Vallerina

High school stuff that doesn't matter anymore

I only graduated 2 years ago, but I see people I graduated with all the time. Most of the friends I had have gone off to college and trying to get an education. I saw the Class President the other day working at a restaurant by where I live. She had been going to the same college I was going to but she dropped out and got into some really bad stuff. I wouldn't think too much about that but she was a good girl in high school and you wouldn't think that she would get into too much heavy stuff. She was also pregnant but so were almost the entire population of the girls that graduated from my hs. (except me) It's just so weird to see how the good ones turn bad and the bad ones end up leading a good life. Life can be really odd that way.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

Outcasts unite!

-R

I was the leader of a small group of anarchists:D

I don't know if I had a status in high school... I rarely attended.:P I can't really vote. I don't think I was an outcast.. maybe by choice. But, I definitely wasn't going to be homecoming queen at any point.

Angela.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Draw a circle of about 100 miles from your high school. those who still live in the circle are probably still the same person they were in highschool including still having the same friends and such. Thos outside the circle have probably done something a bit more creative in their life than take over the parents business.

I wasn't exactly an outcast, I was just weird. I'm still weird, as anyone from my DZ will tell you (right Goose and SkyDekker?):SB| I've accepted it and I don't care.

In highschool I mostly skipped class and hung out with different people in the caf. It was fun, but a lot of those people didn't really like me much, and a lot of them I just couldn't bear to be around because of who they were. It's much better for me to be in my college where there's a small company of freaks I hang out with, and the DZ where everyone are accepting and look out and care about you.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I was just the average Northern Ca. "stoner", didnt do to much time in school unless it was, uh, "offloading" some of that Humboldt County uh, "stuff". Didnt even graduate. Spent the next 20+ years in construction. Finally gettin my shit together, got out of the trades, cleaned my act up, goin to school and enjoying it.
The people I hung out with, no idea what they are doing...

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I was "little miss involved in everything", so I was friends with just about everyone, but certainly not the homecoming queen. I cant say I fit in to any group in particular, but had a few close friends and a bunch of 'acquaintance-level' friends.

Sounds a lot like me (just not the "miss" part ;)).

I was involved in just about everything, lettering in sports and doing just about all the other extra-curriculars. While never the leader of the pack, I was well liked and well thought of - at least I'd like to think so - and I had a few close friends and many acquaintances. I also did very well academically, graduating 2nd in my class, but I think think my grades generated as much resentment as they did respect.

Of course, I had fun in high school. And I don't mean to be boastful when I say this, but the fact is, I worked hard, both in high school and in college, and that has paid off. I've been blessed with a great career and a fulfilling and exciting life. When I went to my 10 year reunion, it was kind of funny. There were a few really rich, snooty people in my class who did nothing but goof off and they didn't amount to much. One b--ch in particular, who $hit on everyone in school because she thought she was better than everyone, didn't make it to the reunion. I guess she was just not up to telling everyone that she was divorced with two kids and nothing to show for her life.

So it looks like everyone got what was coming to them.

What was that thing we learned in kindergarten? Some sort of golden rule?

B|

FunBobby

Draw a circle of about 100 miles from your high school. those who still live in the circle are probably still the same person they were in highschool including still having the same friends and such. Thos outside the circle have probably done something a bit more creative in their life

I gotta tell ya, lifelong friends are a truly incredible thing. I have friends who I have known for twenty five years and, until recently, we lived within that 100 mile circle. These are the people I would die for, some of their children are my godchildren, and they are some pretty creative folks. Small town America rocks. I wish everyone could experience it.

"A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature" --RWE

My high school reunion experience? Revenge of the Nerds. Yes, I was technically a Nerd, though I lettered in three sports. I wasn't the popular guy, sinc eI was a student and not a partier, though I got along well with the popular ones. I just never hung out with them, preferring the company of nerds.

But, ironically, the popular women from high school all looked fantastic and were succesful and educated. Funnily enough, I was good friends with a couple of them in high school (one was sad I was there with a girlfriend).

Yeah, the popular guys had bags for bellies and weren't the most successful chaps. The nerd dudes looked great and were, for th emost part, doing quite well.

I loved it!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The valedictorian of my class was arrested for trying to sneak on an airplane for Thanksgiving 2001 'cause he lost his plane ticket. Eventually, he got himself kicked out of Harvard and lives at home and isn't doing much at the moment...

As for me, I was just average...Played soccer and track and was in all the honors classes. I only talk to a few people from high school now...however, it is quite funny to run into random people from high school now...unfortunately some people never change I guess...

alyson

team swooo
swooo #2

I've noticed that having kids has been pointed out as something very negative to have happened to your female classmates. Am I misinterpreting that? Because if not then that's just sad...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had status in High School--I was the 'pregnant girl'. I still hung in there, thought I cleared a path in the hallways (like I was the only non-virgin)..I just got caught.

So what happened? I raised my kid, got married and had some more while my classmates were out getting in trouble ROBBING the Outback. Some of the best and brightest are now so sad I don't even go back to my hometown unless there's a wedding or funeral. I saw the class 'romeo' riding a push-bike and he tried to panhandle me while I was with my children. Sad.

One thing about having children at an early age is that you get to have fun before you're too old. I'll never retire, I'm too busy having fun doing the incredible. I got to go to a GREAT University, I get to travel, I get to jump off and out of stuff. I get to hang out with 82nd, Spec Ops & GB's and lay in the dirt with planes going over my head while I focus my lenses. I no longer clear a path cause people WANT me to focus on them--they know what I'm doing. My kids are good kids and you'd be hard-pressed to show a double feature on MY ass!

Not bad for the 'pregnant girl'. Does it matter anymore, the high school stuff? I don't think so. Its not the car you drive but where you aim it. Blue skies....

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

My friends and I like to think about what our 10 year reunion will be like. We try to guess who's going to be doing what, and it's surprising how accurate some of our predictions were right out of high school over 5 years ago.

My group of friends wasn't the "popular" group, but we weren't outcasts either. So, when many people talk about their high school days, I usually don't relate to neither the "Working on the Homecoming float was so much fun," nor the "I only had one friend in high school and that was my history teacher" stories.

My guess is that many skydivers don't meet the level of conformity to be "popular," but I'm curious to know how many outcasts there are!

Depends on your perspective.

I graduated from high school in Korea.

In 2000, I had the choice of going to a reunion in Hawaii for Seoul American High School, or go to the WFFC...

Guess which one I chose.

I could have done both, but...which one was more important to me?

I try (but often fail) to live up to an aviator's maxim - the amount of runway behind you is the most useless measurement you can take - it's how much is in front of you that matters.

Regards,

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Heh, definitely an Outcast. Tiny, skinny scrawny guy with a quick mouth and too much pride to stop the words from exiting his mouth. My teenage years consisted of almost daily violence at school or wherever the Big Dudes Who Wanted To Set Me Straight would meet me. I had a problem of doing and saying exactly what I wanted without much thought of the consequences so I guess I'm not totally innocent.

So I bonded with other "freaks" and had a great time socially, at least when we weren't either fighting or running from the more numerous Big Dudes. They cannot run very well, btw, and they really hate when you laugh at them as you extend your lead. Haven't changed much except I got better impulse control and am more introverted, but that's aging, I gather.

HS is in the past and I don't dwell on it or the persons involved back then. It just doesn't matter what they are or what they do or what they think about what I'm doing, so I see no point in ever going to a reunion.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Even though I played most sports and had a wide network of all types of friends. I considerd myself a nerd. I started every year n Football and Basketball and was in the Band. I was in all the gifted classes but ditched all the time. I played in a Mormon basketball league (my best friend was Mormon). You only has to show up to Church once a month to be in the league, so I only went once a month. It was usually at night and I was usually buzzed form drinking beers before I went. I had girlfriends but never for very long. A lot of kids thought that I was stuck up. I found that out years after being out of school. I wasn't stuck up I was fairly shy. It just took me a while to get to know someone and open up to them.
So it seems I was a little of everything. Popular and an outcast at the same time. I only talk to a few of them from time to time now anyways. It is true in my case that the real popular kids ended up much worse off then then nerdy kids did. I grew up in a pretty rough area and most of the cool guys ended up in jail or dead. The cool girls all got knocked up by the cool guys and are either widows with small kids or are waiting for daddy to get out of jail. It is kind of sad actually!:(
Dom

I don't know what I was in high school. I was very unhappy. I played sports, lettering in Football and Baseball, was pretty good at both, in baseball, good enough that I played in college as well. I had a nice car, a fast one, all the ingredence that should have made me one of the most popular in the school, but I was the guy that everybody picked on, made fun of, was the butt of every joke. Treatment I received was pure cruality. Wound up in many fights, could take care of myself pretty good against one, but not against three or four, and that's always the way it worked out, against three or four! I couldn't buy a date. Girls in the school wouldn't be caught dead with, or even around me. High school was a miserable experience for me! I don't know why I went back to any reunions, but I walked into my 10 year reunion wearing Marine Corps Dress Blues, amazingly, all the people that had picked on me avoided me, most people spoke cordually to me, several of the girls that would have nothing to do with me 10 years earlier, were "friendly", but to be honest, I stayed away from them, didn't feel like having anything to do with them. Went to the 20 year reunion, much the same went on there as it did on the 10th. I doubt I'll go back to another reunion. Just too many bad feelings and memories!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I see your geek and raise ya a Bandcamp... :P:P:P

Our HS had a grad class of about 275. I was among 21 who graduated in the FIRST (...ya, I know...) French Immersion program to be offered outside the French Quarter of Winnipeg. I empathize with "visible minorities" because within the world of school, we WERE a minority and were always segregated - "visible" or not.

On top of that, I was a MAJOR band geek with a minor Geek in photography. My Junior High Social life was scarred (pardon the poor pun) by nearly 200 stitches to my face thanks to a Golden Lab on my paper route 2 years earlier. this carreid into HS despite my efforts to break into the "english party scene" - ultimately playing music and with things mechanical took a larger part of my life then they had a right to at that age. Add the "froggie" thing and you might understand how I wound up with the Class Medals in English, French, Music, and the 3rd highest GPA average in the entire graduating class (....GEEK STAT...). These are NOT qualities that endear you to the "popular" set so you know how I voted and whether I attended the 10th reuinion.

#20 should be interesting. While unlike da bytch I dont expect to have a World Record to hold over the whuffos, I know that no classmates of mine jump - and I'm fine with that. Actually, between my new acccounting position (I account for most of the Quebec operations of Westfair foods - en francais ), my success at anti-geeky sports like sports car racing and skydiving, and a waistline that's only marginally different from my HS days I feel pretty damn good about being a "30 something" without alimony or child support payments! Someday I might even settle down :o

Let the fun contine... Revenge of the Nerds is not just a movie :)
Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I would do anything to go back in time and give up all the fun I had in HS to actually learn what I was supposed to have learned and join the ranks of the Geek.........I am sure paying for it now!:| And I would be in band too!;)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Thats me. I spent most of my time in the shop, didn't play sports, wasn't cool, and lived on a farm. I was always a social outcast. I did have friends and they weren't all nerds.
We had the ten year reunion a mounth ago. Everyone knew who I was I realy haven't changed, I'm still the same size and have all my hair. Most of the popular people now leed boring sometimes lonely lives. When asked what I was doing, besides farming, I'd say jumping from planes. You meen skydiving they'd say. I answered yes and no they have never had to push me either. Me a skydiver who would have ever thunk it.

I left HS 40 years ago this week. Can't say I remember all that much about it. I was remarkably average until the final year when I finally decided to make an effort, and ended up being the only person in my class to win a full tuition + room and board + books scholarship to Cambridge.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.