelings. I've certainly seen it.

Getting back to the original point, "number of girls vs. guys who jump", all the guys say there aren't enough girls. I found out from my girl that the girls think there aren't enough eligible guys!

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I believe it does happen a lot... but I met chopchop when I didn't even know too much about skydiving... So I believe that their are no rules. I believe that if you become involved with a skydiver and you have a true connection, it doesn't really matter. I have not had it confirmed as of yet, but I don't believe chopchop and I would love eachother any less if the attraction for skydiving was not mutual. ;)
Only 'time' I believe will tell us in these situations.. Either they love you, or they love their sport... It is up to to them. ;)

I met my husband on the drop zone. He was flying the plane. Jumps out of them too.

We will have been married 4 years on Dec 27th.

I've also been on the other side of this coin;)

Doesn't matter what they do, it matters how they make you feel...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I met my girlfriend through her skydiving roommate, now my girlfriend is jumping and things are looking good for the two of us. So, yup, it happens. I've dated skychicks before as well, but this one is by far the best (read: the sexiest, the best looking, the best peronality...well, I would continue, but I'm sure everyone has stopped reading my post by now).B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nuttin wrong with dating and the DZ...I met a crazy dude on here and when I met him in person...he exceeded my expectations! He was even more attractive than I thought he'd be and more incredible as a person! nuttin wrong with all that!

..and some who even had kids out of it.

At least one incredibly cute kid anyway. :)

I found out from my girl that the girls think there aren't enough eligible guys!

She's right. Just cuz a guy is single, straight and a skydiver doesn't mean he's worth our time. ;)

I think the key is a connection between people first. If both people skydive - that's better. I'm dating a skydiver, have been for a while now, and it's very good - but for reasons far, far beyond just the skydiving.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

This is just my .02 as it applies to my certain situation.

I try very hard to keep the two worlds seperated. I am in a serious relationship with an absolutly amazing girl - I try very hard to make sure that no matter what happens, I always have something to fall back on. Jumping is my thing that I do for just a few hours on the weekends - I dont' think more than 2 people at the DZ know I even have a girlfriend, and I've never given my girlfriend directions to the dz. B|

Blues,
=========Shaun ==========

I dont know about that Kris...

Yes, some jumpers have marginal personalities (thats me being polite:ph34r:) but there are a lot of fairly grouded people in the sport. I guess it depends on the DZ. My old DZ in Edmonton was almost an all couple DZ! Some places have a real Party on Saturday night attitude, others are more familly like (not kids running around family type, though that happens, but rather more a general way about them)
Remster

When a SkyChica breaks up with you......You haven't lost your girlfriend.....just your turn. ;):D

Dude I couldn't have said it better myself!!

Ya know, PhreeZone had a pretty strong rule about DZ Dating, but he seems to be breaking the shit out of it right now.....;)

I believe it went something like "Don't date girls from your home dz, no matter what, but other dz's are just fine!!"

Any thoughts there, rule breaker??? B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

A skydiver guy I was dating actually brought me to the DZ. We did eventually break up, but today we are BEST FRIENDS and I now skydive too. In fact, this weekend he is jumping my first pack job. . .

Okay, so I am freaked out now about it but hey, he WAS watching me pretty damn closely. . .

Oops, I strayed. . .I have met some pretty grounded guys and some pretty flaky guys at the DZ. I think it is very individual and I wouldn't rule out a whuffo or a skydiver based on what they do. . .its all about chemistry baby. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I try very hard to make sure that no matter what happens, I always have something to fall back on.

It sounds like your screenname applies to real life! :D I don't think I ever put that much thought into a "just in case" scenario.

Dating at the dz is like dating anywhere else (work, in your social group, any other hobby.) In any of those situations, weird things can happen if you break up. If both people in the relationship try to be mature about the break up, then it's not a big deal in any situation. Also, just like anywhere else, amazing relationships have formed between skydiving couples.

When people concentrate on what they must/must not have a person "be," they can miss out on meeting incredible human beings.

As for myself, I technically met him at a dz. We follow Phreezone's "not at the same dz" rule, but not on purpose. If he was a jumper or not, it really wouldn't matter to me. I'm with him for the person that he is, not because he jumps from planes (actually, I'm with him because he can chill my beers for me.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning