quade

First U.S. mad cow case confirmed

I just picked up the follwoing on the news wire - that does not look good for the US farmers:

Mad cow: Japan bans US beef
December 24, 2003 - 12:59PM

Japan has temporarily banned the import of US beef after the United States reported its first suspected case of mad cow disease, an official said today.

"We are now withholding the issuance of import permits" on US beef, said Japanese agriculture ministry spokesman Hiroaki Ogura.

"That means for now, (beef) imports have been banned."

He said the measure enacted early this morning was temporary until further information could be gathered.

US Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman announced that a cow from Washington state had tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or mad cow disease.

Japan is the number one export market for US beef, accounting for 32 per cent of US exports in 2002, according to the US Meat Export Federation. Mexico, Canada, South Korea and Hong Kong are the next biggest markets.

---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Japan is the number one export market for US beef, accounting for 32 per cent of US exports in 2002

That just means we'll each have to eat 32% more beef next year to make up the difference. Hmmmmm.........I'm not seeing a down side here.:)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Thats a problem, but it's happened before. When Canada had the one cow mad cow outbreak this spring Japan banned US beef because they didn't think we could segregate US and Canadian beef. Since then all US beef going to Japan had to come from Japaniese approved slauter houses and packing plants.

I don't think the border should have ever been closed. However that is politics.

Price of beef in Canada plunged down to levels as low as $0.30 a pound. However, it never affected the price of beef at the Grocery Store.

Hopefully the border opens to Canada soon. And there will be a free flowing exchange of beef between the US and Canada.

This is not even a little bit good - from any viewpoint.

A form of BSE has been in sheep all over the world for centuries, it's called scrapie.

Well nearly all over the world - Australia and New Zealand are the only two scrapie free countries there are...:)
This BSE in the US is going to cause ructions in the meat and livstock trade around the world - probably much the same as when BSE first went ballistic in the UK.

I don't know how much beef the US exports to Japan and Sth. Korea but I bet it's lots and presumably Japan and Sth. Korea are going to be looking at replacing that from somewhere else, leaving the US with a mountain of beef to do what with ? Who knows where Japan and Sth. Korea going to replace it from - I dunno where else is BSE free apart from Oz and NZ neither of who have much of a surplus.

Wait a couple of weeks or so and we'll start to see all sorts of pressure on just about everyones quarantine provisions as various groups with various interests try and get around the distribution problems. It happened when it all erupted in the UK. Whatever happens, try not to let the administration water down your quarantine provisions. Tell 'em to lay off ours too while you're at it...:)

Ooroo
Mark F...

Considering the cause of MC disease, that seems like a good move. ;)

BSE in cattle is contained in the spinal column, and brain matter. Do YOU eat that?? :S

In England, the cases of MC disease were caused by the use of these disease-carrying parts in cattle feed. A kind of cannibalism in a way. The cattle were eating recycled cattle. Hence the Oprah joke.

There was a huge scare in the UK a couple of years back but thats all it proved to be - a scare. The epidemic they were predicting peaked at 27 per year. more poeple get killed by their toasters each year. The spine and brain tissue only get into food through poor butchery and steaks should be fine.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

Canadian beef is always there for our fine friends to the south during a time of crisis......our cows dont get mad.....they get even ;)

Canadian beef was banned from import to the us just a few months ago;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Canadian beef was banned from import to the us just a few months ago

True, the remarks at the time were that Mad Cow disease could never happen in the US. The rules and regulations were true stringent. It could never happen :S

I hope it will not have the same devestating effect on the US cattle industry as it has had on the Canadian cattle industry.

Political cynics will be amused to watch the American reaction to this latest - tainted beef - scare.

Will they panic the same way they did when one infected cow was diverted at a Canadian slaughter house back in May?

As for Japan banning imports of American beef .... sounds like a non-tariff trade barrier.

Hee! Hee!
Let the fun begin!

Canadian beef is always there for our fine friends to the south during a time of crisis......our cows dont get mad.....they get even ;)

Canadian beef was banned from import to the us just a few months ago;)

our cows dont get mad.....they get even ;)

BSE in cattle is contained in the spinal column, and brain matter. Do YOU eat that??

What amazes me is how little the American public know about cattle and cattle raising. Seems like they'd want to know about their food. The only ones (besides country folk) that tend to know are the hard-core Vegitarians, then they only know what their propaganda tells them. Worthless, absolutely worthless.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

BSE in cattle is contained in the spinal column, and brain matter. Do YOU eat that??

What amazes me is how little the American public know about cattle and cattle raising. Seems like they'd want to know about their food. The only ones (besides country folk) that tend to know are the hard-core Vegitarians, then they only know what their propaganda tells them. Worthless, absolutely worthless.

Isn't that true.
The US consumer is so removed from there food sorce that it's not funny. Most adults think that food comes from a factory or store like everything else. I get sick of answering dumb questions about our farm sometimes. The dumbest ones normaly come from the most educated people I know.
I think it's safe to say that most farmers, myself included take great pride in what we do. It's kind of insulting that more people don't take more interest in where there food comes from.
People only need to do a couple of things to live, eating is one of them.

Stanley Prusiner, the recipient of the 1997 Nobel Prize in Medicine, said in an interview Thursday that Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman and her department refused to listen to his warning after mad cow disease was found in Canada in May. Veneman refused to meet with him.

Prusiner is the discoverer of prions, the agent that causes mad cow disease.

He later ran into Karl Rove, political advisor to GWB and finally managed to meet Veneman.

Isn't it sad that the only way the administration gets to listen to an expert is when it might affect the re-election bid?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The epidemic they were predicting peaked at 27 per year.

The thing is though, as nothing much is known about CJD (the human variant), it's unsure wether the problems from contracting the disease in that scare a few years ago may not become apparent for 10, 15 or more years. The thng is, we just don't know.

That just means we'll each have to eat 32% more beef next year to make up the difference. Hmmmmm.........I'm not seeing a down side here.

As far as I read on the news site, the US only exports approximately 10% of beef produced. So you may only have to eat about 3.2% more beef. Sorry about that ;)

'buttplugs? where?' - geno