Omni

Altico Dolphin?

From browsing Youtube and lurking the forums I don't see a whole lot of posts about the Dolphin.

Is there a reason why it is not as popular as the other containers on the market? Looks, price, lack of options, does it fly or pack funny?
Or is it along the lines of I am jumping from a freaking plane so I am going to buy the best available?

From browsing Youtube and lurking the forums I don't see a whole lot of posts about the Dolphin.

Is there a reason why it is not as popular as the other containers on the market? Looks, price, lack of options, does it fly or pack funny?
Or is it along the lines of I am jumping from a freaking plane so I am going to buy the best available?

Like anything else in skydiving, rigs are pretty much "get what you pay for".

With that said, the Dolphin is a perfectly capable piece of equipment that had to pass the same standards as every other rig in the US at the time of manufacture and is every bit as safe as any other rig, so long as you use it within its' design parameters.

If you are looking for an entry level rig, I suggest you look at the Genera by Rigging Innovations. It's made by the same company that builds several other higher-end rigs and incorporates a lot of that technology.

IMO, dollar for dollar the Genera is a much better value.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Thanks for the link. From what I can tell it pretty much comes down to the fact that it is cheaper so it is viewed as cheap and all the "cool" kids dont jump it so it is over looked.

That is not a correct characterization of why it is a second tier rig.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There is more to it then that.

The Dolphin is offered with very few options and is not as freefly safe as other more expensive containers. If all you are going to do is belly fly and you don't mind the added options then the Dolphin is for you.

Thanks for the link. From what I can tell it pretty much comes down to the fact that it is cheaper so it is viewed as cheap and all the "cool" kids dont jump it so it is over looked.

That is not a correct characterization of why it is a second tier rig.

The primary reason Dolphins got relegated to second tier is because they had so few options and such a tiny mark-up that major dealers saw no profit in carrying them.

If someone offered me a decent second-hand Dolphin, I would sew on a new BOC, new bridle-cover and make a thousand jumps on it.

Hi Rob,

If someone offered me a decent second-hand Dolphin, I would sew on a new BOC, new bridle-cover and make a thousand jumps on it.

Not necessary, you can get that now.

About the only thing the Dolphin does not offer ( compared to so-called 1st tier rigs ) is a MARD & Mag Riser Covers.

Other than that IMO it offers just about what the other rigs offer; except for color selections.

Which brings us to the question: What percentage of rigs sold are all black?

Hmmmmm,,,,,,??????

JerryBaumchen

PS) Mike is also well known for very good customer support and updates that are timely and rather inexpensive.

PPS) And the comment about lack of profit for dealers is IMO dead-on.

i jump a new dolphin manufactured in 2010. if you buy a new dolphin it will have tuck tab risers and reserve pin cover, as well as complete bridal protection. this means you can freefly it if you want.

my rig is comfortable, and for a first rig i only plan on putting 300 or so jumps on, it was a good investment. you buy a new dolphin for about the same price you can get a decent used rig. why not buy the dolphin, beat the shit out of it, then trade up in a couple years.

some people think the reserves are shit for dolphins because the reserve pc has a weak spring. it is true that it has a weak spring, but it has less flaps to go through than say a mirage, so a strong spring isn't needed.

the dolphin system was designed by the same guy who designed the javelin.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Dolphins are good, sound, no-frills containers. I've owned two and liked them both.
The customer service is great and some mods make them more free-fly friendly.
Downside is the resale value is not that great.
For a first rig, I'd recommend the Dolphin.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

some people think the reserves are shit for dolphins because the reserve pc has a weak spring. it is true that it has a weak spring, but it has less flaps to go through than say a mirage, so a strong spring isn't needed.

Other reserver PCs are even weaker, and there the PC goes thru more flaps. See attached.

The Dolphin is offered with very few options and is not as freefly safe as other more expensive containers.

I would like to second Jerry B's rebuttle of this argument. I find that a lot of folks who comment like this tend to only refer to Dolphin's they have seen (that is, Mid-to-late-90's) models..)

The newer dolphins have full tuck tabs across the reserve flap, riser covers, full bridle protection... et cetera. I would place them in the same "freefly friendly' tier as any Mirage or Voodoo. Mike Furry even released a letter allowing the rigger to place the #3 bottom flat above or below the reserve PC, packing it just like the Javelin.
=========Shaun ==========